Memory Allocation with MS-DOS/Windows GnuPlot

Memory Allocation with MS-DOS/Windows GnuPlot

Post by pd.. » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have been exploring the possibility of using GnuPlot to plot complex
surfaces on a PC.  I downloaded an MS-DOS version of GnuPLot from a
Finnish site.  However, when I tried typing in

Quote:> splot "surface.gnu"

I received the following message:

Can not allocate more than 64k in MS-DOS.

This is frustrating since I have over 300 MB of RAM on my PC.  Is there
any way that I can change these settings or download a version of
GnuPlot that can splot large surface files?

Many thanks in advance,
Peter Likonen.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>> splot "surface.gnu"
> I received the following message:
> Can not allocate more than 64k in MS-DOS.

That's the telltale sign of a 16bit DOS program: no single object can
(easily) be bigger than 64K.

Quote:> This is frustrating since I have over 300 MB of RAM on my PC.  Is there
> any way that I can change these settings or download a version of
> GnuPlot that can splot large surface files?

Just get any DOS version described as a '32bit' one. Of the current
prebuilt binaries of version 3.7.1 provided by the team, this includes
at least the packages gp371djg.zip and gp371dj2.zip. These are built
with the DOS 32bit port of GNU CC.

Post by pd.. » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> >> splot "surface.gnu"

> > I received the following message:

> > Can not allocate more than 64k in MS-DOS.

> That's the telltale sign of a 16bit DOS program: no single object can
> (easily) be bigger than 64K.

> > This is frustrating since I have over 300 MB of RAM on my PC.  Is
there
> > any way that I can change these settings or download a version of
> > GnuPlot that can splot large surface files?

> Just get any DOS version described as a '32bit' one. Of the current
> prebuilt binaries of version 3.7.1 provided by the team, this includes
> at least the packages gp371djg.zip and gp371dj2.zip. These are built
> with the DOS 32bit port of GNU CC.
> --

> Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.

Thanks very much.  I got gp371djg.zip and it worked fine.

Thanks again,
Peter.