PM newbie needs advice: 6.0 vs 6.5

Post by Dave Ell » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

What problems will I face if I use 6.0, instead of 6.5, to
learn PM on WinTel and discover whether my interest in page
layout is serious or a passing fancy?

I'd rather not spend the hundred bucks to upgrade unless
there's persistent interest and I've doped out whether I'll
stick to newsletters that can be printed on a Laserjet or make
a career change into prepress work. --Dave

PM newbie needs advice: 6.0 vs 6.5

Post by random-nois » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I little confused, as I think 6.5 to 6.0 would be a downgrade.  If you want
to try 6.5, go to Kinko's and rent one of their computers for 20 cents a
minute.  Give it a spin and see what you think.  The app should be on every
Mac and IBM (Win95).

Quote:> What problems will I face if I use 6.0, instead of 6.5, to
> learn PM on WinTel and discover whether my interest in page
> layout is serious or a passing fancy?

> I'd rather not spend the hundred bucks to upgrade unless
> there's persistent interest and I've doped out whether I'll
> stick to newsletters that can be printed on a Laserjet or make
> a career change into prepress work. --Dave

PM newbie needs advice: 6.0 vs 6.5

Post by buddy » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I may be way off, but if you have 6.0 I believe you can download the
6.52 from Adobe's site at no extra charge.
BuddyB

Post by Brandon Blatch » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I may be way off, but if you have 6.0 I believe you can download the
> 6.52 from Adobe's site at no extra charge.
> BuddyB

Nope. You have to upgrade to 6.5 from 6.0. The updater from 6.5 to 6.52 is
available from Adob's site at no extra charge.

-Brandon

PM newbie needs advice: 6.0 vs 6.5

Post by buddy » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

You're absolutely right; I remember how it went for me now.
BuddyB

Post by John Jord » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>What problems will I face if I use 6.0, instead of 6.5, to
>learn PM on WinTel and discover whether my interest in page
>layout is serious or a passing fancy?

>I'd rather not spend the hundred bucks to upgrade unless
>there's persistent interest and I've doped out whether I'll
>stick to newsletters that can be printed on a Laserjet or make
>a career change into prepress work. --Dave

I believe Adobe has an info sheet on their web site which lists the
major reasons to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5 -- i.e., the new features.

The upgrade is not all that phenomenal. Major addition was the ability
to use frames, a la QuarkXPress. The rest, while well worth it for a
professional, were minor usability enhancements. PageMaker 6.5 can
open 6.0 documents and even save its own documents in 6.0 format, so
there should be nothing lost in using 6.0 to learn about PageMaker.

NOTICE: The e-mail address is deliberately incorrect. Make the ISP
read "nwpacifica.net" by adding a "w."

1. PM 6.0/6.5 Template Needed

greetings:

anyone know where i can find PM 6.0 or 6.5 templates for tickets (the
kind you use for events such as concerts etc.)?

thanks

Stan Cherian - Administrator at Temple University's
Office of Student Activities by Day and O Stanley,
o indiano que e capaz de desarmar qualquer situac?o
com seu humor sarcastico by night.  Visit my page at:
http://astro.ocis.temple.edu/~scherian

2. City font

3. e.mailing PM 6.5 files, advice needed.

4. Hercules Terminator 3D/DX or Hercules Dynamite 128/Video?

5. Help needed converting PM 6.5 libary to PM 7

6. Decrease rendering time??

7. PM 6.5: Import of Word for Windows tables into PM 6.5

8. Converting PM 6.0 >>> 6.5

9. Printing problem w/PM 6.0 &6.5

10. Why is PM 6.5 so slower than 6.0?

11. Books on PM 6.5 for a newbie?