epslatex: why different symbols?

Post by Daniel Bar » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:58:49

Hi
finally I learned how to produce plots which use*to typset text,
and can be used with pdflatex as well: epslatex (the .eps output is
epstopdf-ed, and the .tex output is included into the*document).
Does anybody have some idea, why epslatex uses different symbols than
pslatex or  the postscript terminals (if it also produces the plot in
eps format)?
I am missing the triangles, and the symbols come in different order:
I wouldn't like to memorize the symbol codes for each particular
terminal.

Thanks
Daniel

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:03:50

> Does anybody have some idea, why epslatex uses different symbols than
> pslatex or  the postscript terminals (if it also produces the plot in
> eps format)?

There's no particular reason --- it just does it that way because
that's what its author programmed it like.

Quote:> I am missing the triangles, and the symbols come in different order:
> I wouldn't like to memorize the symbol codes for each particular
> terminal.

You don't have to memorize them.  You can print out a demo page to show them:

        test

epslatex: why different symbols?

Post by Petr Mikuli » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 04:33:36

Quote:> Does anybody have some idea, why epslatex uses different symbols than
> pslatex or  the postscript terminals (if it also produces the plot in
> eps format)?

You can contribute a patch that unifies all these postscript-like terminals.
You are welcome to join the gnuplot-beta list of the gnuplot development.

***     Laboratory of Thin Films and Nanostructures
***     Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
***  http://www.sci.muni.cz/~mikulik/

1. Preprocessor symbols for different SL compilers?

Moin!

Does a scheme exist by which shader writers can detect which Shading
Language compiler is run on their code? I seem to remember that BMRT's
'slc' #define's a symbol 'BMRT'. How about PRMan and RDC?

Does it seem reasonable to specify a preprocessor symbol to hold the id
of the compiler/renderer used (like #define SL_COMPILER BMRT/PRMAN/RDC)
so that other implementors can comply with and take advantage of that
scheme?

I know that the SL is assumed to be portable. Thus, in theory, we don't
need that. Nevertheless, occasionally the need seems to exist for the
shader writer to know what's going on (area lights and the usability of
'trace()' are examples).

Regards

2. Three question

3. Key with different sample to plotted symbol?

4. Wacom ArtPad II: Does the size matter?

5. different *point*,*vector*,*normal* "why"

6. PR: NewTek Announces LightWave 3D 5.6

7. Why is VIDEO different on Quadra???

8. I just want to be able to compile and run correctly, how ?

9. Summary: Why different costs via Unisys and CompuServe

10. Why the different resolution?

11. Why are my graphics so different on........

12. Why different color pixels in solid color background?

13. Same image...different colours...why?