PageMaker - Import Database ala DataShaper

PageMaker - Import Database ala DataShaper

Post by music.. » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

A few years ago I was doing a project that entailed importing a FM Pro 3
database into PageMaker 5.0.  At that time I use this great little program
called DataShaper.  Since then, as far as I know the utility hasn't been
updated and the company is out of business.  Now I am using PageMaker 6.5
and FileMaker Pro 4.0 and need to do the same thing.

DataShaper allowed me to do the following:

Preformat imported field via either DBF or Tab Delimited format (it has
been so long but I think it is the latter) by assigning, in PageMaker what
each Tab separation's formating was.  This was then saved as a template in
PM then when I imported the FM info, I would call on the template.  As PM
formated the info using the template, everthing was great.

I have tried to use preformating using the DataShaper format on the FM Pro
side and have run into a snag with PM's paragraph return codes.  When I
last spoke with Adobe, they were still figuring out their formatting codes
like this one in question.  And as usual, not all the codes made it into
the manual.  If it did, I would have no problem.  So if anyone knows of a
solution or may have addressed this issue themselves, I would appreciate
any info.

Needless to say I have the same project again as I did years ago.  The
short of it...I am creating a book/manual version of my Olympic system I
designed for CBS for the 98 Olympics.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael

PageMaker - Import Database ala DataShaper

Post by Richard Robert » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

We just finished writing a plug-in that allows you to publish your
database in PageMaker. It will be released next week. It is called
GalleyMaster XD, and it allows you to export data from a database
program in tab or comma delimited format, and apply character, paragraph
and tab styles to each of the records and fields of your database. It
also has the ability to let you put the filename of a graphic in one of
your database fields, and have that graphic imported as an inline
graphic along with your text. Using this feature you could produce
catalogs with illustrations from a database. A similar feature is
available for inline text files, which would let you specify a filename
for a text file in a database field, and have that textfile imported
with the style and paragraph specs that you applied to that field. This
might be useful for newspaper and magazine publishing.

The Macintosh version is done, we are finishing the documentation and
packaging right now. The Windows version is 90% done, probably another
2-4 weeks for the release of that. The price for the plug-in is $299,
and there is a 30 day money back guarantee.

I hate to post such a quasi-commercial to the list, but I thought you
and others would like to know...

Richard F. Roberts
Chief Galley Slave
GalleyMaster Software Inc.
Honolulu, HI

Voice - 808-396-1414
Web - http://www.galleymaster.com

1. URGENT: PageMaker import/import & database connectivity

Hi there,

A friend has a product catalog of some 300 pages neatly aligned in
tabular format and all done in PM.

We now need to get these products into a relational database (Oracle or
Sybase etc.)

I have personally never used PM so am working blind here. If anyone has
any idea of wether or not this is even possible let alone know of
methods of how this can be done, please let me know URGENTLY!

I read somewhere about ODBC plugins and somewhere else about being able
to export to MS Excel but nothing concrete .... grrrr

Of course if there was a way to use ODBC to keep the two linked, this
would be first prize as both the database and the physical catalog will
have to be updated and changed regularly.

PLEASE help us out here !!!

Many thanx
Grant

2. Removing Jagged Edges from a PICT

3. Importing a Database into Pagemaker or QuarkXpress

4. Finding...Dreamo?

5. Importing from Database into Pagemaker - Formating

6. converting Word files? Anyone please

7. Datashaper/Pagemaker help needed

8. extract icon from dll

9. DataShaper or importing formatted text

10. importing pagemaker 5.0J file in pagemaker 6.5

11. Database import question--sort of

12. New Mail Merge and Database publishing Plug-in for PageMaker

13. Pagemaker-Scripting with databases