keep text from reflowing off a page?

Post by Phillip Voge » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:03:06

I have a book in pagemaker 7.01. The client wants to make edits, many of
which would cause text to reflow. I have been FORBIDDEN to move anything of
its current page, so as not to upset the index.

Is there a way in PM7.01 to keep the text that is on a page from moving off
that page? The book is just over 100 pages, and there are edits required on
about half of the pages.

Thanks,

Phillip

keep text from reflowing off a page?

Post by Dick Marguli » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 06:55:06

Phillip,

First, it sounds as if the index was created manually rather than by
using PM's index markers. That's a shame. But if, perchance, index
markers were used, you can explain to your client that regenerating the
index is a simple matter.

Second, to answer the question you actually asked, you can do this (no
guarantees as to how the finished pages will look):

On each page, select the text block with the selection tool (arrow). Cut
it (Ctrl-X). Then power paste it (Ctrl-Alt-V). This puts it right back
where it was but as an orphaned story, not part of a text flow. Doing
this 100 times should take you less than five minutes.

Now, in making the edits on a given page, you may need to change the
page depth to fit the text; you may need to change the tracking of a
line or a paragraph or the whole page. You may need to make the block a
little wider or narrower. None of these are good design practices, but
you are between a rock and a hard place, so you'll make the tradeoffs
you need to make.

Dick

> I have a book in pagemaker 7.01. The client wants to make edits, many of
> which would cause text to reflow. I have been FORBIDDEN to move anything of
> its current page, so as not to upset the index.

> Is there a way in PM7.01 to keep the text that is on a page from moving off
> that page? The book is just over 100 pages, and there are edits required on
> about half of the pages.

> Thanks,

> Phillip

1. Archiving text off of Quark Xpress pages

Is anyone out there using any really good software they can recommend for
automatically archiving text that was edited on Quark Xpress pages? (Not
QPS files.)
My publication is moving to a Quark pagination process but recently
discovered that archiving is adding (currently, with just two editions
Quarked) four hours a day to our staff process in our LIBRARY. We were
pretty smug that pagination hasn't added any extra time on the actual
production side, but there doesn't appear to be any automatic way to get
the pages off Quark pages such that the headlines, text, cutlines and such
are in a text file for library archiving in logical order.
The pages we're trying to archive vary greatly: Some are virtually just
text lists; others are photo spreads and everything in between.

I'm way open to any suggestions at this point.
Thanks in advance,
Mark Thompson
Fort Wayne, Indiana

2. Mesh, texturing

3. Turning off master page # on SOME pages?

4. Portfolio - How?

5. ATM 3.9 Keeps Turning Itself Off!

6. Q: Which E-Machines Card?

7. Aligning Text on Master Pages with normal pages

8. hand-held color/text scanners?

9. I keep getting page fault errors

10. Keep pages HELP!!!!

11. Text tools keeps adding italics

12. keeping all text on single layer ???