Opening PageMaker 6.5 PC files in PageMaker 6.5 on a Mac

Opening PageMaker 6.5 PC files in PageMaker 6.5 on a Mac

Post by Xstof » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi all

An urgent question:

I have a bunch of PageMaker publications created in PageMaker 6.5 PC
version. All the graphics in the publications are in CGM format, and
they are all embedded in the publications (I have no external files).

I _need_ to open the files in PageMaker 6.5 for Macintosh. Now, when I
attempt doing that, everything works OK exept that the Mac can't
convert the CGM graphics stored in the publication - I receive
conversion error, and when the publication finally opens, there are
grey boxes in stead of the graphics.

I called Adobe Technical Support, but they simply don't know (can you
believe it?).

Can anyone here help?
Is there a way of transforming the PM 6.5 PC publications to the Mac
platform without losing the embedded CGM graphics?
Note that losing the links does not worry me because all the graphics
are embedded anyway. Also note that I don't worry about the fonts -
the entire publication is done in Times.

Could "downgrading" the publication to version 6 or 5, and _then_
opening them in PageMaker 6.5 on Mac help?

line.

Kind regards
Krzysztof

Post by SnospamSjay chevak » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all

> An urgent question:

> I have a bunch of PageMaker publications created in PageMaker 6.5 PC
> version. All the graphics in the publications are in CGM format, and
> they are all embedded in the publications (I have no external files).

> I _need_ to open the files in PageMaker 6.5 for Macintosh. Now, when I
> attempt doing that, everything works OK exept that the Mac can't
> convert the CGM graphics stored in the publication - I receive
> conversion error, and when the publication finally opens, there are
> grey boxes in stead of the graphics.

> I called Adobe Technical Support, but they simply don't know (can you
> believe it?).

> Can anyone here help?

The best thing to do would be to get the origional cgm graphics saved as
eps files and relink them to the pagemaker file. some last ditch effort
that some times works (have done this on the pc, but not the mac) is to
select the greybox and hit file export graphic, and save as tiff,. this
tends to get screen resolution graphics. you may try print to eps, and or
distilling to pdf and see what that gets you. It maybe that you can print
the file fine, but the cgm won't display on the mac. Also make sure that
your graphics resolution in preferences is not set to gray out.

> Is there a way of transforming the PM 6.5 PC publications to the Mac
> platform without losing the embedded CGM graphics?
> Note that losing the links does not worry me because all the graphics
> are embedded anyway. Also note that I don't worry about the fonts -
> the entire publication is done in Times.

> Could "downgrading" the publication to version 6 or 5, and _then_
> opening them in PageMaker 6.5 on Mac help?

> line.

> Kind regards
> Krzysztof

1. Pagemaker 6.5 crashed on my Mac...Can't open file

Greetings,
Have a friend (No internet access, Rural town), that was
developing a catalog (32 pages, lots of graphics) on her
Macintosh using Pagemaker 6.5.  Pagemaker crashed.
Now, when she tries to open the document, the progress
bar reaches 100% (when loading) and then it hangs.  Of
course, no backup of the file exists.  Any ideas, or is
she just screwed ?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Darryl.

email address is anti-spammed.  It is dlhoar at ruraltel dot net.  Just
remove the nospam from my address.

2. Help for my paper

3. Pagemaker 6.5 and Pagemaker 6.5 Plus

4. Viewing frustum

5. Can Pagemaker 6.5 read files in Pagemaker 4?

6. Adobe Table 3.0 disappointment

7. View PageMaker 6.5 files without PageMaker?

8. importing pagemaker 5.0J file in pagemaker 6.5

9. FA: PageMaker 6.5 training CD Mac/PC

10. Publication MAC Xpress --> Windows PC PageMaker 6.5

11. Mac ver 4.2 to PC ver 6.5 Pagemaker conversion

12. problems opening Pagemaker 6.5 file Windows 98