"All points undefined"

Post by Edwin M Merca » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I am a new gnuplot user and i am having a lot of trouble getting gnuplot
to process my datafiles.  i have looked in online help and at all the
various docs on the web, and i still cant figure out whats going wrong.

I am trying to plot using the following command:
        plot 'datafile.dat' using 1:2

GNUplot responds w/ "All points undefined."

Is this because my plot command syntax is wrong, or is it because my
datafile is improperly formatted? Does gnuplot require that columns be
separated by tabs, or is any arbitrary amount of white space between
columns on a particular line OK?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-edwin mercado

"All points undefined"

Post by crawford richa » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am a new gnuplot user and i am having a lot of trouble getting gnuplot
> to process my datafiles.  i have looked in online help and at all the
> various docs on the web, and i still cant figure out whats going wrong.

> I am trying to plot using the following command:
>    plot 'datafile.dat' using 1:2

> GNUplot responds w/ "All points undefined."

> Is this because my plot command syntax is wrong, or is it because my
> datafile is improperly formatted? Does gnuplot require that columns be
> separated by tabs, or is any arbitrary amount of white space between
> columns on a particular line OK?

gnuplot doesn't care if you have tabs or white space as separators (or
even both) -- or, for that matter, if you specify a 'scanf' string the
numbers can be run together.

I wonder if there's some text inadvertantly in your data -- perhaps
1.00E+01 instead of 1.00e+01 (gnuplot 3.6 allows both).

If everything still looks okay to you, post a few lines of your data
file to the newsgroup and perhaps one of us will see something...

1. "all points undefined"

First, thanks to everyone who mailed me...

I figured out the problem- I thought that gnuplot could take arithmetic
expressions in a datafile, but obviously it cant, not for gnuplot 3.5
anyway....

in my data file i had
        3       (4+5)

thinking that it would plot at 3,9

Instead, it choked.

-edwin mercado

2. ADMIN: Newsgroup server consolidation

3. ****"""""BUG IN PROGRAM"""*****

4. layered textures question in POV

5. """"LOOKING FOR METRAEYES MODELLER AND TURBO.PXP FOR AN EXCHANGE"""""

6. Fast graphics primitives

7. Dss Satellite "HU"&"H"card programming click link

8. mailing-list

9. different *point*,*vector*,*normal* "why"

10. Another GraphicsConverter Q: Margin "Points"

11. "Fastest Point in Polygon Test"... Answe

12. "Fastest point in polygon test" - Haines

13. ***WHICH IS BEST CAPTURE"SNAPPY""AIGOTCHA"?***