Urgently Need Help w/ Setting Up Publication in PM 6.5

Urgently Need Help w/ Setting Up Publication in PM 6.5

Post by Gail Mille » Wed, 06 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Kind Folk...

I am in desperate need of your help. I'm doing a 70+ page, 8.5x11
publication that will include, on each page, 1 b&w photo, two text blocks,
and a graphic block (this latter a pedigree in horizontal graph format
imported from Power Point).

I was most disappointed that the MS Pub to PM 6.5 converter did not work.
Apparently it's because I did last year's booklet  in MSPub 2000; the
converter did handle a simple, one-page file I had done in MSPub98.

Anyway, I believe I can edit all of my MSPub pages in MS Word (I may have to
do them one at a time rather than as a block).

Q #1: If I am successful in that, can I then import the Word document (s)
into PM 6.5? And if I do that, would I be smarter to import it all  in what
we used to call "galley format" -- e.g., in one long column that could then
be chopped up into separate pages (Is there anybody here old enough to
remember when you got typeset copy back in galleys? If so, you may recognize
my dilemma here.)

Q #2: Is there an easier way? I tried to export my MS Pub documents into
.pdf format (Print to PDF option in my Printers List in MS Pub) but I could
not open them in the Adobe Distiller (so I guess It distills other things to
PDF and not vice versa).

I just read where PDF is the native format for Adobe Illustrator 9.0.
Perhaps I could open my pages in Illustrator and edit them, but how would I
then get them into PM?

Q #3: When I edit the PowerPoint graphic in MSPub, It takes me back into
Powerpoint for any corrections I need to make. Will PM be able to do that?

Q #4: I need to have a watermark on each page -- that consists of a logo
that covers the bottom half of the page. I'm thinking I can probably do this
with layers. Am I right? And if so, where do I go to learn more about layers
in PM?

Q #5: I would like to put a small piece of art and the name of the
publication on the outside edge of each page -- the art at the top the text
at the bottom. I'm quite certain this is not a challenge for PM -- but it is
a challenge for me. I admit I haven't examined the templates thoroughly to
see if there's a newsletter or something that might have these components.

...As you can see, I'm quite a dummy when it comes to PM. I've had PM going
all the way back to 4.0 -- but have never bitten the bullet to learn how to
use it, especially when MSPub came along that would suffice for most of my
projects. Now I'm in a pickle. Any suggestions (short of a crash course at
the local community college) would be most welcome!!

Thanks in advance and good wishes...
Gail Miller

Urgently Need Help w/ Setting Up Publication in PM 6.5

Post by J. Costell » Wed, 06 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Either decide to stay with Publisher or beware that you will run into some
trouble converting your files to PageMaker. As for the PDF conversion from
Publisher... I've never tried it. I know that it works fairly well from
PageMaker... but I would not use the pdf file creation function that comes
packed with PageMaker to make files that will run out on film for offset
printing. Instead we rely on using PostScript files -- this is an option you
might want to consider (does Publisher do that?).

Concerning your galleys question... no, don't do that. Instead set up a PM
template with the columns the width you want them and then place the Word
document (without illustrations) in a PM document created when opening the
template (not in the template file itself). If you have autoflow turned on
all the text will flow correctly through your pages. But then again, it
sounds like your document does not have contain full pages of text and that
the text does not stream from one page to another, so this is probably not a
feature you'll need. In which case, you can place the file, let it autoflow,
and then cut and paste the info onto the appropriate pages.

Second, know that Powerpoint is not the best application to make
illustrations that will appear in PM. As you've noted Illustrator would be
the way to go. And you would create EPS files. There are ways to get a
PowerPoint file into Illustrator, but believe me that if you have more than
one or two of them, then editing them is going to be a real pain (and take A
LOT of time).

Concerning layers... Yes, you can place a "fake watermark" (meaning a
lightly tinted graphic) on the PM page and then slap text and other graphics
on top. Layers would be useful for this purpose, as would the use of master
pages, but not necessary. To find out more about PM Layers, simple, read the
manual.

Regarding Q5 -- two words... "master pages"

Want to learn more about PageMaker? Avoid the Community College and instead
read the manual and go to the bookstore. There are tutorial books out there
that guide you through small projects so you can get your feet wet.

--
J. Costello

Quote:> Kind Folk...

> [...]

text
> at the bottom. I'm quite certain this is not a challenge for PM -- but it
is
> a challenge for me. I admit I haven't examined the templates thoroughly to
> see if there's a newsletter or something that might have these components.

> ...As you can see, I'm quite a dummy when it comes to PM. I've had PM
going
> all the way back to 4.0 -- but have never bitten the bullet to learn how
> use it, especially when MSPub came along that would suffice for most of my
> projects. Now I'm in a pickle. Any suggestions (short of a crash course at
> the local community college) would be most welcome!!

> Thanks in advance and good wishes...
> Gail Miller

Urgently Need Help w/ Setting Up Publication in PM 6.5

Post by Gail Mille » Wed, 06 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Thank you SOO much for your speedy response.

In fact, I *was* hoping to use the PDF conversion from PM for the offset
printer. Glad you advised against it before I got too deeply embroiled in
it.

Publisher *does* do a PostScript file through its "commercial printing
tools" facility. I'm going to findout from my printer what PostScript
printer he uses...that would be my next step, right?

Another option, I suppose, might be to send my PostScript files to Kinko's,
print them here and send the pages camera-ready to the printer. That seems a
bit safer to me since I'm in VA and the printer is in CA, but perhaps it
defeats the purpose. What do you think?

I sure do appreciate your good advice I am stumped about PowerPoint, tho. I
need to create a graph that looks similar to an organizational flow chart
(except this is a 3-generation pedigree). Any suggestions for what to use
instead of PP?

Meanwhile I'm reading the manual...

Again...Thanks!!!!
Gail

Urgently Need Help w/ Setting Up Publication in PM 6.5

Post by SR » Wed, 06 Dec 2000 04:00:00

For the powerpoint version, you can save as (or export, not sure which) the
slide as a jpg. Open in Photoshop or another photo editing progam and
convert to a tif. The tif is easily PLACED into PM, but not text editable.

Quote:>Thank you SOO much for your speedy response.

Post by Jane Krate Dud » Wed, 06 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> Thank you SOO much for your speedy response.

> In fact, I *was* hoping to use the PDF conversion from PM for the offset
> printer. Glad you advised against it before I got too deeply embroiled in
> it.

Well, many commercial printers and service bureaus are happy to use PDFs. You
just have to make sure you distill the right kind of PDF. Using the [Print]
settings in the Distiller dialog should get you what you want. PostScript 3 was
designed for a PDF workflow and it has taken a while, but many, many printers
can now take high-res PDFs and RIP away. It's best to check with the printer how
they want the page set up, how fonts should be embedded, how graphics should or
shouldn't be trapped, how bleeds are handled, and other "little" details, before
you do convert.

Good luck!
Jane

Urgently Need Help w/ Setting Up Publication in PM 6.5

Post by J. Costell » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Replies in line below

--
J. Costello

Quote:> In fact, I *was* hoping to use the PDF conversion from PM for the offset
> printer. Glad you advised against it before I got too deeply embroiled in
> it.

The only reason I advised against it is because of the illustrations. PM's
incorporated PDF function must be set up just right for the resolution and
output halftone screen and trapping can be an issue. Your printer might be
able to send you correct guidelines for what you are planning to submit.
(Though I would not, personally, send a PM created PDF to a printer for the
kind of work we do which includes many technical medical illustrations,
including x-rays that get printed as 150 line halftones. I've had printers
take my PostScript files and create PDF files out of them. I warned them
never to do it again because they changed, perhaps inadvertently, the
halftone screen. I have one publisher who is pushing me for a 100% PDF
workflow. Since the PostScript files I send him are flawless, I see no
immediate reason to change. The printer says the PDFs would rip faster. I
asked if that meant I'd get a cheaper price. He said, No. I said that I'll
stick with PS files for a while longer then.)

Quote:> Publisher *does* do a PostScript file through its "commercial printing
> tools" facility. I'm going to findout from my printer what PostScript
> printer he uses...that would be my next step, right?

Yes, in order to correctly send a PostScript file you do need to install the
output devices print driver on your computer and the correct PPD file in
PageMaker (not sure what you do about the PPD if you are using Publisher).
Set that print driver to "print to file" rather to an lpt port and then when
you use it to "print" the file, what you get instead is a PS file on your
hard drive that you can then send to the printer (because the "print" button
in the dialog box changes to a "save" button). Note that there are a lot of
tricky little dialog boxes to consider in the PostScript print driver dialog
tab sections. AND note that the some of the selections on the tab that sets
the PostScript file type (PS or SEP) will change IF you enter some of the
other tabs and then go back to that tab! This can be frustrating, so just
beware that once you sent options like the PostScript or "for prepress"
options and all the specifics about how to download graphics, don't go back
to that tab before making the PS file (and if you do, be prepared to reset
some of the options). Therefore your best bet is to set up a printer profile
with all the correct settings.

Quote:> Another option, I suppose, might be to send my PostScript files to
Kinko's,
> print them here and send the pages camera-ready to the printer. That seems
> bit safer to me since I'm in VA and the printer is in CA, but perhaps it
> defeats the purpose. What do you think?

If your file includes photos I would not submit camera ready copy.

Quote:> I sure do appreciate your good advice I am stumped about PowerPoint, tho.
> need to create a graph that looks similar to an organizational flow chart
> (except this is a 3-generation pedigree). Any suggestions for what to use
> instead of PP?

If all you are doing is setting up a lineage chart, you could (and I have)
set one up in PM just by typing in the info into separate text blocks,
arranging them on the page, then use the ruler guides to align them and draw
boxes around the text and draw lines connecting the boxes (zoom in close to
get all the lines precision aligned and connected). If you have to do a lot
of these and if they all use the same number of boxes, you could set up a
master page with the boxes and lines and then use it to type in the new info
as needed.

Best of luck to you.

1. Help needed converting PM 6.5 libary to PM 7

I have a spanking new copy of PM 7, but need access to a library saved in PM
6.5.

According to Adobe, I need to transfer the library's content into a PM 6.5
document and then open it in 7. Which I can't do, of course.

If I sent someone the library file, could someone help me out?

Many thanks

Tom
(tommyimac(at)aol.com

2. UMAX 600S

3. Problem Importing MAC PM 6.5 Publication

4. question

5. PM 6.5: Import of Word for Windows tables into PM 6.5

6. bincancel:25 large binaries:AR565:@@NCM

7. PM 6.5 and HP1000 ...need help!

8. Setting print quality, PM 6.5, Mac, Stylewriter 2500?

9. Open PM 6.5 docs in PM 6.01?

10. converting from win pm 3.1 to mac pm 6.5

11. PM 3.02/Mac to PM 6.5/PC

12. PM 6.0/6.5 Template Needed