Importing from Database into Pagemaker - Formating

Importing from Database into Pagemaker - Formating

Post by Christoph Ha » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello there,
I need to import data from a database into Pagemaker. I've found out
about the ODBC-Function and I've managed to import the data in some
was. But now there's the formatting problem. There are only two basic
formatting options in the ODBC-Pugin I have: That is the Table-Form
and Label-Form. The latter is allready quite good, but it has the
Problem that it starts every imported  Field with a tab.

I have also found out that these formats seem to be defined in files
with the ending .ADW. Unfortunately they are not textfiles that might
be edited. Does anyone know more about these an/or how I can define my
own import-style?

(When postin to this newsgroup, please do also send a copy of your

Thank you for your help!

Christoph.

Importing from Database into Pagemaker - Formating

Post by Bubble » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00

If the only real problem with the imported text is that there are too many
tabs - do a search through with Find/Replace putting tab in Find and nothing
in replace. That will remove the tabs. If you want all removed, use "yes to
all" - if not, you will have to work through with the "find next" and yes/no
buttons.

Bubbles

>Hello there,
>I need to import data from a database into Pagemaker. I've found out
>about the ODBC-Function and I've managed to import the data in some
>was. But now there's the formatting problem. There are only two basic
>formatting options in the ODBC-Pugin I have: That is the Table-Form
>and Label-Form. The latter is allready quite good, but it has the
>Problem that it starts every imported  Field with a tab.

>I have also found out that these formats seem to be defined in files
>with the ending .ADW. Unfortunately they are not textfiles that might
>be edited. Does anyone know more about these an/or how I can define my
>own import-style?

>(When postin to this newsgroup, please do also send a copy of your

>Thank you for your help!

>Christoph.

Importing from Database into Pagemaker - Formating

Post by GS Batchelo » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

If you do this often, then consider Galleymaster software. They have a PM
data import utility that make this very easy. It allows you to spec in tabs,
returns, etc. and to assign styles to different fields.
www.galleymaster.com

> Hello there,
> I need to import data from a database into Pagemaker. I've found out
> about the ODBC-Function and I've managed to import the data in some
> was. But now there's the formatting problem. There are only two basic
> formatting options in the ODBC-Pugin I have: That is the Table-Form
> and Label-Form. The latter is allready quite good, but it has the
> Problem that it starts every imported  Field with a tab.

> I have also found out that these formats seem to be defined in files
> with the ending .ADW. Unfortunately they are not textfiles that might
> be edited. Does anyone know more about these an/or how I can define my
> own import-style?

> (When postin to this newsgroup, please do also send a copy of your

> Thank you for your help!

> Christoph.

1. URGENT: PageMaker import/import & database connectivity

Hi there,

A friend has a product catalog of some 300 pages neatly aligned in
tabular format and all done in PM.

We now need to get these products into a relational database (Oracle or
Sybase etc.)

I have personally never used PM so am working blind here. If anyone has
any idea of wether or not this is even possible let alone know of
methods of how this can be done, please let me know URGENTLY!

I read somewhere about ODBC plugins and somewhere else about being able
to export to MS Excel but nothing concrete .... grrrr

Of course if there was a way to use ODBC to keep the two linked, this
would be first prize as both the database and the physical catalog will
have to be updated and changed regularly.

PLEASE help us out here !!!

Many thanx
Grant

2. ViewSonic 20G and Diamnond Stealth VRAM PCI card

3. Importing a Database into Pagemaker or QuarkXpress

4. Thanks

5. PageMaker - Import Database ala DataShaper

6. Need digital prints

7. importing pagemaker 5.0J file in pagemaker 6.5

8. Database import question--sort of

9. New Mail Merge and Database publishing Plug-in for PageMaker

10. Pagemaker-Scripting with databases

11. question: databases and images - can pagemaker do it?

12. Pagemaker & Database