Illustrator 7.0...for Mac and PC

Post by Robert Olive » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Adobe has finally made an official announcement for Illustrator
7.0...and will finally be letting poor PC users catch up to the rest of
the world:

http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/illustrator/main.html

Steeltown: a Big Country web site
http://www.mint.net/~roliver/bc-mint.htm

Big Country: The greatest Scottish rock band you've never heard

Illustrator 7.0...for Mac and PC

Post by John Jord » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Adobe has finally made an official announcement for Illustrator
>7.0...and will finally be letting poor PC users catch up to the rest of
>the world:

>http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/illustrator/main.html

HOORAY!

Am downloading the info files right now as I type this. First thing
tomorrow I place my order!

NOTICE: I just changed ISP's, but I left my old e-mail address in the
message header to foil robotic mailing list generation software. If
you really need to email me, my new service provider is "SpiritOne."
If you are human, you should be able to correct the address.

Illustrator 7.0...for Mac and PC

Post by John Jord » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Adobe has finally made an official announcement for Illustrator
>7.0...and will finally be letting poor PC users catch up to the rest of
>the world:

>http://www.veryComputer.com/

Everyone with even a passing interest should go there and view the
brochure and the competitive comparison PDF files. Adobe has answered
most of the questions about the new Illustrator 7.0. The competitive
comparison file was kind of slanted, but what sales document isn't?

I noted with glee that the Windows version is fully supported under
Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0. And it comes with a CorelDRAW 5.0 and
6.0 import filter. Also a CMX import filter, among many others. And it
promises it can open "any EPS image." Heheheh. Wait til someone tries
something CorelDRAW 4.0 exported ...   :)

It does NOT come with ump* million fonts and a gazillion clipart
images. But I don't need those much anyway. You do get 300 fonts from
Type on Call (didn't list which ones, however). And their press
release from last summer said it would be bundled with ATM 4.0, but
there was no mention of it. Probably they still haven't got the NT
version working.

Now if I could just find a projected release date ...

Gonna call tomorrow to see about ordering. Adobe's order line is
800-649-3875 from North America.

NOTICE: I just changed ISP's, but I left my old e-mail address in the
message header to foil robotic mailing list generation software. If
you really need to email me, my new service provider is "SpiritOne."
If you are human, you should be able to correct the address.

Illustrator 7.0...for Mac and PC

Post by Robert Olive » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Now if I could just find a projected release date ...

I seem to recall the month of May being mentioned somewhere at the Adobe
site...which means June or July probably.

Post by John Jord » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> Now if I could just find a projected release date ...

>I seem to recall the month of May being mentioned somewhere at the Adobe
>site...which means June or July probably.

Heheh. Probably true.

If you get the competitive upgrade, it is $249 for Windows users, and
the mail order places don't sell it for more than a couple of dollars
cheaper -- just enough to offset the postage cost.

But anyone who buys Illustrator 4.1 for Windows after April 15 is
entitled to upgrade to 7.0 for just the cost of shipping, which Adobe
told me today will be $10.50. And you can get Illustrator 4.1 for
about $145 or less today.

So this morning I ordered Illustrator 4.1. It should be here tomorrow.
Probably won't bother to install it though.

Post by Andrei Herasimchu » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> > Now if I could just find a projected release date ...

> I seem to recall the month of May being mentioned somewhere at the Adobe
> site...which means June or July probably.

It won't be that long.

Andrei

Illustrator 7.0...for Mac and PC

Post by Brand » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Andrei,

You mentioned that you worked on Illustrater. I'm curious what did you do?

Brandon

Nothing quoteable to say today

Illustrator 7.0...for Mac and PC

Post by Andrei Herasimchu » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> You mentioned that you worked on Illustrater. I'm curious what did you do?

I do the user interface design for the graphics products at Adobe. I worked on
Photoshop 4.0, PageMaker 6.5, Persuassion 4.0 and now Illustrator 7.0

Depending on what you think of all the changes made to the programs recently,
I'm either you're most loved person or most hated.

Either way, I know all the programs inside and out at this point and can answer
almost any question in regards to using them. I am not very good at answering
problems about why something wouldn't print. That would best be left to Tech
support.

Take care.

Post by Brand » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>> You mentioned that you worked on Illustrater. I'm curious what did you do?

>I do the user interface design for the graphics products at Adobe. I worked on
>Photoshop 4.0, PageMaker 6.5, Persuassion 4.0 and now Illustrator 7.0

>Depending on what you think of all the changes made to the programs recently,
>I'm either you're most loved person or most hated.

>Either way, I know all the programs inside and out at this point and can answer
>almost any question in regards to using them. I am not very good at answering
>problems about why something wouldn't print. That would best be left to Tech
>support.

>Take care.

You did the interface for Photoshop, huh? Then by all means sir, please
take a bow. You did a fablous job and made my life much easier.

I've just finished my shift as a prepress operator, most of which was
spent turning a fall picture of hospital into a spring picture of a
hospital (making grass green, adding leaves to leaveless trees, etc) The
contextual menus, palettes, keyboard shortcuts, added greatly to how easy
it was to do. Heck, it was even fun!

Photoshop 4 is a very powerful program. Your intuitive interface design
puts that power at my fingertips, allowing me to create much easier,
rather than roam trying to use my tools. You REALLY did a great a job.

Having said that may I make one quick suggestion? Could you please put the
Restore Default Palette Position under a menu with a keyboard shortcut,
rather than tucked away in the preference box? I work at a printer with
three shifts, so naturally everyone moves around palettes as they
personally see fit. I LOVE the default position , but its a pain in the
*to constantly have to go to the general preferences, click a button,
then click ok. A keyboard command would be so much faster.

I see you also did the interface for PageMaker 6.5. Well, it better than
before. I generally don't PageMaker but Adobe seems to be * into
shape slowly but surely. Heres to PageMaker 7.0.

Now, as to Illustrater 7.0. Well.... I haven't got my hands on it yet, but
I've read the feature list and I've read the quick review in Macworld and
I'm less than impressed. Not such by the interface but a VERY stingy lack
of new features. Whats the deal here? Was this just mostly an interface
overhaul to ensure that all the Adobe products now behave the same way? If
so, then thats hardly a reason to go to 7.0. Smells more like a 6.5 to me.
Yes, I know its a major advance forward for Windows users, but frankly I"m
not one of them. I'm one of the Mac users, remember us? The ones who have
continually bought Illustrater for the past five years? I was not
overwhelmed with Illustrater 6.0, heck not even particluarly pleased.
Illustrater 7.0 *seems* to be a major disappointment not only for the Mac
side but for the Program in general. Here's a couple of reasons why:

Blending. Simply put Illustrater sucks when it comes to blending. I've
been seriously playing with Freehand 7.0 for the past week, and its kicks
Illustraters butt. You blend gradients. It automatically blends for you
and you can change the number of steps in the blend without reblending.
You can change the shape of any of the original objects and Freehand will
reblend the new shape automatically! You blend more than two objects! Does
Illustrater 7.0 in any way improve on its blending abilities?

In Illustrater 7.0, will the inset path filter work correctly? The 6.0
version puts these annoying little triangles at odd corners. The
workaround? Spend 100 bucks and buy KPT Vector Tools. It has and inset
filter that works like a charm.

How will Illustrater 7 handle drag and drop with images? If you drag an
image to Illustrater 7 will it become embedded in the file or will
Illustrater link to it? How will Illustrater handle drag and drop between
PageMaker? Will type reformat? Will PM drawn graphics become Illustrater
bezier paths? Will Illustrater be able to drag and drop images from
Photoshop 4.0 at the resolution of the original image or will it import
just a 72 dpi image like 6.0? Will Illustrater be able to drag and drop
between Freehand? How about Quark 3.3? Quark 4.0?

How about style sheets? When are they coming? Graphical and textual. Will
Illustrater 7.0 support faster display of type? 6.0 crawls when you have a
full 8.5*11 page of type.

How about multipage support?

Will Illustrater 7.0 be able to open multi page PDF files all at once, or
will you still be limited to one page at a time?

Will Illustrater 7.0 support faster processing of Photoshop filters from
within Illustrater? This feature is pretty unusable right now except for
72 dpi images or small high rez stuff?

Will Illustrater 7.0 automatically update linked images? Will you be able
to change the link from within Illustrater if need be? Will the links
support OPI, allowing me to place low rez? Will Illustrater support better
previews of its files? I've noticed PageMaker 6.5 allows you build your
own previews of EPS images. This feature works great and is a major boon
for me. Will Illustrater 7 allow you the same flexibility from within?

Illustrater 7 will do Postscript 3. Fab. What kind of upgrade will I need
for my printer and/or imagesetters to take advantage of this? A new
driver? Completely new printer and/or imagestter?

Lastly, Dimensions 3.0. Please tell me you worked on the interface. The
one in 2.0 was terrible, so i'm hoping that 3.0 will be better. god knows
it can't get worse.

Will it be pratical to wrap raster images around objects in Dimensions?
Yeah, I know it'll be a feature but will be a an intensive memory hog,
making the feature pratically useless?

In summary, I'm not to e*d about Illustrater 7. I AM real e*d
about Freehand 7. Its got power to spare with features up the wazoo. Yet
the interface police should be all of this baby (hinit, hint). Adobe's
commitment to Illustrater 7 seems less than stellar. This upgrade seems so
trite that I'm seriously, at last, thinking of switching to Freehand for
my Illustration needs.

Yes, I know you can't do much about the program, but you work for Adobe so
I thought I would voice my concerns and questions?

Thanks for listening and again, great job on Photoshop 4

Brandon

Nothing quoteable to say today

1. Illustrator?Mac to Pc Preview

This is probably something so basic, but I cannot figure this out . . .

I have a reverse logo (white art, no background) created originally in
AI6.0 (mac). This logo has been "saved as" in various enlarged and
reduced eps versions for clients to import/place into their pagelayout
apps. Work great on the mac.

I open these eps files in AI8.0 (we've upgraded), save as eps now for
the PC, preview of 8-bit IBM-PC, and select "include document
thumbnails."

Some of these reverse logos preview great when placed in Pagemaker 6.5
on the PC, while others place with a white box that is the same size as
the "bounding box." Yet all print fine to a postscript printer, with no
bounding box!

Here's the question: Why do some preview just fine, while others give
me the white box? And what do I need to do in AI to eliminate this
white box on the PC versions of the logos?

Perplexed in PA!

P.S.  I'd be more than happy to send copies of these files as email
attachments to anyone if it would help to solve this problem.

Jim Lukens-Gable
Penn State Document Services

2. Human face modeling tutorial! (for AM)

3. Illustrator file from PC to Mac

4. Windows xp and max r3.1

5. Mac Illustrator-->PC Corel??

6. Rotate text

7. Illustrator (mac) -> Corel Draw (pc)

8. PC Illustrator files to a MAC?

9. Illustrator fil from PC to Mac

10. Does Illustrator for PC have same features as Mac version

11. WP PC files to Mac Illustrator