Slow plots

Post by Fernando Sales-May » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:36:49

Hello... I'd like to ask you how to plot a datafile slowly; I've got a
trajectory to plot and I'd like that gnuplot plots it slowly, so as to see
how it goes from the beginning to the end. If this is possible... is it
also possible that the trajectory "doesn't leave a track"? (I mean, that
only the leading dot of the trajectory is displayed while the trajectory
is in the process of being plotted, so as to see like only one dot moving,
from the beginning to the end of the plotting).

Thank you very much for your help,

Fernando

 - -
[[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
unsubscribe info-gnuplot

]]]]

Slow plots

Post by Ethan Merri » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:51:11

>Hello... I'd like to ask you how to plot a datafile slowly; I've got a
>trajectory to plot and I'd like that gnuplot plots it slowly, so as to see
>how it goes from the beginning to the end. If this is possible... is it
>also possible that the trajectory "doesn't leave a track"? (I mean, that
>only the leading dot of the trajectory is displayed while the trajectory
>is in the process of being plotted, so as to see like only one dot moving,
>from the beginning to the end of the plotting).

Sort of. You need to pre-define the X and Y axis ranges, and then put
gnuplot into a loop reading one additional point each time.

        set xrange [0:1000]
        set yrange [0:<something>]
        point = 1
        load 'loop'
        pause -1 "All done!"

where the file 'loop' contains something like

        point = point + 1
        plot "file.dat" using ($0 < point ? $1 : 1/0) with linespoints
        if (point < 1000) reread

This will plot the file 1000 times, each time including one
additional point.

You may or may not be able to adjust the timing by putting a pause
statement at the start of the 'loop' file.

--
Ethan A Merritt

Slow plots

Post by mat.. » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:02:19

Hi!

I'm not sure that example below is what just you want.
The key commands are 'load', 'reread' and 'every'.
Please see gnuplot's help for details.

Usage: Prepare "parab.plt" and "parabone.plt", and execute as

  gnuplot parab.plt

### parab.plt ###
set term table
set out 'parab.dat'
plot [0:1] 1-4*(x-0.5)**2
set out
set term x11
i=1
j=0
load "parabone.plt"

### parabone.plt ###
interval=1000
if (j == 0) plot [0:1][0:1] "parab.dat" every 1:1:i:0:i:0
if (i < 100 && j == 0) i=i+1
if (i == 100) exit
j = (j < interval) ? j+1: 0 ; reread

If you use developer's version 3.8j, "parabone.plt" turns simple.

### parabone.plt (using 3.8j) ###
interval=0.05
plot [0:1][0:1] "parab.dat" every 1:1:i:0:i:0
if (i <100) i=i+1; pause interval; reread
exit

>Hello... I'd like to ask you how to plot a datafile slowly; I've got a
>trajectory to plot and I'd like that gnuplot plots it slowly, so as to see
>how it goes from the beginning to the end. If this is possible... is it
>also possible that the trajectory "doesn't leave a track"? (I mean, that
>only the leading dot of the trajectory is displayed while the trajectory
>is in the process of being plotted, so as to see like only one dot moving,
>from the beginning to the end of the plotting).

>Thank you very much for your help,

>Fernando

> - -
>[[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
>unsubscribe info-gnuplot

>]]]]

Good luck!

 - -
[[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
unsubscribe info-gnuplot

]]]]

1. Newbie: Gimp runs slow, text looks bad, plot is slow to print

Hello,

I am trying to make some gimp plots for the first time, and have run in to
a couple of problems that I would really appreciate help with.

1) Gimp runs slowly, taking up to 10 seconds to execute a command such as
moving a selection. I am running it on Redhat linux.  How can I speed it
up?  Perhaps there are some options I can turn off?

2)  The text I put on the plot looks "broken" or poor when printed,
especially in courier italic font.  Any suggestions on fonts that will
look OK when saved to a .ps file?

3) The size of the .ps files gimp generates are very large.  For example,
if I open plot1.eps in gimp, which has size 35158, edit it moderately by
adding text and drawing lines via gfig, and save it to plot2.eps, its
size is 26946001.  How can I keep the files small?

Thanks for any help you can give.  For what is worth, if I convert my .eps
file to a .gif and then open that in gimp, gimp runs faster, the image
looks a lot better, and the output file is smaller.

Kate

2. Spnning globe

3. Illustrator 9 Slow Slow Slow

4. WTB Pagemaker 6.5 Win

5. slow, slow, slow

6. Level of Detail from stl, wrl or iv File

7. canvas->pixel is slow slow slow...

8. Need tool to convert HPGL to POSTSCRIPT

9. JPEG + DELPHI = sloooow, slow slow slow

10. System getting slower and slower

11. Pixel Plot to Line Plot algorithm.

12. 3-D mesh plotting,surface plots ?....

13. plotting "frequency plots"