Fit messages

Post by sachin velanka » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 04:35:23

Hello,
I fitted a function y=f(a, x) to a datafile containing about 8000 pairs of x
and y.  When I ran the fit command, I got the messages

Max. number of data points scaled up to: 3072
Max. number of data points scaled up to: 4608
Max. number of data points scaled up to: 6912
Max. number of data points scaled up to: 10368

After these messages were displayed, the fitting proceeded normally and the
fits look good.  Can someone explain what the messages mean?
Thanks!
Sachin

Fit messages

Post by sachin velanka » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 04:38:41

Sorry, I should have mentioned: I'm running gnuplot3.7 patchlevel 1 on a
WinNT machine.
Sachin

Quote:> Hello,
> I fitted a function y=f(a, x) to a datafile containing about 8000 pairs of
> and y.  When I ran the fit command, I got the messages

> Max. number of data points scaled up to: 3072
> Max. number of data points scaled up to: 4608
> Max. number of data points scaled up to: 6912
> Max. number of data points scaled up to: 10368

> After these messages were displayed, the fitting proceeded normally and
the
> fits look good.  Can someone explain what the messages mean?
> Thanks!
> Sachin

Fit messages

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 21:11:24

> Max. number of data points scaled up to: 3072
> Max. number of data points scaled up to: 4608
> Max. number of data points scaled up to: 6912
> Max. number of data points scaled up to: 10368
> After these messages were displayed, the fitting proceeded normally and the
> fits look good.  Can someone explain what the messages mean?

They mean just what they say: the maximal number of allowed datapoints
in a fit was increased because the default maximum of about 2000 was
too small for your datasample.  There's an internal buffer to hold all
the data which has to be resized if you exceed its current size.  I
made it output that message mainly as a debugging aid, back when I
implemented that feature.

The messages are harmless --- no need to worry about them.