What's the best export option?

Post by Dave Gerhar » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:31:22

I'm doing design work in PageMaker 7.0 on a PC using those
handy-but-imcompatible TrueType fonts.  My work has to go to either a
digital printer (Indigo/NextPress) or a traditional press, and my service
beureas are all Mac-based.  The fonts are killing me in that the True-Type
never translate 100% (even with Fontographer) so I'm wondering which option
is the best for an all-inclusive save:  the export to PDF os print to EPS?
If there is another option, I'm all ears.  I've got a project right bow that
I'm dead in the water until I find a solution that works.  Thanks for the
input.

Dave Gerhart
MorningStar Studios

What's the best export option?

Post by Dick Marguli » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:32:28

Talk through the PDF option with your service bureaus. They should have
a workflow that works for them. They will specify Distiller settings (or
maybe even provide you a Distiller settings file) for you to use. Then
you should be all set.

If none of the service bureaus you currently do business with can
accommodate TrueType fonts and none of them can accommodate PDFs, find
yourself a better service bureau.

Post by Paul Harri » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:37:55

> If none of the service bureaus you currently do business with can
> accommodate TrueType fonts and none of them can accommodate PDFs, find
> yourself a better service bureau.

If*'s suggestions don't work, and you're up for a change in
software, you might think of InDesign. Apparently if you copy PC fonts
to the font folder in Mac InDesign, it can see and use them. I haven't
tried this yet (I use a Mac), but have read about it several times.
Therefore, you could give PC InDesign files to your Mac-based service
provider, and (assuming they also have ID), as long as you provide them
with the requisite fonts, everything should go swimmingly.

InDesign also does a tolerably good job of converting Pagemaker files.

Paul Harris
Victoria, BC

Post by Andreas Prilo » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:40:46

> I'm doing design work in PageMaker 7.0 on a PC using those
> handy-but-imcompatible TrueType fonts.  My work has to go to either a
> digital printer (Indigo/NextPress) or a traditional press, and my service
> beureas are all Mac-based.  The fonts are killing me in that the True-Type
> never translate 100% (even with Fontographer)

If you work with Fontographer yourself, generate PostScript fonts in
"Adobe Standard encoding" - assuming you have only West European Latin
characters.

--
Top posting.
What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

What's the best export option?

Post by r.. » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:53:00

It is incomprehensible to me that all your local service bureaus are
Mac-based. I would say that the majority I know of are PC-based but
Mac-capable, which is largely as it should be given the distribution
of the various platforms among the graphics community.

My advice is that it's their problem: if they want your business they
should handle whatever legitimately produced file formats and fonts
you use.

Are we 10 years past this sort of argument?

R.

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 18:31:22 -0400, "Dave Gerhart"

>I'm doing design work in PageMaker 7.0 on a PC using those
>handy-but-imcompatible TrueType fonts.  My work has to go to either a
>digital printer (Indigo/NextPress) or a traditional press, and my service
>beureas are all Mac-based.  The fonts are killing me in that the True-Type
>never translate 100% (even with Fontographer) so I'm wondering which option
>is the best for an all-inclusive save:  the export to PDF os print to EPS?
>If there is another option, I'm all ears.  I've got a project right bow that
>I'm dead in the water until I find a solution that works.  Thanks for the
>input.

>Dave Gerhart
>MorningStar Studios

1. Raytracing: What's the best option?

Hello all...

I have been a raytracing hobbyist for around two years now and I was raised on POVray
1.0... During that two years I have tried many raytracing programs including Moray, POVray
2.0, TrueSpace 2.0, 3D Studio 4.0, and some other assorted modellers/tracers. I like the
ease of use with 3DS4, but it is not a raytracer, it's a renderer. TrueSpace 2.0 was
really nice, but I had problems with getting a complete texture fill on my objects. POVray
is great but not as easy to manipulate as TrueSpace or 3DS.

Can anyone reccomend what they believe to be the "end all" for raytracers? Speciffically,
it should run in DOS or Win95 (Preferably *not* a Win3.1 app), be reliable, be versatile,
have a GUI modeller, have realistic textures, and be a TRUE raytracer. By true raytracer,
I mean a renderer that generates true reflections and shadows.

Huh, maybe I should just go back to POVray and Moray.... :-)

Anyways, all help is greatly appreciated.

2. Changing Colormap Problem (newbie)

3. Exporting DirectX meshes, can't export Animation properly

4. MotionBlur in Reflection with Raytracing

5. export-option of SceneViewer 1.x

6. fast dither

7. V. 4.0...EXPORT option not available...Please advise

8. PS + Genius Newsketch1212HR Editing Problems

9. Option of Path export

10. max2.5 and export options

11. Export options