info-gnuplot-digest V1 #2014

Post by gavin buxt » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 23:35:16

Hi,

You could construct a goofy kind of function for your
second problem, i.e.

plot 'data.dat' u 1:($3==1?$2:0)

which should plot the second column if the third
column is equal to one, and plot zero if it isn't.
Although I've never tried plotting this so I don't
know if it will work. The answer to your first
question lies in the fact that your on a linux box -
somebody posted the same question a couple of months
back - you can combine the data files using a unix
commands, and plot the resulting combined data. I
can't remember the command though, I don't think it
was cat, it would have been the one that makes it
combine along rather than down. perhaps someone else
can remember?

Gavin.

Quote:> Problem1:
> I have three data-files: file1 with more columns
>                        file2 and 3 with more columns
> also
> I want to have a 2D plot with x axis: column 2 in
> file1
>                        and y axis: (column 3 in
> file2)
>                         or y axis: (column 3 in
> file2)/(column5 in file3)

> Problem2:
> I have one 'data-file' with 3 columns
> I want to plot 'data-file' u 1:2 only if the
> parameter in the third column
> have a definite value.

> Thank you very much!
> system: red hat linux 8.0

]]]]

info-gnuplot-digest V1 #2014

Post by mat.. » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 08:46:09

Hi, all!

It's better to use 1/0, which will produce no plottable points.

  plot 'data.dat' u 1:($3==1?$2:1/0)

As for the the problem1, command of 'paste' will help. For example,

  plot "< paste file1 file2 file3" using 2:(n1+3), \
       "" using 2:($(n1+3)/$(n1+n2+5))

where n1 and n2 are total number of the columns of the file1 and file2
respectively.

Quote:>Hi,

>You could construct a goofy kind of function for your
>second problem, i.e.

>plot 'data.dat' u 1:($3==1?$2:0)

>which should plot the second column if the third
>column is equal to one, and plot zero if it isn't.
>Although I've never tried plotting this so I don't
>know if it will work. The answer to your first
>question lies in the fact that your on a linux box -
>somebody posted the same question a couple of months
>back - you can combine the data files using a unix
>commands, and plot the resulting combined data. I
>can't remember the command though, I don't think it
>was cat, it would have been the one that makes it
>combine along rather than down. perhaps someone else
>can remember?

>Gavin.

>> Problem1:
>> I have three data-files: file1 with more columns
>>                        file2 and 3 with more columns
>> also
>> I want to have a 2D plot with x axis: column 2 in
>> file1
>>                        and y axis: (column 3 in
>> file2)
>>                         or y axis: (column 3 in
>> file2)/(column5 in file3)

>> Problem2:
>> I have one 'data-file' with 3 columns
>> I want to plot 'data-file' u 1:2 only if the
>> parameter in the third column
>> have a definite value.

>> Thank you very much!
>> system: red hat linux 8.0

 - -
[[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
unsubscribe info-gnuplot

]]]]

1. info-gnuplot-digest V1 #2094

Hi,

You can control the size of the plotting using xrange
and yrange, which gives you the limits, or bounds, of
your plot. And if you want them to look the same then
you can use set xtics to put the tics where you want,
and also whatever you want. For example....

set xrange[0:10]
set yrange[0:10]
set xtics ("low" 0, "medium" 5, "high" 10)

Set size only changes the size of the graph relative
to the paper, for example if you want to try and make
it look square or something. Hope this helps.....

Gavin.

]]]]

2. Approximate timeframe for release of DX9 on MSDN or as a public beta?

3. info-gnuplot-digest V1 #2070

4. Interactive Java-based map of the WORLD

5. info-gnuplot-digest V1 #2068

6. Pov + Big Pics + Multiple Machines ?

7. info-gnuplot-digest V1 #2064

8. Which Wacom Stylus pen