Database import question--sort of

Database import question--sort of

Post by Dick Marguli » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:33:56



I'm about to tackle the problem of printing a nicely formatted company
directory (name, department, title, address, anywhere from two to six
phone and fax numbers, maybe some other fields), drawing the data from
an Outlook contact folder.

I sorta kinda maybe know where to start looking in Help, and I have an
old article from Adobe pinned to my cube wall that I haven't read yet.
But I'm not sure any of these addresses the specific gotchas involved in
exporting data from Outlook and automatically formatting it in PM.

Any tips from someone who has done such a thing before?

Thanks,

Dick

 
 
 

Database import question--sort of

Post by Neil Goul » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:37:45


Hi all,


Quote:> I'm about to tackle the problem of printing a nicely formatted company
> directory (name, department, title, address, anywhere from two to six
> phone and fax numbers, maybe some other fields), drawing the data from
> an Outlook contact folder.

> I sorta kinda maybe know where to start looking in Help, and I have an
> old article from Adobe pinned to my cube wall that I haven't read yet.
> But I'm not sure any of these addresses the specific gotchas involved
in
> exporting data from Outlook and automatically formatting it in PM.

> Any tips from someone who has done such a thing before?

While PM would be pretty much my last choice for database publishing, it
can be done on a rudimentary level. The only pointer that I'd give you
is: keep it simple. PM doesn't have an extensive mark-up capability. You
will basically be able to assign paragraph tags to data fields for
output.

Best regards,
--
Neil Gould
----------------------------------------------------------------
     Terra Tu AV   http://www.terratu.com
     Technical Graphics & Media

 
 
 

Database import question--sort of

Post by Peter Tutt » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 06:08:43


I've imported from dozens of databases without a glitch... none from Outlook
though

In general though, Pagemaker is very good, and very quick at converting data
files to tabulated columns.

As long as Outlook exports with a delimiter between fields, and you make
sure you identify that delimiter when importing into Pagemaker (and asking
for it to be converted to a tab) then you should be fine...

Pete


Quote:> I'm about to tackle the problem of printing a nicely formatted company
> directory (name, department, title, address, anywhere from two to six
> phone and fax numbers, maybe some other fields), drawing the data from
> an Outlook contact folder.

> I sorta kinda maybe know where to start looking in Help, and I have an
> old article from Adobe pinned to my cube wall that I haven't read yet.
> But I'm not sure any of these addresses the specific gotchas involved in
> exporting data from Outlook and automatically formatting it in PM.

> Any tips from someone who has done such a thing before?

> Thanks,

>*

 
 
 

Database import question--sort of

Post by Dick Marguli » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:24:23


Pete,

Thanks. I puttered a bit this morning before I got involved in more
pressing problems, and it was easy enough to export from Outlook to
Excel and then import to PM from Excel, but what I ended up with was
exactly what you describe--tab-delimited text. That's not what I was
hoping for, however.

Apparently (after doing some reading), there is no automatic way to
handle this. Each time I want to update the directory, I will have to
edit the intermediate table with markup codes, prior to importing to PM.
Granted, this may turn out to be fairly painless. Time will tell.

Dick


> I've imported from dozens of databases without a glitch... none from Outlook
> though

> In general though, Pagemaker is very good, and very quick at converting data
> files to tabulated columns.

> As long as Outlook exports with a delimiter between fields, and you make
> sure you identify that delimiter when importing into Pagemaker (and asking
> for it to be converted to a tab) then you should be fine...

> Pete

 
 
 

Database import question--sort of

Post by Peter Tutt » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:34:05


What did you want between the fields?

You can use Change and replace all tabs with a comma or whatever... if
that's what you want to do?

Pete


> Pete,

> Thanks. I puttered a bit this morning before I got involved in more
> pressing problems, and it was easy enough to export from Outlook to
> Excel and then import to PM from Excel, but what I ended up with was
> exactly what you describe--tab-delimited text. That's not what I was
> hoping for, however.

> Apparently (after doing some reading), there is no automatic way to
> handle this. Each time I want to update the directory, I will have to
> edit the intermediate table with markup codes, prior to importing to PM.
> Granted, this may turn out to be fairly painless. Time will tell.

>*


> > I've imported from dozens of databases without a glitch... none from
Outlook
> > though

> > In general though, Pagemaker is very good, and very quick at converting
data
> > files to tabulated columns.

> > As long as Outlook exports with a delimiter between fields, and you make
> > sure you identify that delimiter when importing into Pagemaker (and
asking
> > for it to be converted to a tab) then you should be fine...

> > Pete

 
 
 

Database import question--sort of

Post by Dick Marguli » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:19:36


Pete,

No, I wanted to lay out each record more on the order of a business
card, bold the name, maybe hang it, maybe bold the principle phone
number, add the rest of the fields, with labels, as separate lines,
leave some space, move on to the next record ... In other words, each
"column" in the database or spreadsheet is associated with a PageMaker
paragraph style.

I haven't actually designed it yet; I was just trying to get a feel for
the process to get from point A in Outlook to point C in PageMaker. As I
said, it appears to be doable, but even when it is all set up and the
bugs are out of it, it is going to require a certain amount of
hand-manipulation each time I update. It is not the same as, for
example, telling a document that a graphic has changed and the link
should be updated.

I thought perhaps someone here had actually worked through all the
nitty-gritty details and could warn me away from precipices; but I guess
I'll have to crawl out to the edge myself on this one.

Dick


> What did you want between the fields?

> You can use Change and replace all tabs with a comma or whatever... if
> that's what you want to do?

> Pete



> > Pete,

> > Thanks. I puttered a bit this morning before I got involved in more
> > pressing problems, and it was easy enough to export from Outlook to
> > Excel and then import to PM from Excel, but what I ended up with was
> > exactly what you describe--tab-delimited text. That's not what I was
> > hoping for, however.

> > Apparently (after doing some reading), there is no automatic way to
> > handle this. Each time I want to update the directory, I will have to
> > edit the intermediate table with markup codes, prior to importing to PM.
> > Granted, this may turn out to be fairly painless. Time will tell.

> >*


> > > I've imported from dozens of databases without a glitch... none from
> Outlook
> > > though

> > > In general though, Pagemaker is very good, and very quick at converting
> data
> > > files to tabulated columns.

> > > As long as Outlook exports with a delimiter between fields, and you make
> > > sure you identify that delimiter when importing into Pagemaker (and
> asking
> > > for it to be converted to a tab) then you should be fine...

> > > Pete

 
 
 

Database import question--sort of

Post by Gordon Woo » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:19:06


Dick...

You may need to look at the ODBC filter -- it is complex but it
enables you to format the fields that you bring in, and to save the
settings so that next time you bring it in, it will format in a
similar way.

The TWP floating palette for PageMaker (Win only) on our website also
allows different styles to be applied to each tabbed area of each
line. In other words, different styles for each column of a table.
It's free -- just ignore the requests for a registration number. It'll
tell you something like you being in day 120 of a 30 day trial.



>Pete,

>Thanks. I puttered a bit this morning before I got involved in more
>pressing problems, and it was easy enough to export from Outlook to
>Excel and then import to PM from Excel, but what I ended up with was
>exactly what you describe--tab-delimited text. That's not what I was
>hoping for, however.

>Apparently (after doing some reading), there is no automatic way to
>handle this. Each time I want to update the directory, I will have to
>edit the intermediate table with markup codes, prior to importing to PM.
>Granted, this may turn out to be fairly painless. Time will tell.

>Dick


>> I've imported from dozens of databases without a glitch... none from Outlook
>> though

>> In general though, Pagemaker is very good, and very quick at converting data
>> files to tabulated columns.

>> As long as Outlook exports with a delimiter between fields, and you make
>> sure you identify that delimiter when importing into Pagemaker (and asking
>> for it to be converted to a tab) then you should be fine...

>> Pete


The Worsley Press, Hastings, Australia
Publication production website: www.worsleypress.com/pubprod/
Our Format newsletter: www.worsleypress.com/format/
 
 
 

Database import question--sort of

Post by Peter Tutt » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 04:40:30


Actually, if the text file is linked, changes can be automatically updated -
in just the same way as you would with a graphic link.

Pete


> Pete,

> No, I wanted to lay out each record more on the order of a business
> card, bold the name, maybe hang it, maybe bold the principle phone
> number, add the rest of the fields, with labels, as separate lines,
> leave some space, move on to the next record ... In other words, each
> "column" in the database or spreadsheet is associated with a PageMaker
> paragraph style.

> I haven't actually designed it yet; I was just trying to get a feel for
> the process to get from point A in Outlook to point C in PageMaker. As I
> said, it appears to be doable, but even when it is all set up and the
> bugs are out of it, it is going to require a certain amount of
> hand-manipulation each time I update. It is not the same as, for
> example, telling a document that a graphic has changed and the link
> should be updated.

> I thought perhaps someone here had actually worked through all the
> nitty-gritty details and could warn me away from precipices; but I guess
> I'll have to crawl out to the edge myself on this one.

>*


> > What did you want between the fields?

> > You can use Change and replace all tabs with a comma or whatever... if
> > that's what you want to do?

> > Pete



> > > Pete,

> > > Thanks. I puttered a bit this morning before I got involved in more
> > > pressing problems, and it was easy enough to export from Outlook to
> > > Excel and then import to PM from Excel, but what I ended up with was
> > > exactly what you describe--tab-delimited text. That's not what I was
> > > hoping for, however.

> > > Apparently (after doing some reading), there is no automatic way to
> > > handle this. Each time I want to update the directory, I will have to
> > > edit the intermediate table with markup codes, prior to importing to
PM.
> > > Granted, this may turn out to be fairly painless. Time will tell.

> > >*


> > > > I've imported from dozens of databases without a glitch... none from
> > Outlook
> > > > though

> > > > In general though, Pagemaker is very good, and very quick at
converting
> > data
> > > > files to tabulated columns.

> > > > As long as Outlook exports with a delimiter between fields, and you
make
> > > > sure you identify that delimiter when importing into Pagemaker (and
> > asking
> > > > for it to be converted to a tab) then you should be fine...

> > > > Pete

 
 
 

1. URGENT: PageMaker import/import & database connectivity

Hi there,

A friend has a product catalog of some 300 pages neatly aligned in
tabular format and all done in PM.

We now need to get these products into a relational database (Oracle or
Sybase etc.)

I have personally never used PM so am working blind here. If anyone has
any idea of wether or not this is even possible let alone know of
methods of how this can be done, please let me know URGENTLY!

I read somewhere about ODBC plugins and somewhere else about being able
to export to MS Excel but nothing concrete .... grrrr

Of course if there was a way to use ODBC to keep the two linked, this
would be first prize as both the database and the physical catalog will
have to be updated and changed regularly.

PLEASE help us out here !!!

Many thanx
Grant

2. Radiosity renderer...

3. Importing a Database into Pagemaker or QuarkXpress

4. HARDWARE LOCK

5. Importing from Database into Pagemaker - Formating

6. Waving Flags

7. PageMaker - Import Database ala DataShaper

8. Please suggest some good POV-Ray related websites.

9. Database Filters - Importing Links?

10. Import Question---->NOT 3d import

11. Need sort algorithm that takes linear time on a sorted list

12. Sorting 3D triangles (Z Sorting) using qsort() : Problem

13. Sorting Polys: Radix sort algorithm