Adobe grey Text isn't grey

Post by Jo Klieb » Fri, 14 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

we are working with Pagemaker 6.52 and have the
problem that grey text (20% grey) comes out as black text
on our Laser printers (HP-Laserjet . Kyocera FS1700)
Does anybody know why?

Thank you

Adobe grey Text isn't grey

Post by nltnm » Fri, 14 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> we are working with Pagemaker 6.52 and have the
> problem that grey text (20% grey) comes out as black text
> on our Laser printers (HP-Laserjet . Kyocera FS1700)
> Does anybody know why?

> Thank you

i'm not sure, but it may be that you need to have ps card. i understand
that hp printer may be laser, but not postscript. but i could be wrong.

Adobe grey Text isn't grey

Post by W TR » Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>Subject: Adobe grey Text isn't grey

>Date: Thu, Nov 13, 1997 12:01 EST

>Hi,

>we are working with Pagemaker 6.52 and have the
>problem that grey text (20% grey) comes out as black text
>on our Laser printers (HP-Laserjet . Kyocera FS1700)
>Does anybody know why?

>Thank you

***
RESPONSE:
You need to have a Postscript printer if you're going to be doing any serious
 DTP.

Warren Tryk Design
Keizer, Oregon (45.00N,123.01W)

///
Remember: Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.
\\\

Adobe grey Text isn't grey

Post by Ken Holme » Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>Hi,

>>we are working with Pagemaker 6.52 and have the
>>problem that grey text (20% grey) comes out as black text
>>on our Laser printers (HP-Laserjet . Kyocera FS1700)
>>Does anybody know why?

>>Thank you
>***
>RESPONSE:
>You need to have a Postscript printer if you're going to be doing any
serious
> DTP.

>Warren Tryk Design
>Keizer, Oregon (45.00N,123.01W)

>///
>Remember: Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.
>\\\

Yes Warren, a postscript printer is nice for "serious DTP"  but any laser
printer should be able to handle grey text.  I've never had too much trouble
with the "serious dtp" that I have done.
I did have this same problem with the greys printing in black and the
solution was not to go out and drop $1000 or more on a new printer, all I
needed was a new driver.  Free from HP.
Check it out, it just might work.

Adobe grey Text isn't grey

Post by Cy Galle » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Your Printer isn't fully compatible with PageMaker.  PageMaker forces
PostScript.  DTP can be done without PS but not in PageMaker.

>>Subject: Adobe grey Text isn't grey

>>Date: Thu, Nov 13, 1997 12:01 EST

>>Hi,

>>we are working with Pagemaker 6.52 and have the
>>problem that grey text (20% grey) comes out as black text
>>on our Laser printers (HP-Laserjet . Kyocera FS1700)
>>Does anybody know why?

>>Thank you
>***
>RESPONSE:
>You need to have a Postscript printer if you're going to be doing any
serious
> DTP.

>Warren Tryk Design
>Keizer, Oregon (45.00N,123.01W)

>///
>Remember: Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.
>\\\

Adobe grey Text isn't grey

Post by Russ M. Collie » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Another thing that should be checked: Are you printing the entire
publication in greyscale or all colors in black?

--
Russ M. Collier
Assistant Manager

http://www.inu.net/jpc
The views expressed herein are those of the author and do
not necessarily express the views or opinions of the staff
or management of Jasper Printing Company.

Post by Gordon Woo » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>Your Printer isn't fully compatible with PageMaker.  PageMaker forces
>PostScript.  DTP can be done without PS but not in PageMaker.

That just isn't true.

Yes, it is nice (maybe ALMOST essential) to have Postscript if you are
using PageMaker, and the program is designed to take advantage of
features you get in PS which you don't get in many non-PS printers.

But you CAN use PM with non-PS printers and in fact we have an old
non-PS printer on the network for those times when a PS file won't
print and we don't have time to find out why.

We also print colour proofs to an inkjet and IF that needs to cope
with EPS graphics, we send it an Acrobat file but it copes with most
PM output direct including clipping paths in TIFFs.

--------------
Gordon Woolf, The Worsley Press, Hastings, Victoria, Australia.

Our books: www.peg.apc.org/~worsley
Our PageMaker newsletter: www.peg.apc.org/~worsley/newsletter.html
--------------

Adobe grey Text isn't grey

Post by Gregory Batchelo » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Are you specifying 20% grey or 20% black? If it is grey, you will get mixed
results depending on the printer and what options you have selected. When
specifying a tint, be sure it is specified as a tint of a parent color and
not created as an independent color. Be sure the "print colors as black"
box is not selected, otherwise, unless it is a true tint of a parent color,
it will print solid.

--
PLEASE NOTE: The correct reply domain is "access mountain.net"
I regret having to take this action but the SPAM is just too much.

> > Hi,

> > we are working with Pagemaker 6.52 and have the
> > problem that grey text (20% grey) comes out as black text
> > on our Laser printers (HP-Laserjet . Kyocera FS1700)
> > Does anybody know why?

> > Thank you

> i'm not sure, but it may be that you need to have ps card. i understand
> that hp printer may be laser, but not postscript. but i could be wrong.

Adobe grey Text isn't grey

Post by Gregory Batchelo » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I've never heard such a thing. Of course PM will work with non-PostScript
printers. Just don't expect tints and halftones to look great - tinted type
included.
--
PLEASE NOTE: The correct reply domain is "access mountain.net"
I regret having to take this action but the SPAM is just too much.

> Your Printer isn't fully compatible with PageMaker.  PageMaker forces
> PostScript.  DTP can be done without PS but not in PageMaker.

> >>Subject: Adobe grey Text isn't grey

> >>Date: Thu, Nov 13, 1997 12:01 EST

> >>Hi,

> >>we are working with Pagemaker 6.52 and have the
> >>problem that grey text (20% grey) comes out as black text
> >>on our Laser printers (HP-Laserjet . Kyocera FS1700)
> >>Does anybody know why?

> >>Thank you
> >***
> >RESPONSE:
> >You need to have a Postscript printer if you're going to be doing any
> serious
> > DTP.

> >Warren Tryk Design
> >Keizer, Oregon (45.00N,123.01W)

> >///
> >Remember: Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.
> >\\\

Adobe grey Text isn't grey

Post by Cy Galle » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

You are not alone.  My HP 4 does the same thing as it isn't post script.  It
is part of the mystique
of those in the DTP and pre-press businees that you can't get professional
result without this arcane Post Script nonsense.  The whole industry has
adopted it so if you want to use PM you need a PS printer.

-