New issue of FORMAT newsletter

Post by Pegg » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:06:15

Greetings --

<snipped>

Quote:

> Spam -- and some misguided attempts to stop it -- are killing a
> substantial part of the internet, and I fear free email newsletters
> will be among those about to disappear.

> Incidentally, for the information of others who may have read this
> far, our Format newsletter gives a summary of what's new  in DTP  plus
> hints and tips -- it contains no advertising apart from an occasional
> mention of our books, in among favourable mentions of books by others,
> even books which might be seen as competing with ours.

I'm going to seize the opportunity to say that I've garnered many, many
useful pieces of information from the Format newsletter, and it is much
better than Gordon modestly describes it.

Several other newsletters I receive have also mentioned the problems with
challenge/response systems. Does keeping an "unscreened" email account for
subscriptions help? Ideas, anyone?

Peggy

New issue of FORMAT newsletter

Post by Marek William » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:24:44

Quote:>Several other newsletters I receive have also mentioned the problems with
>challenge/response systems. Does keeping an "unscreened" email account for
>subscriptions help? Ideas, anyone?

I receive it at my myrealbox.com address. So far no problems.
Myrealbox.com is free and has awesome spam filters. The only caution I
should mention is that it is a beta program provided by Novell. As
such it sometimes goes down for several hours while they fiddle with
it. Never lost an e-mail, though. And you can access it with pop3, so
I can use Pegasus. Plus, it's not Microsoft or AOL.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Post by Dick Marguli » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:11:02

>>So I now delete upwards of 300 spam messages a day, manually.

> http://www.mailwasher.net/

Thanks for the pointer. I just read the FAQ. How is this an improvement?
Now all I do is select and delete messages in my mail client (any of
three clients, depending on where I am and what account I'm accessing).
With Mailwasher, I have to first open a separate program and then make a
more complicated decision about each message, then open my mail client
and download all the same headers again. Seems like more software
running, more steps for me, more bandwidth. For what? So I can make a
permanent list of senders who will never use the same return address
twice? Nah. Not worth the trouble.

Post by L.Range » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 12:49:51

> Thanks for the pointer. I just read the FAQ. How is this an improvement?
> Now all I do is select and delete messages in my mail client (any of
> three clients, depending on where I am and what account I'm accessing).
> With Mailwasher, I have to first open a separate program and then make a
> more complicated decision about each message, then open my mail client
> and download all the same headers again. Seems like more software
> running, more steps for me, more bandwidth. For what? So I can make a
> permanent list of senders who will never use the same return address
> twice? Nah. Not worth the trouble.

Mailwasher views the emails on your ISP's mailserver - it doesn't
download them.

With the use of filters you can have a lot of the spam automatically
blacklisted. The rest you either add to a Friends list (for subsequent
emails) or the Blacklist.

You then tell MW to process the list. Friends emails get downloaded to
your computer and your mail program automatically gets started.
Blacklisted mail gets a bounce message that your email address doesn't
exist.

Post by Dick Marguli » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:11:29

>>Thanks for the pointer. I just read the FAQ. How is this an improvement?
>>Now all I do is select and delete messages in my mail client (any of
>>three clients, depending on where I am and what account I'm accessing).
>>With Mailwasher, I have to first open a separate program and then make a
>>more complicated decision about each message, then open my mail client
>>and download all the same headers again. Seems like more software
>>running, more steps for me, more bandwidth. For what? So I can make a
>>permanent list of senders who will never use the same return address
>>twice? Nah. Not worth the trouble.

> Mailwasher views the emails on your ISP's mailserver - it doesn't
> download them.

> With the use of filters you can have a lot of the spam automatically
> blacklisted. The rest you either add to a Friends list (for subsequent
> emails) or the Blacklist.

> You then tell MW to process the list. Friends emails get downloaded to
> your computer and your mail program automatically gets started.
> Blacklisted mail gets a bounce message that your email address doesn't
> exist.

Yes, I read all that. I just interpret the information differently. I
tend to have two email clients open continuously and I catch and react
to new messages as they arrive. Mailwasher might be useful if I were
instead in the habit of opening an email client just prior to a batch
session of reading and responding to email, then closing it for a
period, then opening it again some hours or a day later. However, the
workflow in my office is such that if I behaved that way I would be less
effective in my job. So, while Mailwasher may be a wonderful program
that meets _your_ needs, it would be an encumbrance to me. My ideal
solution would be to turn on my ISP's mail filter (operates on their
server with no intervention by me) but tune it so it lets my listserv
mail through. Unfortunately that's not possible, so I'll keep deleting
manually.