No, I wanted to lay out each record more on the order of a business
card, bold the name, maybe hang it, maybe bold the principle phone
number, add the rest of the fields, with labels, as separate lines,
leave some space, move on to the next record ... In other words, each
"column" in the database or spreadsheet is associated with a PageMaker
I haven't actually designed it yet; I was just trying to get a feel for
the process to get from point A in Outlook to point C in PageMaker. As I
said, it appears to be doable, but even when it is all set up and the
bugs are out of it, it is going to require a certain amount of
hand-manipulation each time I update. It is not the same as, for
example, telling a document that a graphic has changed and the link
should be updated.
I thought perhaps someone here had actually worked through all the
nitty-gritty details and could warn me away from precipices; but I guess
I'll have to crawl out to the edge myself on this one.
> What did you want between the fields?
> You can use Change and replace all tabs with a comma or whatever... if
> that's what you want to do?
> > Pete,
> > Thanks. I puttered a bit this morning before I got involved in more
> > pressing problems, and it was easy enough to export from Outlook to
> > Excel and then import to PM from Excel, but what I ended up with was
> > exactly what you describe--tab-delimited text. That's not what I was
> > hoping for, however.
> > Apparently (after doing some reading), there is no automatic way to
> > handle this. Each time I want to update the directory, I will have to
> > edit the intermediate table with markup codes, prior to importing to PM.
> > Granted, this may turn out to be fairly painless. Time will tell.
> > > I've imported from dozens of databases without a glitch... none from
> > > though
> > > In general though, Pagemaker is very good, and very quick at converting
> > > files to tabulated columns.
> > > As long as Outlook exports with a delimiter between fields, and you make
> > > sure you identify that delimiter when importing into Pagemaker (and
> > > for it to be converted to a tab) then you should be fine...
> > > Pete