GNU plot comment, errorbars

Post by Tanja Jutta Schu » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:27:02

Tanja Schuck                      Your Name

GNU plot comment, errorbars                      Subject

DOS                      Operating System

3.71                      gnuplot version/patchlevel

    ?                  gnuplot driver used

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right address to write to,
but it's worth trying

I've recently started to use GNU for my plot and the only
thing I really don't like are the errorbars if you plot
as a postscript or*file.

I don't see any need to plot errorbars in different linestyles.
It is confusing, and often you can't see them very well.

Conventionally in a scientific journal you would find errorbars
as a straight line, may be .5pt thick.

Also the errorbar going through the symbol is a bit strange and
doesn't look very well.

Tanja

PS
I tried to send this via the html form on
http://www.veryComputer.com/
but it didn't work

GNU plot comment, errorbars

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 19:25:53

Quote:> I've recently started to use GNU for my plot

Just a small reminder: The program's name is 'gnuplot'. Not GNU plot,
nor GNUPlot or anything with a capital GNU in it. gnuplot is in no way
linked to the GNU project -- the name is a coincidence.

Quote:> and the only thing I really don't like are the errorbars if you plot
> as a postscript or*file.
> I don't see any need to plot errorbars in different linestyles.
> It is confusing, and often you can't see them very well.

The real problem is that a plot containing more than one dataset
plotted with errorbars will quite likely be unintelligible, if the
errorbars aren't distinguishable from each other by linetype or some
other means.  Given two data points from different datasets, at the
exact same x position, the y value of one lying within the error bar
of the other: how would you know which error bar end belongs to which
data point if both error bars were drawn in the same line style?

The usual solution to this problem applied by journals is to bend some
of the errorbars sideways so they don't intersect. But that is close
to impossible to implement in gnuplot, as it currently exists: it
doesn't remember where it already drew something, so it does not know
if there is stuff from another dataset it would have to avoid
intersecting.

Quote:> Also the errorbar going through the symbol is a bit strange and
> doesn't look very well.

That's also unavoidable due to the design of gnuplot: the gnuplot core
simply doesn't know how large the point symbol really is, so it cannot
easily avoid overpainting it.

1. Plotting Arrays in GNU plot

Hello,
I needed jut a little information. I am wondering if GNU plot
lets us define the arrays for x and y axis, based on my preliminary
investigation I do not think it is possible. We want to do something
like this

int yaxisdata[1,2,3,4,5,6,7]

int xaxisdata[9,10,11,12,13,14,15]

Plot xaxisdata, yaxisdata

Is it possible based on 3.7.1 if not How could this be modified . I am
looking at function eval_points and the list curve_points and was
thinking that maybe we should try to read from our arrays at those
stages if we have to read specific arrays.

Besides another problem is that we need to plot char, int, float both
signed and unsigned.
Looking forward to hear from you soon

Best Regards and thanks for your time.

Usman

2. Shading

3. Plotting data with errorbars and functions

4. How to protect an EPS file from misuse?

5. colors when plotting data with lines and errorbars

6. Windows 96 Beta

7. How to use X-errorbars without Y-errorbars?

8. GNU plotting utilities 2.1.1 released

9. GNU plotting utilities 2.1 released

10. ANNOUNCE: GNU plotting utilities 2.0 released

11. ANNOUNCE: GNU plotting utilities 1.3 released

12. ANNOUNCE: GNU plotting utilities 1.1 released