Print to File as workaround?

Post by Pat Kig » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm working on a poster (in PM5, on a PC), and have run up against the
cross-platform, cross-release dilemma with my printshop-of-choice
(they're using PM6 on a Mac; apparently they didn't keep the older
version installed).

I've been told that I may be able to sidestep this problem (plus the
question of whether they have the same fonts I do) by using the
print-to-postscript-file option. As it's been explained to me, the
printshop could then simply send my file through their image setter and
print it.

Is this the case? And if so, will it work for a two-color job, or will I
need to print separations in two separate files? Drawbacks and pitfalls
(other than the fact that the printshop won't be able to "tweak" my
file)? Any insight on how this works would be appreciated.

Pat Kight

Print to File as workaround?

Post by Jim Dornb » Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I've been told that I may be able to sidestep this problem (plus the
>question of whether they have the same fonts I do) by using the
>print-to-postscript-file option. As it's been explained to me, the
>printshop could then simply send my file through their image setter and
>print it.
>Is this the case? And if so, will it work for a two-color job, or will I
>need to print separations in two separate files? Drawbacks and pitfalls
>(other than the fact that the printshop won't be able to "tweak" my
>file)? Any insight on how this works would be appreciated.

Pat...

It'll work just fine. Essentially, you pretend you have their
imagesetter* off the back of your PC. Install the correct PPD
for PageMaker to use, make settings as appropriate, then under PM's
Print:Options, tell PM to write the file to disk <use the "normal"
setting - not EPS or "for seps">.

You'll need to pick the right page size to fit your job and crops.
You'll also need to take care of any trapping that your file needs, as
well as pick the right line screen, resolution and which inks to image
for seps. But they should be able to help you with those settings.

Jim
*This is called "Spam of the day". Hitting "reply by email"
*will direct your message to the most recent junkmailer to
*invade my mailbox. If you'd like to reach me by email,
*combine the username dornbos with my ISP cris.com.

1. workaround sought for Kodak copy print station???

I'd like to write files to CD ROM and print them using Kodak's dye sub
copy station.   Kodak claims you can only use a Kodak photo cd.  Has
anyone found a way around this?  I don't have time to monitor this group
so please email me at the address below.
--
             Phil Morse
             Wilmot, NH

http://www.metro2000.net/~viewpoint

2. SIGGRAPH calendar complaint

3. workaround for TIFF file limit size ?

4. 5.0B to 5.0C upgrade crashes...

5. Workaround Can't Load 3ds,dxf.obj file types (MAC)

6. QUESTION; transforms

7. Printing "Print to File"

8. Match Points with other Polygon\Points?

9. Could not print...because of an error writing the print file

10. print shop file (file.psp)

11. DOS command line program to print Tiff group 4 file or convert to .pcx file