Pixelated Image

Post by Stre » Sun, 11 May 2003 07:23:15

Hi Using Page Maker 6.5 and Photoshop 7 on XP. When I "Place" a high res
JPEG image intp a PM project the image is very pixelated .. I have tries
converting to a TIF but get the same results. The Hi res file can be around
1 meg .. Larger files make no difference .. Any ideas?

Pixelated Image

Post by Helpful Harr » Sun, 11 May 2003 09:38:18

> Hi Using Page Maker 6.5 and Photoshop 7 on XP. When I "Place" a high res
> JPEG image intp a PM project the image is very pixelated .. I have tries
> converting to a TIF but get the same results. The Hi res file can be around
> 1 meg .. Larger files make no difference .. Any ideas?

First:
NEVER EVER use JPEG's for anything except the web/email - ALWAYS use
TIFF or EPS for PageMaker and it'll be much happier (and so will any
professional printer the document goes to for printing).

Second:
NEVER copy / paste images INTO PageMaker - ALWAYS use the Place command
in the File menu. Once it's in PageMaker you can copy / paste to get
multiple copies if needed.

Third:
NEVER enlarge bitmap graphics in PageMaker to above 100% size - unless
you're going for the pixellated design effect.

Now, back to the problem at hand. Is the image just pixellated
on-screen or does it print pixellated too??

If it's just on-screen, then check the settings in PageMaker's
Preferences > General. The preferences can be set to display on-screen
as:

    'gray out'- images will be represented by grey boxes,

    'standard' - useful for faster screen refreshing when moving
    around the document (especially on slow computers),

or  'high resolution' - the full resolution of the image (sort of).

But these preferences only affect the on-screen display, not the actual
printing of the images.

If the problem is still there when printing, the check the options in
the print window (when using a Postscript printer) to be sure you're
NOT just printing 'for position' graphics which uses the low-res
preview. Use the the 'optimised' option or even better the other option
(not the 'Omit graphics' option obviously - sorry I don't have a
PageMaker on this computer to check what the wording says).

If it's a linked image file (rather than embedded), then deleting or
moving the original image file will mean that PageMaker can't find it
to send to the printer, and so sends the stored low-res preview version
instead. If you've moved the original file, then PageMaker will ask you
to find it when you re-open the document or you can click on the image,
choose 'Link Info' from the Element menu and re-link the image to the
original file.

Unless there's a problem with the image itself or you've enlarged it in
PageMaker, that should make it print properly.

Note: JPEG uses a compression system that throws out some data to make
a smaller file, so saving images as JPEG will loose data and in heavy
compression settings it can cause bad pixellation to be visible. If
you've already saved the image as a JPEG, then the damage has been done
and can't be undone - you'll need to rescan / recreate the original.

Helpful Harry
"Just trying to help whenever I can."      :o)

Pixelated Image

Post by Lyn Egglest » Mon, 12 May 2003 23:45:51

> If the problem is still there when printing, the check the options in
> the print window (when using a Postscript printer) to be sure you're
> NOT just printing 'for position' graphics which uses the low-res
> preview. Use the the 'optimised' option or even better the other option
> (not the 'Omit graphics' option obviously - sorry I don't have a
> PageMaker on this computer to check what the wording says).

Just one comment to add to the excellent summary provided by Harry....

When printing, under File>Print>Options (assuming you have selected a
postscript printer) there is a box labelled 'TIFs/Images', and then a
dropdown list under 'Send Image Data', where you should select the
choice NORMAL, not the default 'Optimised subsampling' which will send
a lower quality image to print.

Pixelated Image

Post by Helpful Harr » Tue, 13 May 2003 06:02:29

> > If the problem is still there when printing, the check the options in
> > the print window (when using a Postscript printer) to be sure you're
> > NOT just printing 'for position' graphics which uses the low-res
> > preview. Use the the 'optimised' option or even better the other option
> > (not the 'Omit graphics' option obviously - sorry I don't have a
> > PageMaker on this computer to check what the wording says).

> Just one comment to add to the excellent summary provided by Harry....

> When printing, under File>Print>Options (assuming you have selected a
> postscript printer) there is a box labelled 'TIFs/Images', and then a
> dropdown list under 'Send Image Data', where you should select the
> choice NORMAL, not the default 'Optimised subsampling' which will send
> a lower quality image to print.

Thanks - that's the option I couldn't remember the wording of.  :o)

Helpful Harry
"Just trying to help whenever I can."      :o)

1. how do you fix a pixelated image???

hi y'all...

how does one smooth out a pixelated image..?

==========================
Radji Millette
Web Developer / Concepteur de pages Web
eServices Management & Development / Gestion et dveloppement des services
lectroniques
Canada Student Loans / Programme canadien de prts aux tudiants
HRDC / DRHC
Tel: (819) 994.0506
Fax: (819) 997.4660

http://www.canlearn.ca

2. Setting up margins to print on double side matte paper; text inserts for CDs

3. Why would exporting PDF from PM 6.52 yields pixelated images...?

4. Win98, PS and two 17" Opinions ??

5. Does anyone know a program that can zoom a image file like bitmap and not pixelate

6. Evaluating DirectX - questions for old pros

7. 'Pixelated' images

8. TGA-converter/viewer for UNIX

9. pixelate

10. Very pixelated text / vector graphics?

11. Need a "pixelated" font

12. pixelating text