break sign on y-axis

Post by A.A.T.S. Reinder » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 18:45:46

Hello helpline,

I just started using GNUplot under SuSE Linux 6.1.

Perhaps it is a silly problem I struggle with, but I cannot figure it out on
my own...

This is my file I set up thus far:

---
set multiplot
set boxwidth .15
set xrange [0:9]
set xlabel "Values"
set yrange [2.5:4.2]
set ylabel "Z-scores"
set xtic ( "9,10" ... )
plot "I" with boxes 6
replot "II" with boxes 3
set nomultiplot
---

The Y-axis is scaled [2.5:4.2], and thats oke. But the y-axis is a straight
line, and no zero point is indicated.

What I would like to have is zero starting point, than a 'break line' to
indicate a jump in the values and than the length of the boxes as I
presented above.

I searched through the help files, but wasn't able to find the answer to my
problem.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks in advance,

Simone.

--
 A.A.T.S. Reinders

 University Hospital of Groningen
 Biological Psychiatry, Room 6.21
 Hanzeplein 1, 9713 GZ  Groningen
 P.O. Box 30001, 9700 RB Groningen
 The Netherlands

break sign on y-axis

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 22:20:40

> ---
> set multiplot
> set boxwidth .15
> set xrange [0:9]
> set xlabel "Values"
> set yrange [2.5:4.2]
> set ylabel "Z-scores"
> set xtic ( "9,10" ... )
> plot "I" with boxes 6
> replot "II" with boxes 3

It'd be better to write 'plot' here, not replot. Actually, you can probably
do away with the whole 'multiplot' stuff and the two plot statements,
and just write

        plot "I" with boxes 6 , "II" with boxes 3

instead.

Quote:> The Y-axis is scaled [2.5:4.2], and thats oke. But the y-axis is a straight
> line, and no zero point is indicated.

No, it isn't. And that's because you deliberately chost to use a
non-default yrange, to start with. Without that 'set yrange', gnuplot
would have automatically chosen a range of [0:5] or something like
that, including the zeropoint.

Quote:> What I would like to have is zero starting point, than a 'break line' to
> indicate a jump in the values and than the length of the boxes as I
> presented above.

Sorry, but gnuplot doesn't do that. 'Broken' axes aren't supported by
any existing version of gnuplot.

If you really need them, you're in for a lot of trouble and
fine-tuning.  You'ld at least have to disable the automatically drawn
left graph border and tick marks, and replace them by manually placed
tics (a long-form 'set ytics' with a complete list of the tics you
want) and a manually simulated border with the break in it ('set
arrow' commands).

break sign on y-axis

Post by Lauren Clark » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 19:33:22

The second example on this page:
> > I just started using GNUplot under SuSE Linux 6.1.

> > Perhaps it is a silly problem I struggle with, but I cannot
> > figure it out on
> > my own...

> > This is my file I set up thus far:

> > ---
> > set multiplot
> > set boxwidth .15
> > set xrange [0:9]
> > set xlabel "Values"
> > set yrange [2.5:4.2]
> > set ylabel "Z-scores"
> > set xtic ( "9,10" ... )
> > plot "I" with boxes 6
> > replot "II" with boxes 3
> > set nomultiplot
> > ---

> > The Y-axis is scaled [2.5:4.2], and thats oke. But the y-axis
> > is a straight
> > line, and no zero point is indicated.

> > What I would like to have is zero starting point, than a
> > 'break line' to
> > indicate a jump in the values and than the length of the boxes as I
> > presented above.

> > I searched through the help files, but wasn't able to find
> > the answer to my
> > problem.

> > Can someone please help me?

> First, a note about your commands.  They will work, but "multiplot" is
> overkill in this case.  To put two lines on a single plot, just string all
> the "plot" options together, but separate each set of options with a
comma:
>     plot "I" with boxes 6 , "II" with boxes 3
> (Actually all the "replot" command does is recall the previous "plot"
> command, add a comma, add the options on "replt", and then execute the
whole
> thing.)

> Now to your question.

> gnuplot has no built-in way to break an axis as you desire.  It can be
done
> in multiplot mode, but it is a bit tricky.  Essentially you'll have one
plot
> that consists only of the x-axis, xlabel and short y-axes (up to the
> break)-- "set border" lets you draw only some of the axes.  You'll have a
> second plot, shifted vertically using "set origin", that consists of the
> y-axes, ylabel (probably offset to center it), the top axis and the data.
> You'll have to play around with the margin widths (probably setting them
> zero) to get this all to come out right.  And you'll have to use "set
label"
> commands to create the symbol denoting the break in the axes.  Like I
said,
> it's a bit tricky, but it's possible.

>  - -
> [[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
> unsubscribe info-gnuplot

> ]]]]

break sign on y-axis

Post by Lauren Clark » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 19:36:06

Sorry, ignore previous. Fingers slipped.

Following* Crawford's hints, the second example on this page:

 http://www.veryComputer.com/~MultiPlot

might give you some ideas.

-lc

> > I just started using GNUplot under SuSE Linux 6.1.

> > Perhaps it is a silly problem I struggle with, but I cannot
> > figure it out on
> > my own...

> > This is my file I set up thus far:

> > ---
> > set multiplot
> > set boxwidth .15
> > set xrange [0:9]
> > set xlabel "Values"
> > set yrange [2.5:4.2]
> > set ylabel "Z-scores"
> > set xtic ( "9,10" ... )
> > plot "I" with boxes 6
> > replot "II" with boxes 3
> > set nomultiplot
> > ---

> > The Y-axis is scaled [2.5:4.2], and thats oke. But the y-axis
> > is a straight
> > line, and no zero point is indicated.

> > What I would like to have is zero starting point, than a
> > 'break line' to
> > indicate a jump in the values and than the length of the boxes as I
> > presented above.

> > I searched through the help files, but wasn't able to find
> > the answer to my
> > problem.

> > Can someone please help me?

> First, a note about your commands.  They will work, but "multiplot" is
> overkill in this case.  To put two lines on a single plot, just string all
> the "plot" options together, but separate each set of options with a
comma:
>     plot "I" with boxes 6 , "II" with boxes 3
> (Actually all the "replot" command does is recall the previous "plot"
> command, add a comma, add the options on "replt", and then execute the
whole
> thing.)

> Now to your question.

> gnuplot has no built-in way to break an axis as you desire.  It can be
done
> in multiplot mode, but it is a bit tricky.  Essentially you'll have one
plot
> that consists only of the x-axis, xlabel and short y-axes (up to the
> break)-- "set border" lets you draw only some of the axes.  You'll have a
> second plot, shifted vertically using "set origin", that consists of the
> y-axes, ylabel (probably offset to center it), the top axis and the data.
> You'll have to play around with the margin widths (probably setting them
> zero) to get this all to come out right.  And you'll have to use "set
label"
> commands to create the symbol denoting the break in the axes.  Like I
said,
> it's a bit tricky, but it's possible.

>  - -
> [[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
> unsubscribe info-gnuplot

> ]]]]

1. Signs, signs, everywhere a sign ot

A sign at a business establishment in Philadelphia, PA:
"WE WOULD RATHER DO BUSINESS WITH 1000 AL QAEDA
TERRORISTS THAN WITH A SINGLE AMERICAN".
This sign was prominently displayed in the window of a business in
Philadelphia.
You are probably outraged at the thought of such an inflammatory
statement.
One would think that anti-hate groups from all across the country
would
be marching on this business... And that the  National Guard might
have
to be called to keep the  angry crowds back. But, perhaps in these
stressful times one might be tempted to let the proprietors simply
make their
statement . . . We are a society who holds Freedom of Speech as
perhaps
our greatest liberty . . . And after all, it is just a sign.
You  may ask what kind of business would dare post such a sign?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Answer: A Funeral Home

2. Windows Version

3. Break y-axis / range ?

4. Betty Blue

5. Axis breaks

6. Delphi Games Creator (DGC)?

7. "break" axes

8. X-axis break

9. logscale yaxis power ten labels wrong

10. Multiple Yaxis ranges in one plot

11. Ques:Non linear scaling of the yaxis

12. Help! Code for finding Medial Axis (symmetric axis)