plotting lines with index and double spaced data, what's wrong?

plotting lines with index and double spaced data, what's wrong?

Post by johnny.. » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
The  data at the end of this post is in ' file1.txt'  and plots fine
with the following commands:

                set timefmt "%H:%M"
        set xdata time
        set format x '%H:%M'

        plot 'file1.txt' using 1:2  with lines

but...

 I want to select just a few using the index key word:

plot 'file1.txt' index 3:8 using 1:2  with lines

So naturally, I must separate the data by a double space so that index
can work with it.  But when the data separated by double blank lines
between records, with lines plots a blank screen. With financebars
index works fine on the double spaced data, but with lines it does not
work.  What's wrong?

06:53 0.32
06:53 0.32
06:53 0.43
06:53 0.56
06:54 0.56
06:54 0.52
06:54 0.43
06:54 0.43
06:54 0.43
06:54 0.37
06:54 0.37
06:54 0.42
06:54 0.42
06:54 0.38
06:54 0.38
06:55 0.27
06:56 0.30
06:57 0.11
06:58 0.30
06:59 0.45
07:00 0.65
07:01 0.45
07:02 0.78
07:03 0.58
07:04 0.90
07:05 0.67
07:06 0.68
07:07 0.67
07:08 0.56
07:09 0.55
07:10 0.46
07:11 0.45
07:12 0.54

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
> The  data at the end of this post is in ' file1.txt'  and plots fine
> with the following commands:
>                 set timefmt "%H:%M"
>    set xdata time
>    set format x '%H:%M'
>    plot 'file1.txt' using 1:2  with lines
> but...
>  I want to select just a few using the index key word:
> plot 'file1.txt' index 3:8 using 1:2  with lines

For that datafile, that's the wrong direction to try and make that
selection. Use 'every' instead.

Quote:> So naturally, I must separate the data by a double space so that index
> can work with it.  But when the data separated by double blank lines
> between records, with lines plots a blank screen.

That's because lines aren't connected from one 'index' subdataset to
the next, nor across any other blank line in the input.

plotting lines with index and double spaced data, what's wrong?

Post by johnny.. » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Hans,
'every' works great.

John

On 23 Oct 2000 17:33:29 GMT, Hans-Bernhard Broeker

>> Hi,
>> The  data at the end of this post is in ' file1.txt'  and plots fine
>> with the following commands:

>>                 set timefmt "%H:%M"
>>        set xdata time
>>        set format x '%H:%M'

>>        plot 'file1.txt' using 1:2  with lines

>> but...

>>  I want to select just a few using the index key word:

>> plot 'file1.txt' index 3:8 using 1:2  with lines

>For that datafile, that's the wrong direction to try and make that
>selection. Use 'every' instead.

>> So naturally, I must separate the data by a double space so that index
>> can work with it.  But when the data separated by double blank lines
>> between records, with lines plots a blank screen.

>That's because lines aren't connected from one 'index' subdataset to
>the next, nor across any other blank line in the input.
>--

>Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.

1. Don't plot missing data in a timeseries line plot

Hello,

I have timeseries data from Jan 1 - Jan 31, one observation per day.
There are 6-7 days of no data, but in a line plot of the data, gnuplot
merrily extrapolates across those days of missing data to the next day
which contains data.

I would prefer that the line plot have NO LINES across days of missing
data, and that the lines simply begin again where the data are valid.

Can this be done?

--
Andrew Loughe =====================================================

325 Broadway             |  wwweb: www-ad.fsl.noaa.gov/users/loughe
Boulder, CO  80305-3328  |  phone: 303-497-6211   fax: 303-497-6301

2. Kaufmann?

3. Help, data line's title covers data line

4. Graphic Design Site

5. What's wrong with this plot function ?

6. Ever faced this problem?

7. plotting straight lines for erfc function data points

8. colors when plotting data with lines and errorbars

9. Plotting data sets with symbols and lines

10. plot multiple lines from data points

11. how plot (x,y) data using lines with arrows

12. plot data lines