PageMaker 6.5 / XP - files don't show up during Place

PageMaker 6.5 / XP - files don't show up during Place

Post by Linelle Lan » Sat, 10 May 2003 11:05:03

I'm running PM 6.5 under XP. Everything was fine using Win98. XP was
clean-installed and I reloaded all my apps.

The problem I'm having is intermittent (although it rarely works right). I
was working on an upcoming newsletter *before* my OS changed. Articles are
always submitted in Word, where I do basic editing. I save all the Word docs
in a folder for each issue.

After going to XP, I saved some new articles. When in PageMaker, in my new
issue, I go to File, Place to insert a new story. The new articles don't
show up in the folder! I check Windows Explorer, and they are there. Back to
PM, they don't show.

Could it have anything to do with permissions and Administrator privileges?
I am the only person who uses my computer and who works on these files. But
this behavior is almost as if the files I'm looking for are thought to be
owned by someone with more privileges. It's all just me!
--

Linelle

PageMaker 6.5 / XP - files don't show up during Place

Post by Gordon Wool » Sat, 10 May 2003 15:44:21

You do need to install PageMaker and use it as "administrator" in XP.

However, if you did a fresh install of the program, with a custom
install, you could have missed the scroll bars in the install program
for the filters section.

Quote:>I'm running PM 6.5 under XP. Everything was fine using Win98. XP was
>clean-installed and I reloaded all my apps.

>The problem I'm having is intermittent (although it rarely works right). I
>was working on an upcoming newsletter *before* my OS changed. Articles are
>always submitted in Word, where I do basic editing. I save all the Word docs
>in a folder for each issue.

>After going to XP, I saved some new articles. When in PageMaker, in my new
>issue, I go to File, Place to insert a new story. The new articles don't
>show up in the folder! I check Windows Explorer, and they are there. Back to
>PM, they don't show.

>Could it have anything to do with permissions and Administrator privileges?
>I am the only person who uses my computer and who works on these files. But
>this behavior is almost as if the files I'm looking for are thought to be
>owned by someone with more privileges. It's all just me!

--
Gordon Woolf
The Worsley Press <www.worsleypress.com>

PageMaker 6.5 / XP - files don't show up during Place

Post by Marek William » Sun, 11 May 2003 01:26:44

dijo:

Quote:>I'm running PM 6.5 under XP. Everything was fine using Win98. XP was
>clean-installed and I reloaded all my apps.

>The problem I'm having is intermittent (although it rarely works right). I
>was working on an upcoming newsletter *before* my OS changed. Articles are
>always submitted in Word, where I do basic editing. I save all the Word docs
>in a folder for each issue.

>After going to XP, I saved some new articles. When in PageMaker, in my new
>issue, I go to File, Place to insert a new story. The new articles don't
>show up in the folder! I check Windows Explorer, and they are there. Back to
>PM, they don't show.

>Could it have anything to do with permissions and Administrator privileges?
>I am the only person who uses my computer and who works on these files. But
>this behavior is almost as if the files I'm looking for are thought to be
>owned by someone with more privileges. It's all just me!

If I recall correctly, this was one of the problems using PageMaker
6.5 on Windows 2000 and XP. (Also a problem with shutting PageMaker
down.) The fix is to upgrade to 7.0.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

1. Placed .tif /.pic files unreadable when exported to pdf from PageMaker 6.5

Scanned tifs have been placed in a Pagemaker file which is then exported as
one pdf file for the web. The tifs become highly pixelized and unreadable on
the pdf. I've tried them as eps and pics, too...what works???

see problems at:

http://www.generalaviation.org/pdfs/99gamadata.pdf

2. converting an elevation to RGB or HLS?

3. Problem printing placed Illustrator files in Pagemaker 6.5

4. NYC Job

5. Opening PageMaker 6.5 PC files in PageMaker 6.5 on a Mac

6. double-buffering

7. TIFF files don't show under All Image Files

8. Pagemaker 6.5 crashed on my Mac...Can't open file

9. PAGEMAKER 6.5 COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS XP?

10. Pagemaker 6.5 and XP?

11. Pagemaker 6.5 and Windows XP

12. Placing Images into PageMaker 6.5