Can't open Pagemaker file

Post by Alle » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:42:31

We've been working on a catalog in Pagemaker 6.5. The file size
240meg.
We made some additions (like pictures and text). The next day, we
couldn't open the file in Pagemaker 6.5.

When trying to open the file, Pagemaker spools through, like it's
checking the fonts, it opens a white window as if it's opening the
file, then Pagemaker closes itself. It gives the following error:
"PM65.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will
need to restart the program."

Has anyone experienced this?

We've tried opening the file from multiple computers and from
Pagemaker V7.0 with no success.

Thanks for any help.

-Allen

Can't open Pagemaker file

Post by Dick Marguli » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:47:17

Allen,

You have made an expensive mistake and are about to learn an expensive
lesson.

1. Your file is probably unrecoverable. What you can try before giving
up altogether is to defrag your hard disk so you have a large quantity
of CONTIGUOUS free space. I'd recommend at least a gigabyte clear. This
may require that you partition a disk and place the file into an
otherwise empty partition. Also, use File > Open from within PageMaker
rather than trying to open the file by double-clicking in Windows Explorer.

2. NEVER EMBED IMAGES. At 240 MB it seems likely to me that you have
embedded images rather than links. I will acknowledge that you may just
have an enormous number of previews, given that it is a catalog project;
but even if that is the case, you should be using only low-res previews.

3. Never paste images in; always use File > Place (You can cut, copy,
and paste within PageMaker; I just mean don't copy from another
application and then paste into PageMaker.)

4. Break up large documents into multiple PageMaker publications. There
is no reason to keep everything in one file. You can use the Book
function to assemble publications for printing.

5. Always keep a backup. It is a good idea to keep two current copies of
any large publication--filename1 and filname2--and use Save As
frequently to keep them both current. I hope you do have a backup, even
if it is an older version and there is a lot of new material you have to
reenter.

6. Set your preferences for Save Small, rather than Save Fast. This
applies to automatic mini-saves as well as File > Save.

In summary, good luck and DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!

Dick

> We've been working on a catalog in Pagemaker 6.5. The file size
> 240meg.
> We made some additions (like pictures and text). The next day, we
> couldn't open the file in Pagemaker 6.5.

> When trying to open the file, Pagemaker spools through, like it's
> checking the fonts, it opens a white window as if it's opening the
> file, then Pagemaker closes itself. It gives the following error:
> "PM65.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will
> need to restart the program."

> Has anyone experienced this?

> We've tried opening the file from multiple computers and from
> Pagemaker V7.0 with no success.

> Thanks for any help.

> -Allen

1. Pagemaker 6.5 crashed on my Mac...Can't open file

Greetings,
Have a friend (No internet access, Rural town), that was
developing a catalog (32 pages, lots of graphics) on her
Macintosh using Pagemaker 6.5.  Pagemaker crashed.
Now, when she tries to open the document, the progress
bar reaches 100% (when loading) and then it hangs.  Of
course, no backup of the file exists.  Any ideas, or is
she just screwed ?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Darryl.

email address is anti-spammed.  It is dlhoar at ruraltel dot net.  Just
remove the nospam from my address.

2. Cinebench 2000

3. Opening PageMaker 6.5 PC files in PageMaker 6.5 on a Mac

4. BSP and scene graph ?

5. Can't Open PageMaker

6. help with c programming

7. Help! PageMaker 6.5 won't open