Import/Export files between Mac/PC Pagemaker ???

Import/Export files between Mac/PC Pagemaker ???

Post by Jimmy Ch » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

   Is it possible to import Mac Pagemaker files into PC version of Pagemaker
for editing ?  What about the other way?  My kid's school uses Mac Pagemake
in yearbook design, she likes to be able to do some editing at home using pc?
   any hope???

   TIA .....
                              jimmy

Post by Guy Bann » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>    Is it possible to import Mac Pagemaker files into PC version of Pagemaker
> for editing ?  What about the other way?  My kid's school uses Mac Pagemake
> in yearbook design, she likes to be able to do some editing at home using pc?
>    any hope???

Yes, yes, and yes. Provided the version numbers of the apps match, or you
save a file in a version that matches the app, the files are
interchangeable.

Make sure your kid saves the file on a DOS-formatted disk in the Mac if
diskette is the mode of transport.

Post by Helpful Harr » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> >    Is it possible to import Mac Pagemaker files into PC version of
> >    Pagemaker
> > for editing ?  What about the other way?  My kid's school uses Mac Pagemake
> > in yearbook design, she likes to be able to do some editing at home using
> > pc?
> >    any hope???

> Yes, yes, and yes. Provided the version numbers of the apps match, or you
> save a file in a version that matches the app, the files are
> interchangeable.

> Make sure your kid saves the file on a DOS-formatted disk in the Mac if
> diskette is the mode of transport.

The absence/differences of some fonts may cause you a few layout
problems though.

Helpful Harry
"Just trying to help whenever I can."

Import/Export files between Mac/PC Pagemaker ???

Post by Lind » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

If the school is using PowerMacs with the same version of PageMaker, she can
just open them right up on the Mac. (She should be using a common font, as
fonts won't make the transition, and letterspace may not be the same) When
working on Macs, name the file with an extension (.pm6 .p65 etc etc -)
again, it must be the same version of PageMaker. I haven't tried just
opening a PM file on my PC, but am told it can be done. I have MacOpen which
makes everything seamless. You might want to consider it, it's reasonably
priced. www.dataviz.com

Linda

Quote:

>    Is it possible to import Mac Pagemaker files into PC version of
Pagemaker
> for editing ?  What about the other way?  My kid's school uses Mac
Pagemake
> in yearbook design, she likes to be able to do some editing at home using
pc?
>    any hope???

>    TIA .....
>                               jimmy

Import/Export files between Mac/PC Pagemaker ???

Post by John Jord » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>If the school is using PowerMacs with the same version of PageMaker, she can
>just open them right up on the Mac. (She should be using a common font, as
>fonts won't make the transition, and letterspace may not be the same) When
>working on Macs, name the file with an extension (.pm6 .p65 etc etc -)
>again, it must be the same version of PageMaker. I haven't tried just
>opening a PM file on my PC, but am told it can be done. I have MacOpen which
>makes everything seamless. You might want to consider it, it's reasonably
>priced. www.dataviz.com

DataViz has just come out with MacOpener 2000 and Conversions Plus!
2000. Both are guaranteed to work on all versions of Windows,
including Windows 2000 Professional and Server.

The previous version (5.0) is also available for puchase and download
from their website.

NOTICE: The e-mail address is deliberately incorrect.
Delete "xnospam" from the username.

Post by LT » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>    Is it possible to import Mac Pagemaker files into PC version of Pagemaker
> for editing ?  What about the other way?  My kid's school uses Mac Pagemake
> in yearbook design, she likes to be able to do some editing at home using pc?
>    any hope???

>    TIA .....
>                               jimmy

Pagemaker is considered a "Cross Platform" application. That
is; a publication created on one platform, can be opened on
the other. Sounds easy, but here's the rub....  first you
have to be working with the same version of Pagemaker. No
cross platform and version conversion in one operation.
Second, because pc and mac fonts are different, you
virtually always have font issues to deal with, and third,
you have to have medium that both platforms can read. The
mac can read and write to pc disks, but without additional
software, the pc will only recognize pc format disks. (use
PC disks on the mac and this will not be a problem)

LT

Import/Export files between Mac/PC Pagemaker ???

Post by sasa » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

and check out the fonts( you must have same fonts on PC and MAC)

> >    Is it possible to import Mac Pagemaker files into PC version of Pagemaker
> > for editing ?  What about the other way?  My kid's school uses Mac Pagemake
> > in yearbook design, she likes to be able to do some editing at home using pc?
> >    any hope???

> Yes, yes, and yes. Provided the version numbers of the apps match, or you
> save a file in a version that matches the app, the files are
> interchangeable.

> Make sure your kid saves the file on a DOS-formatted disk in the Mac if
> diskette is the mode of transport.

1. Opening PageMaker 6.5 PC files in PageMaker 6.5 on a Mac

Hi all

An urgent question:

I have a bunch of PageMaker publications created in PageMaker 6.5 PC
version. All the graphics in the publications are in CGM format, and
they are all embedded in the publications (I have no external files).

I _need_ to open the files in PageMaker 6.5 for Macintosh. Now, when I
attempt doing that, everything works OK exept that the Mac can't
convert the CGM graphics stored in the publication - I receive
conversion error, and when the publication finally opens, there are
grey boxes in stead of the graphics.

I called Adobe Technical Support, but they simply don't know (can you
believe it?).

Can anyone here help?
Is there a way of transforming the PM 6.5 PC publications to the Mac
platform without losing the embedded CGM graphics?
Note that losing the links does not worry me because all the graphics
are embedded anyway. Also note that I don't worry about the fonts -
the entire publication is done in Times.

Could "downgrading" the publication to version 6 or 5, and _then_
opening them in PageMaker 6.5 on Mac help?

line.

Kind regards
Krzysztof

2. need Leveller

3. sending MAC Pagemaker files via email to PC Pagemaker

4. glList

5. Exporting files from Pagemake(PC) an Import this in a Print-Shop with Macintosh

6. Skintone.

7. How to open a PC PageMaker file on a Mac

8. Help! Import PC graphics file into Mac

9. EPS files from PC Pagemaker 6.52 to Mac Quark 3.32

10. 1995 Mac PageMaker file --> PC PageMaker6.5

11. Can MACs read PC Pagemaker files?