PM, PDF and Windows 2000

Post by Stefano Malavas » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 02:30:20

Hi,
        I had installaed PM 6.5 with Windows 98 as operation system
and creating PDF with PM was fine. I had to upgrade to Windows 2000 so
I installed PM 6.5 and downloaded the lastes PS driver from adobe
site. I wasn't able to create PDF (usually with big documents) so I
took a look at adobe site and NG and I found out that PM 6.5 isn't so
"compatible" with win 2k and adobe suggest to upgrade to version 7.0.
I got the upgrade now but it still doesn't work !
I have created a .ps (printing on file) and then I tryed to convert to
pdf with adobe acrobat 4.0 but I still got errors ! If I look at ps,
ex. with ghostview, it's corrupted. Sometimes I have only particulars
of one image. I tryed to produce a "eps" and, it seems ok, the only
one inconvenient it's that I have 1 file for every page ... and this
isn't good to produce a unique pdf (I have many document to convert in
pdf). Is there a solution, for producing a "good" ps or a eps with all
my pages ?

Thanks in advance

       Stefano Malavasi

Note:           Remove _REMOVE_ string to reply

PM, PDF and Windows 2000

Post by Neil Goul » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:51:27

Hi,

(mostly snipped)

Quote:> Hi,
> I have created a .ps (printing on file) and then I tryed to convert to
> pdf with adobe acrobat 4.0 but I still got errors !

IIRC, the earliest compatible version of Acrobat is 4.0.5, but I'd really
recommend that you try a newer version.

Quote:>If I look at ps, ex. with ghostview, it's corrupted. Sometimes I have
> only particulars of one image. I tryed to produce a "eps" and, it seems
> ok, the only one inconvenient it's that I have 1 file for every page ...

Very strange! What is the target printer that you use to create the
PostScript?

Regards,

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

PM, PDF and Windows 2000

Post by Stefano Malavas » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 03:56:37

Quote:>>If I look at ps, ex. with ghostview, it's corrupted. Sometimes I have
>> only particulars of one image. I tryed to produce a "eps" and, it seems
>> ok, the only one inconvenient it's that I have 1 file for every page ...

>Very strange! What is the target printer that you use to create the
>PostScript?

The generic postscript that cames from adobe PS driver.

       Stefano Malavasi

Note:           Remove _REMOVE_ string to reply

PM, PDF and Windows 2000

Post by Neil Goul » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:34:47

Hi,

> >>If I look at ps, ex. with ghostview, it's corrupted. Sometimes I have
> >> only particulars of one image. I tryed to produce a "eps" and, it seems
> >> ok, the only one inconvenient it's that I have 1 file for every page

> >Very strange! What is the target printer that you use to create the
> >PostScript?

> The generic postscript that cames from adobe PS driver.

That is odd. If you are using Acrobat 4.0.5 or newer, you should be OK.
Other things to check:

* Large contiguous spaces available for the PostScript file, temp files and
swap files.

* Problem document elements, such as images.

* A large number of fonts open and in use in the document.

The last two can be determined by printing a various number of pages until
the error shows up. If you have the full version of Acrobat, then you could
"stitch" the document together from your single pages or small groups of
pages.

Hope this is of some help...

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

PM, PDF and Windows 2000

Post by Stefano Malavas » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:36:45

Quote:>The last two can be determined by printing a various number of pages until
>the error shows up. If you have the full version of Acrobat, then you could
>"stitch" the document together from your single pages or small groups of
>pages.

Well I have the acrobat writer with distiller etc. I don't know if
it's the "full" version. How can I merge the eps in one ?

PM, PDF and Windows 2000

Post by Neil Goul » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:59:21

Hi,

> >The last two can be determined by printing a various number of pages
until
> >the error shows up. If you have the full version of Acrobat, then you
could
> >"stitch" the document together from your single pages or small groups of
> >pages.

> Well I have the acrobat writer with distiller etc. I don't know if
> it's the "full" version. How can I merge the eps in one ?

Adobe has made it confusing for Acrobat users to know just what they have...
;-}

In the days of version 4.x, the "full version" of Acrobat is comprised of 3
applications; Distiller, Reader, and Acrobat. Acrobat can be used to compile
multiple PDF files into a single document, edit material to some extent,
extract images, etc. It also includes PDF Writer, but that is to be avoided
whenever possible.

Currently, the "full version" has two levels; Standard and Professional.
Since version 5, Adobe has also reduced the internal applications to only
Distiller and Acrobat, where Acrobat serves as both reader and editor. More
information on Adobe's web site.

Back to your initial problem... you didn't use PDF Writer by any chance?
That doesn't work very well with PM (some will argue that it doesn't work
very well at all... but I'd just say that it is a special-use driver).

Regards,

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

PM, PDF and Windows 2000

Post by Stefano Malavas » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 03:46:04

Quote:>Back to your initial problem... you didn't use PDF Writer by any chance?
>That doesn't work very well with PM (some will argue that it doesn't work
>very well at all... but I'd just say that it is a special-use driver).

No I read the was suggestes to create first the ps and then distill
it. I don't understand why it works "eps" and not "ps" ...

       Stefano Malavasi

Note:           Remove _REMOVE_ string to reply

PM, PDF and Windows 2000

Post by Robert Wa » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:14:13

It seems to me, from what you've posted, that you are first writing
postscript to file, and then trying to distill the eps or ps file.
That may be the problem. I use acrobat in PM 7 all the time, and just
create document with a postscript printer specified, then when it is
finsihed go to "print" and change specified device to acrobat
distiller. Works fine for me, and they arte BIG pdf files too. last
one was over 300 pages.

(robt)