Gnuplot 3.6 Beta bug report: rotated time stamp

Gnuplot 3.6 Beta bug report: rotated time stamp

Post by John J. Ottusc » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

The time/date stamp produce by
        set time
comes out near the lower left corner of the graph instead of the upper
right and it's rotated by 90 degrees so that it's oriented vertically
rather than horizontally.

I observe this with Gnuplot 3.6 Beta (patchlevel 315) running under Windows
NT and with Gnuplot 3.6 Beta (patchlevel 325) running on a Sun workstation.
 In the Windows case it shows up on the on-screen plot and in the Sun
workstation case it shows up in printout to a Postscript printer.

This is not how Gnuplot 3.5 behaves and it is not the behaviour prescribed
by the Beta 3.6 manual.

J. J. Ottusch

Gnuplot 3.6 Beta bug report: rotated time stamp

Post by David Denho » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> The time/date stamp produce by
>    set time
> comes out near the lower left corner of the graph instead of the upper
> right and it's rotated by 90 degrees so that it's oriented vertically
> rather than horizontally.
> I observe this with Gnuplot 3.6 Beta (patchlevel 315) running under Windows
> NT and with Gnuplot 3.6 Beta (patchlevel 325) running on a Sun workstation.
>  In the Windows case it shows up on the on-screen plot and in the Sun
> workstation case it shows up in printout to a Postscript printer.
> This is not how Gnuplot 3.5 behaves and it is not the behaviour prescribed
> by the Beta 3.6 manual.

Hmm - the code is explicitly placing it at the bottom left corner,
and rotating it if possible (ie if the terminal driver supports it).
So it looks like it was a feature change that didn't make it into the
manual, rather than a bug...?

dd
--

Tel +44 (0)1494 453376 (work)    +44 (0)1494 459742  (home)

Post by John J. Ottusc » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > The time/date stamp produce by
> >       set time
> > comes out near the lower left corner of the graph instead of the upper
> > right and it's rotated by 90 degrees so that it's oriented vertically
> > rather than horizontally.

> > I observe this with Gnuplot 3.6 Beta (patchlevel 315) running under
Windows
> > NT and with Gnuplot 3.6 Beta (patchlevel 325) running on a Sun
workstation.
> >  In the Windows case it shows up on the on-screen plot and in the Sun
> > workstation case it shows up in printout to a Postscript printer.

> > This is not how Gnuplot 3.5 behaves and it is not the behaviour
prescribed
> > by the Beta 3.6 manual.

> Hmm - the code is explicitly placing it at the bottom left corner,
> and rotating it if possible (ie if the terminal driver supports it).
> So it looks like it was a feature change that didn't make it into the
> manual, rather than a bug...?

An "interesting" point of view.  It's hard to argue that a bug isn't really
a new feature. I rather doubt it in this case.  Orienting the time stamp
vertically rather than horizontally makes it less readable and that
partially defeats its purpose.

I haven't studied the code to any significant degree, but from my cursory
inspection I surmise that the actual insertion of the time/date stamp is
done in 'graphics.c' in the paragraph following the comment
        /* PLACE TIMEDATE */
If you know how to modify this small section (or any other part of the
code) to achieve the correct behaviour, please e-mail me or post a message
explaining how to do it.  If this is in fact a new "feature", it's not one
that I want and I'd like to restore my local copy to the original
behaviour.

J. J. Ottusch

1. Gnuplot 3.6 Beta bug report: rotated time stam

On the other hand, to me the word "bug" implies an error -- something that
isn't working correctly.  Something that merely works differently than in
a previous version of the code might be considered an "improvement" :-)

I agree that the manual description is wrong -- I've already corrected it
(but, of course, in my working copy of the manual, so the correction won't
be seen by anyone but me for a while).

The most reasonable (IMHO, of course) solution is to make rotation of the
time/date stamp an option.  Not long ago I added such an option for the
tic labels -- presumably I can do the same thing with the stamp.  Then we
can discuss whether the default should be horizontal or vertical...

2. A problem with the parser???

3. Bugs in Gnuplot 3.6 beta Version patchlevel 334

4. How to transfer IBM graphics to Mac format?

5. linux bug (?) (3.6 beta 311)

6. glTexImage and MM

7. Gnuplot 3.6 beta 249 failing over 1998/1999 boundry

8. Normal generation for 1D Evaluators

9. gnuplot beta 3.6

10. gnuplot 3.6 beta, label rotation in postscript

11. pre 3.6 gnuplot, patchlevel beta 319

12. Including GIF support in gnuplot 3.6 beta

13. gnuplot 3.6 beta version installation