Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Charles Gr » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:05:39

My indesign 2.0 keeps opening from "My documents".  How to I set the
preference to open from another directory?  See, I told you it was a
dumb question...

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Pegg » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:08:03

Greetings --

Quote:> My indesign 2.0 keeps opening from "My documents".  How to I set the
> preference to open from another directory?  See, I told you it was a
> dumb question...

Well, if you find out, please post it here. I'm using WinXP, and I can't do
ANYthing to change it!

Peggy

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Marek William » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:11:43

dijo:

Quote:>My indesign 2.0 keeps opening from "My documents".  How to I set the
>preference to open from another directory?  See, I told you it was a
>dumb question...

I think I just answered this the other day. But it's a short answer,
so here it is again.

Adobe claims that there is nothing they can do about this because it
is a requirement of Windows. There is no point arguing with them about
it because they are convinced it is so.

However, all my non-Adobe applications have a preferences setting for
this and that is where they look. I'm no programmer, but if others are
doing it, it must be possible.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Neil Goul » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:12:15

Hi,

Gray)> dijo:

> >My indesign 2.0 keeps opening from "My documents".  How to I set
the
> >preference to open from another directory?  See, I told you it
was a
> >dumb question...

Interesting. ID opens from the last used directory on my Win2k
machine (except on start-up).

Quote:> I think I just answered this the other day. But it's a short
answer,
> so here it is again.

> Adobe claims that there is nothing they can do about this because
it
> is a requirement of Windows. There is no point arguing with them
about
> it because they are convinced it is so.

> However, all my non-Adobe applications have a preferences setting
for
> this and that is where they look. I'm no programmer, but if others
are
> doing it, it must be possible.

[Putting on Programmer's hat]
It is *definitely not* a "Windows requirement" that the File
Services Dialog begin in "My Documents". Further, it is possible to
control where the FSD begins its search by initiating it with the
desired directory parameters. It would be very easy to set these
parameters in a 'preferences' dialog box and save them along with
other application parameters. I suspect that the person at Adobe
just wanted to get you off the line, Marek!  ;-)

Regards,

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Mazla » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:07:41

I used 2.01 on Me. It always open from the last directory that I was working
in.

I have a short cut in the Quick Launch taskbar.
In the properties for Start in:,
it says "C:\Program Files\Adobe\InDesign 2.0"

For the short cut in the Start Menu, the property for Start in: is left
blank.

| My indesign 2.0 keeps opening from "My documents".  How to I set the
| preference to open from another directory?  See, I told you it was a
| dumb question...

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Marek William » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:51:07

dijo:

Quote:>[Putting on Programmer's hat]
>It is *definitely not* a "Windows requirement" that the File
>Services Dialog begin in "My Documents". Further, it is possible to
>control where the FSD begins its search by initiating it with the
>desired directory parameters. It would be very easy to set these
>parameters in a 'preferences' dialog box and save them along with
>other application parameters. I suspect that the person at Adobe
>just wanted to get you off the line, Marek!  ;-)

Well, in fact it was on the InDesign list at Blueworld, not on the
phone, and the person is fairly respected there. Wrong, in this case,
but nevertheless highly regarded.

Curiously, even adding the folder you want in the properties for your
shortcut does nothing. It still starts in /mydocuments the first time
on startup.

It's lame and I hope someone from Adobe is taking notes.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Marek William » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:51:09

Quote:>I used 2.01 on Me. It always open from the last directory that I was working
>in.

>I have a short cut in the Quick Launch taskbar.
>In the properties for Start in:,
>it says "C:\Program Files\Adobe\InDesign 2.0"

>For the short cut in the Start Menu, the property for Start in: is left
>blank.

Just to make sure everyone is communicating clearly on this issue --

When InDesign is first launched the File > Open dialog box starts in
/mydocuments. After you navigate to where your files are really
located and open a file, thereafter it looks in that folder, or
whatever folder you last opened a file from. But when you shut it down
and relaunch it, it will always try again in /mydocuments the first
time.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Mazla » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:17:44

Well, in my case, it ALWAYS open from the last directory that I worked from.
Even after relaunching, restarting, rebooting, or changing the parameters in
the Start in: dialog box, and relaunching, rebooting, or restarting.

Go figure.

But I don't let that bother me anymore.

.
.
.
| Just to make sure everyone is communicating clearly on this issue --
|
| When InDesign is first launched the File > Open dialog box starts in
| /mydocuments. After you navigate to where your files are really
| located and open a file, thereafter it looks in that folder, or
| whatever folder you last opened a file from. But when you shut it down
| and relaunch it, it will always try again in /mydocuments the first
| time.
|
| --
| Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Neil Goul » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:57:41

Hi,

> Just to make sure everyone is communicating clearly on this issue --

> When InDesign is first launched the File > Open dialog box starts in
> /mydocuments. After you navigate to where your files are really
> located and open a file, thereafter it looks in that folder, or
> whatever folder you last opened a file from. But when you shut it down
> and relaunch it, it will always try again in /mydocuments the first
> time.

As it turns out, I recalled this behavior incorrectly. I just booted my
Win2k system w/ID, and when launching the File > Open dialog box, it
started in the last used directory, not "My Documents".

Regards,

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Neil Goul » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:09:00

Hi,

> >I suspect that the person at Adobe
> >just wanted to get you off the line, Marek!  ;-)

> Well, in fact it was on the InDesign list at Blueworld, not on the
> phone, and the person is fairly respected there. Wrong, in this case,
> but nevertheless highly regarded.

That's not unusual. I recently replied to a thread which complained that
Illustrator/PC had been ignored from version 4 to version 7. Basically, I
stated that there wasn't anything to "upgrade" until version 7. The "well
respected expert" jumped in claiming that it was "so wrong", and then
listed the big advances in Mac versions. I pointed out that those
"revolutionary" features in Mac 5.x and 6.x were already features in PC
4.x, essentially making Illustrator/PC 4.x 3 years ahead of Illustrator
for the Mac. There was no response to that reply. I thought respect had to
be earned...

Quote:> Curiously, even adding the folder you want in the properties for your
> shortcut does nothing. It still starts in /mydocuments the first time
> on startup.

> It's lame and I hope someone from Adobe is taking notes.

There appears to be something else going on, since as I mentioned in
another reply, ID File > Open starts in the last used directory at all
times on my system. What's even more interesting about this is that, at
least under Win2k, it starts in the last used directory of the user that
is logged in...

Regards,

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Pegg » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:01:39

Greetings --

<snipped>>

Quote:> > Curiously, even adding the folder you want in the properties for your
> > shortcut does nothing. It still starts in /mydocuments the first time
> > on startup.

> > It's lame and I hope someone from Adobe is taking notes.

> There appears to be something else going on, since as I mentioned in
> another reply, ID File > Open starts in the last used directory at all
> times on my system. What's even more interesting about this is that, at
> least under Win2k, it starts in the last used directory of the user that
> is logged in...

> Regards,

> --
> Neil Gould
> --------------------------------------
>       Terra Tu AV - www.terratu.com
>       Technical Graphics & Media

And on my WinXP system: I have created a shortcut and set it to start in
D:\customers. It starts in the last used directory when I use the "Open"
command, but when I "Save as ..." or save an unnamed document, we go right
back to My Documents. It's aggravating enough that I'm considering moving my
customer files to the My Documents folder. (And I just hate that
nomenclature - My Documents, My Music, My Sore Ass ... I feel like I'm back
in the days of My Little Pony and My First Barbie. </rant>).

Peggy

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Neil Goul » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 05:30:44

Hi,

> > There appears to be something else going on, since as I mentioned in
> > another reply, ID File > Open starts in the last used directory at all
> > times on my system. What's even more interesting about this is that,
at
> > least under Win2k, it starts in the last used directory of the user
that
> > is logged in...

> And on my WinXP system: I have created a shortcut and set it to start in
> D:\customers. It starts in the last used directory when I use the "Open"
> command, but when I "Save as ..." or save an unnamed document, we go
right
> back to My Documents. It's aggravating enough that I'm considering
moving my
> customer files to the My Documents folder. (And I just hate that
> nomenclature - My Documents, My Music, My Sore Ass ... I feel like I'm
back
> in the days of My Little Pony and My First Barbie. </rant>).

Here, the first "Save / Save As" reverts to My Documents, however
subsequent "Save As..." initialize in the directory containing the
document.

<Programmer_Hat>
What appears to be happening is that the variable for the start-up
directory used by the "Save As" command is not initiatialized until the
first "Save / Save As" is executed, even though the document was opened
from a particular directory (?!?).
</Programmer_Hat>

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

Indesign question-- very, very dumb question.

Post by Marek William » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:47:18

dijo:

Quote:>And on my WinXP system: I have created a shortcut and set it to start in
>D:\customers. It starts in the last used directory when I use the "Open"
>command, but when I "Save as ..." or save an unnamed document, we go right
>back to My Documents. It's aggravating enough that I'm considering moving my
>customer files to the My Documents folder. (And I just hate that
>nomenclature - My Documents, My Music, My Sore Ass ... I feel like I'm back
>in the days of My Little Pony and My First Barbie. </rant>).

When I first got NT 4.0 and saw the my-this and my-that *I
wondered if Bill Gates had somehow gotten stuck in a Teletubbies
script. Now that I've seen an XP screen I have become convinced of it.
Microsoft has never understood the difference between "easy" and
"childish."

You have my complete agreement. I'm tired of having my computer insult
my intelligence. Not that I'm overly bright, mind you. I just don't
enjoy having my software remind me of it all day long.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.