Shadow and Outline fonts

Post by Brad Devl » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I can't ssem to get Pagemake 6.5 to genrate Shadow or Outline fonts,
no matter what I do. Anybody else get this to work ?

Shadow and Outline fonts

Post by Eileen Ni » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Does not work in win95. Microsoft word 97 shadows, outlines and engraves
fonts. It will be in the next MS publisher release next year.

Shadow and Outline fonts

Post by Kym ap Rhy » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I can't ssem to get Pagemake 6.5 to genrate Shadow or Outline fonts,
> no matter what I do. Anybody else get this to work ?

This only works on the Mac version :-(

Kym

Shadow and Outline fonts

Post by Eileen Ni » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

You can purchase some outline fonts from Corel mega gallery,$99. It has
such a rich selection of fonts and clip arts. Several fonts are the same as
adobe except under a different name. This will save a ton of money buying
fonts. I enjoy the Stop Stealing Sheep book for adobe that goes over the
various uses of fonts. The majority of these font in the book can be found
in the graphic pack --again, under a different name.

> > I can't ssem to get Pagemake 6.5 to genrate Shadow or Outline fonts,
> > no matter what I do. Anybody else get this to work ?

> This only works on the Mac version :-(

> Kym

Shadow and Outline fonts

Post by Dave Bro » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I can't ssem to get Pagemake 6.5 to genrate Shadow or Outline fonts,
>no matter what I do. Anybody else get this to work ?

If you're planning to send your file to a service bureau for hi-res film
output, seriously consider abandoning these oddball type styles.

Ideally, you should directly select the font you need. If you're using
Times and want bold, select Times Bold... don't just click on "bold".
Obviously, this is a pain in the, um, mouse. So at least restrict yourself
to style selections that actually call up an existing font outline.

() Don't select "bold" or "italic" unless your font actually has that
version. We recently had to deal with a job that relied on "Orator Bold."
There is no such thing (at least with the Adobe face being used)... the
operating system will try to smear or slant the type, but it usually looks
pretty bad and might not show up at all on an imagesetter.

() Outline, shadow, inlined, and such synthetic styles are asking for even
worse trouble. If you can, create these effects in Illustrator or Freehand
(convert the type to paths/outlines, then do what you need).

() Similarly, selecting MultipleMaster variations without defining that
instance (and providing it to your service bureau) can result in bad font
substitution (i.e., to Courier).

Dave

--
Dave Brown
To send email, remove ".NOSPAM" from return address

Shadow and Outline fonts

Post by Luc Desaulnie » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Dave,

Orator Bold does exist and it was created in 1987 by Adobe.

--Luc

() Don't select "bold" or "italic" unless your font actually has that
version. We recently had to deal with a job that relied on "Orator Bold."
There is no such thing (at least with the Adobe face being used)... the
operating system will try to smear or slant the type, but it usually looks
pretty bad and might not show up at all on an imagesetter.()

1. drop shadow as outline pattern?

Does somebody know how to convert a gradient (such as a drop shadow
with soft edges) into a pattern that can be outlined and brought into
Illustrator?

I've seen it done a number of times whereby the shadow/gradient is
converted into a series of dots that are all joined together and get
smaller as the tint of the gradient gets lighter(the spaces between
the dots gets larger), I would imagine that there is some kind of
filter that does this, or a technique using the apply screen when
converting to bitmap, but I've never been able to achieve the results
that I have seen elsewhere.

I last used it on some branding and POS material for Holsten Pils,
where the shadow was yellow dots on a green background, but the files
were produced elsewhere and I only included them in my designs.

Any ideas?

2. Minimum size for smoothing TTF truetype fonts

3. Print font outline, white center, colored background in c w95

4. My first Alienoid.

5. outline font problem

6. plane to sphere?

7. Advice sought: Turning font outlines into renderable polygons

8. OPENGL.DLL

9. WHERE CAN I GET Outlined/Polygonized Font Definitions???

10. outlined fonts?

11. Looking for program to outline a font.

12. help: how to outline fonts?