Help, move the line labels out of the data line

Help, move the line labels out of the data line

Post by Joseph Ku » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

        I have plotted six data lines but all the line labels appears on top of the data lines.
I don't want to enlarge the scale on y-axis just to move labels away from the lines.
Is it possible to move the line labels out of the plotting region?  Or move the labels occur on
the top left corner of the plotting region would do?

                                                Thanks in advance
                                                        Joe

Date: 25 Jul 1997 15:31:21 GMT

<        I have plotted six data lines but all the line labels appears on top of the data lines.
<I don't want to enlarge the scale on y-axis just to move labels away from the lines.
<Is it possible to move the line labels out of the plotting region?  Or move the labels occur on
<the top left corner of the plotting region would do?

<                                                Thanks in advance
<                                  Joe

Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Subject: [NEWS] Help, move the line labels out of the data line

Dear Joseph,

     Your problems are not completelly clear for me, sorry.
Do you use GNUPLOT commands like

1) set label "text" at .28,-.94 right
     to place label at (x,y) where you want, or
2) set nolabel
     to move them off at all?
(use GNUPLOT help)

     Then, using WinGnu it is possible to produce BMP-picture and edit
it in PaintPrush in very wide range...

     Best wishes,
             Dr Ye Gayev (Kiev)

Post by Johannes Faerbe » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I have plotted six data lines but all the line labels appears on
> top of the data lines. I don't want to enlarge the scale on y-axis
> just to move labels away from the lines. Is it possible to move
> the line labels out of the plotting region?  Or move the labels
> occur on the top left corner of the plotting region would do?

I had the same problem: these are not labels but the "key". So try
"help key" to see how you can place the text anywhere you want.
Hope that helps,

Johannes

--
Institute of Communication Networks and Computer Engineering (IND)
University of Stuttgart

Post by Stefano Ghirland » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>         I have plotted six data lines but all the line labels appears on top of the data lines.
> I don't want to enlarge the scale on y-axis just to move labels away from the lines.
> Is it possible to move the line labels out of the plotting region?  Or move the labels occur on
> the top left corner of the plotting region would do?

>                                                 Thanks in advance
>                                                         Joe

SHORT ANSWER: gnuplot> set k o (enter)

LONG ANSWER:
You should maybe distinguish between *labels* and *keys*. LAbels you put
using 'set label "mylabel" at x,y" and with x,y (or x,y,z) you control
exaclty their position. So I suppose you talk about keys, those things
that tell you what is what when more curves or datasets are on the same
graph. By default theu are the same as the name of the datafile you
plot, but can be set using 'title' when plotting:

plot "file1.dat" title "the first"
plot "file2.dt" title the second"

will produce the effect:         ------- the first
                                 - - - - the second
or the like somewhre in the plot.
This somewhere is controlled by 'set key' commands, with the
self-evident arguments 'bottom', 'top', 'right', 'left' and the one you
look for, 'outside'. There is no 'inside' argument, just do 'set key' if
you want to bring keys back inside of the plot. Long keynames don't look
good on the side, better 'top' or 'bottom' (e.g. 'set key outside bottom
right', or 'set k o b r').

                Cheers and good luck,
--
                                Stefano Ghirlanda,
                                Stockholms Universitet,

Post by crawford richa » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> >         I have plotted six data lines but all the line labels appears on top of the data lines.
> > I don't want to enlarge the scale on y-axis just to move labels away from the lines.
> > Is it possible to move the line labels out of the plotting region?  Or move the labels occur on
> > the top left corner of the plotting region would do?

> >                                                 Thanks in advance
> >                                                         Joe

> SHORT ANSWER: gnuplot> set k o (enter)

> LONG ANSWER:
> You should maybe distinguish between *labels* and *keys*. LAbels you put
> using 'set label "mylabel" at x,y" and with x,y (or x,y,z) you control
> exaclty their position. So I suppose you talk about keys, those things
> that tell you what is what when more curves or datasets are on the same
> graph. By default theu are the same as the name of the datafile you
> plot, but can be set using 'title' when plotting:

> plot "file1.dat" title "the first"
> plot "file2.dt" title the second"

> will produce the effect:    ------- the first
>                             - - - - the second
> or the like somewhre in the plot.
> This somewhere is controlled by 'set key' commands, with the
> self-evident arguments 'bottom', 'top', 'right', 'left' and the one you
> look for, 'outside'. There is no 'inside' argument, just do 'set key' if
> you want to bring keys back inside of the plot. Long keynames don't look
> good on the side, better 'top' or 'bottom' (e.g. 'set key outside bottom
> right', or 'set k o b r').

This is all correct -- for gnuplot 3.6.

If you are running gnuplot 3.5, you can specify the position only in
data coordinates, that is,

  set key <x>,<y>

where <x> and <y> are the coordinates in the same units as the data.
You can still put the key outside the graph, but the margins won't but
adjusted automatically; you might have to use "set size" to make the
graph smaller and hence make the margin wide enough to hold the key.

1. Help, data line's title covers data line

When I plot each data line on the same graph with tile, the title appears
on the right top corner. How can I move those titles into other postions?

                                                        Thanks
                                                        Joe

2. TIFF Specs

3. Help: how do I adjust the position of the data line label

4. Depth of field on hypervoxels ?

5. label line spacing help please

6. Good looking antialiasing

7. Lines,Lines,Lines

8. text on OCR form

9. References for automatic contour line labeling?

10. Font name and line point size wanted for food label

11. Labels on contour lines

12. label line spacing?

13. lines label