How to draw lines around text?

Post by Mike Hartma » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I often need to draw boxes around lines of text.  I
have to do this many times on one page, so the distance from the text
to the line has to look the same each time.  Right now I just copy one
box from the clipboard over the line of text, line up the top and left
side with guides, then stretch the right side.

Aside from being extremely tedious, it's difficult to make the right
side of each box be the same distance from the text as the left side.
Can anyone give me an idea of how to do this easier?  Or maybe give me
an idea for a script?

TIA
-Mike Hartmann

Post by Michael M. Roc » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I often need to draw boxes around lines of text.  I
> have to do this many times on one page, so the distance from the text
> to the line has to look the same each time.  Right now I just copy one
> box from the clipboard over the line of text, line up the top and left
> side with guides, then stretch the right side.

> Aside from being extremely tedious, it's difficult to make the right
> side of each box be the same distance from the text as the left side.
> Can anyone give me an idea of how to do this easier?  Or maybe give me
> an idea for a script?

> TIA
> -Mike Hartmann

If the paragraph needs to flow with the rest of the text, you can add
"rules" above and blow the text via the "paragraph" settings when defining
your paragraph styles.

If it's a "stand alone" item, make the parapgraph it's own text block by
cutting and pasting it outside of the rest of your text and then
repositioning it where you want it on the page. Once you've done that,
choose :Keyline" from the Plug-ins menu and specify how far the "box"
should be from the edges of the text block itself.

Experiment and enjoy!
--

NU Information Technology
Marketing Communications

How to draw lines around text?

Post by Pete Masterso » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

<snip>

> Aside from being extremely tedious, it's difficult to make the right
> side of each box be the same distance from the text as the left side.
> Can anyone give me an idea of how to do this easier?  Or maybe give me
> an idea for a script?

> TIA
> -Mike Hartmann

Try experimenting with the "rules" feature. Have PM automatically
draw a rule above and a rule below. Then all you need to do is
manually draw in the end pieces. Or perhaps someone can come up
with a script for this.

Pete Masterson

Post by Lanny Chambe » Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > Aside from being extremely tedious, it's difficult to make the right
> > side of each box be the same distance from the text as the left side.
> > Can anyone give me an idea of how to do this easier?  Or maybe give me
> > an idea for a script?

> Try experimenting with the "rules" feature. Have PM automatically
> draw a rule above and a rule below. Then all you need to do is
> manually draw in the end pieces. Or perhaps someone can come up
> with a script for this.

We're all assuming that Mike wants solid boxes behind his type. Rules are
indeed the cleanest way, especially if he creates a paragraph style to do
it automatically. If a fixed-width box is needed, the spacing is easily
solved by centering the text, and specifying that the rule extend to the
margins, +/- the desired amount; otherwise, insert em spaces before and
after the text to extend the rule.

If Mike really wants a keyline instead of a filled box, the earlier
suggestion about the Keyline addition should work well.

I hate to admit it, but this is one area where Quark has been clearly ahead
of PM for years. Perhaps PM 6.5 will catch up, by providing the option of
text boxes with vertical centering of the type within.

Visit the Hummingbird Page: <http://www.derived.com/~lanny/hummers>

1. NEED HELP WITH AUTOMATING BOX DRAWING AROUND TEXT

Hi, I had posted an article a few days ago on automating box drawing
around text in a 150 pages document.  The answers I got were not
particularly helpful which could be partly due a lack of information in
my part.
THe problem is as follows, I am editing a 150 pages document in which
there are Different titles that need to be boxed and shaded.  These
titles share the same font and style attributes.  My goal is to be able
to go through the file, and automate the drawing of Box and the shading
of the text without having to go through it and do it manually for each
of the 100 titles.(Last time we did it , it took us two days).
THis must be possible.
I am running PM 5.0 for windows.
Thank you in advance.

MoussA.

Moussa Abdoul Ba***************************************************************

WWW:  http://bigdog.engr.arizona.edu/~mba**********************************...

2. GIS - Geographic Info. Systems

3. NEED HELP AUTOMATING BOX DRAWING AROUND TEXT

4. gfourier plug-in??

5. Are there any Text drawing functions that can identify and draw URL Highlighted Text

6. Setting up VC++ .Net with DX

7. Need simple 2D bit mapped text and line drawing package

8. Help with MotionStar

9. Corel Draw 6, horizontal lines in text

10. Counting lines in a text drawn of a TCanvas descendant

11. SnappyLine -- Draw Lines with Text Label at Any Angle

12. Drawing contour lines and rotating Text

13. How to create grid lines to line up text