Missing Fonts

Post by Peter Collinso » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 01:04:56

Greetings...

Using PageMaker 7.0 on an XP platform.

After preparing a file, I run the SAVE FOR SERVICE PROVIDER utility
prior to performing the PDF export. Quite often I get the dreaded red
"X" and the "Summary" tab message:

    Fonts are not okay for printing or
    creating a package for service provider.

I then click the "Fonts" tab where it says:

    Fonts needed for this publication
    are not available.

The report box, however, shows that the two fonts I use are identified
by name and indicated as "installed."

Then I attempt to hunt down the problem, assuming that it's an unused
type container on the paste board... eliminating that possibility by a
maximum reduction and doing a CTRL + A to see what might be invisible to
the eye.

Then I do a CTRL + A inside each type box to see if there's a remnant of
that pesky "Times" font somewhere within.

Finally, I save the file to another name, and start deleting type
containers, running the checking utility at each step of the way... and
get that same red "X" everytime, even when everything seems to be
removed from the pasteboard.

What step am I missing? How do I resolve this problem?

--
- Yours truly, Pete Collinson

Missing Fonts

Post by Pegg » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 03:10:32

Greetings --

Quote:> Greetings...

> Using PageMaker 7.0 on an XP platform.

> After preparing a file, I run the SAVE FOR SERVICE PROVIDER utility
> prior to performing the PDF export. Quite often I get the dreaded red
> "X" and the "Summary" tab message:

>     Fonts are not okay for printing or
>     creating a package for service provider.

> I then click the "Fonts" tab where it says:

>     Fonts needed for this publication
>     are not available.

> The report box, however, shows that the two fonts I use are identified
> by name and indicated as "installed."

> Then I attempt to hunt down the problem, assuming that it's an unused
> type container on the paste board... eliminating that possibility by a
> maximum reduction and doing a CTRL + A to see what might be invisible to
> the eye.

> Then I do a CTRL + A inside each type box to see if there's a remnant of
> that pesky "Times" font somewhere within.

> Finally, I save the file to another name, and start deleting type
> containers, running the checking utility at each step of the way... and
> get that same red "X" everytime, even when everything seems to be
> removed from the pasteboard.

> What step am I missing? How do I resolve this problem?

> --
> - Yours truly, Pete Collinson

Here are a couple of things to try:
1. Check to see what font is designated for Story Editor. Change it if it's
one of the ones causing problems.
2. Rather than deleting, try changing the problem fonts to something you
know you'll see - Dingbats is a logical choice. Then you can more easily
spot where the font is showing up - if it is.
3. You don't mention if you are using a font manager - if you are, check
there to see the properties of the font.
4. Try re-installing and then un-installing the fonts. Or, if they create no
problems in your document, just leave them installed.

Let us know what works!
Peggy

Missing Fonts

Post by J C » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 05:01:02

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 16:04:56 GMT, "Peter Collinson"

>Greetings...

>Using PageMaker 7.0 on an XP platform.

>After preparing a file, I run the SAVE FOR SERVICE PROVIDER utility
>prior to performing the PDF export. Quite often I get the dreaded red
>"X" and the "Summary" tab message:

This is a major reason you will find that supplying PDFs for prepress
are superior to packaging fonts and sending native PM files (not to
mention the fact that providing fonts from a PC to a Mac environment,
if that's what you're doing,  is a worthless effort anyway).

-- JC

Missing Fonts

Post by Marek William » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 15:24:37

dijo:

Quote:>Here are a couple of things to try:
>1. Check to see what font is designated for Story Editor. Change it if it's
>one of the ones causing problems.
>2. Rather than deleting, try changing the problem fonts to something you
>know you'll see - Dingbats is a logical choice. Then you can more easily
>spot where the font is showing up - if it is.
>3. You don't mention if you are using a font manager - if you are, check
>there to see the properties of the font.
>4. Try re-installing and then un-installing the fonts. Or, if they create no
>problems in your document, just leave them installed.

You forgot to mention styles. It might be lurking in an unused style.
Also, it might be in an EPS, although those usually blow up while
you're still working on the document.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Missing Fonts

Post by Pegg » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 04:26:43

Greetings --

> dijo:

> >Here are a couple of things to try:
<snip>

> You forgot to mention styles. It might be lurking in an unused style.
> Also, it might be in an EPS, although those usually blow up while
> you're still working on the document.

> --
> Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

<forehead smack>
Oh yes - and now we know, boys and girls, why many contributors are better
than one! Yay usenet!!!

Peggy

1. Announce: Font Fetch for QXP Opens Missing Fonts!

NRG Software ships upgrade to Font Fetch for QuarkXPress

Milwaukee, WI -- July 22, 1996 -- NRG Software, LLC., today shipped Font
Fetch 1.3, a QuarkXPress XTension that is destined to revolutionize font
management. Unlike utilities that collect fonts for output and analyze for
errors, Font Fetch opens any missing fonts in documents, libraries, and
placed EPS images, saving hours per week, that are accessible from sets in
Symantec Corp.'s Suitcase 3.0. Now QuarkXPress users no longer have to
write down cryptic names of fonts that are missing in documents and then
go into their font manager to find and open them.  Font Fetch is also
great for scripters who batch process files for output.

A version of Font Fetch for PageMaker will be released shortly, and will
be made available online free to all registered users.

Priced at $99.95 (volume discounts are available) per copy, Font Fetch is
available world-wide through XChange, Inc. Call 800-788-7557 in the US and
Canada) or 415-864-7592 (fax 415-864-7594) elsewhere.

General product information, demos and updaters are available online at

calling XChange.

2. IPR problems

3. The Missing Font!!

4. Help!! - Update from 3.0x to 3.04 (WIN95) -- Help!!!

5. missing font in Illustrator

6. : determine the available memory

7. "Missing Font" Xpress 3.3

8. Texture Mapping/Managament - Basic Questions

9. Missing fonts when displaying on IRIX

10. problems with missing fonts..

11. Missing Fonts in PSP

12. missing fonts?

13. Missing Font in PS CS