Change Terminal Options

Post by Gerald I Kerle » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Gnuplot uses numbers to identify colors and symbols for plotting
curves. And each terminal option uses a different numbering
system. Is there a way to change these defaults?

The reason I am asking is that I would like to be able to use the
same command file for different terminal options. That way, I can
check out the appearance of a plot on Windows and then generate
an eps file for importing into a document.

Thanks in advance for all help.--Jerry Kerley

--
Gerald I. Kerley, technical consultant
Kerley Publishing Services, Albuquerque, NM

Change Terminal Options

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broek » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Gnuplot uses numbers to identify colors and symbols for plotting
> curves. And each terminal option uses a different numbering
> system. Is there a way to change these defaults?

No, unless you're willing to get down to modifying the sources that
is. For colours, we've already unified most if it, in the upcoming
3.7.1. For the point symbols, that's a whole lot more complicated,
because there is not really a big enough set of point symbols common
to all the drivers, to begin with.

Quote:> The reason I am asking is that I would like to be able to use the
> same command file for different terminal options.

That's not really the problem... the outptut will be slightly
different, sure, but you will 'be able to use the same command file'
in any gnuplot implementation. That's about the most fundamental
design decision that ever went into gnuplot, and separates it from
other, similar programs: no matter what else happens, you can always
'save' a plot in one gnuplot session, and 'load' it to another of the
same version level, but on a totally different platform and expect
sensible output, within the limits of what the terminals allow us to
do.

Quote:> That way, I can
> check out the appearance of a plot on Windows and then generate
> an eps file for importing into a document.

For that, it's probably easier to use an eps previewer (ghostscript
with gsview) and fine-tune the eps plot directly.

1. png terminal and color options...

I saw a posting in which someone said they had the following command:
set terminal png small color x000000 xffffff xffffff xff0000 x00ff00
xffff00  xff9933

My question is, how can this work.  I tried using gnuplot 3.7.1 and I go
an error message :

expecting: {small, medium, large}, or {monochrome, gray, color}

did I miss something.  I'm trying to find a way to force gnuplot to use
brighter colors as is the case with gif's.

--
Gabriel Bolano
(408) 276-1404

2. Trade SGI for Alias/Wavefront/Softimage

3. Gnuplot3.7 and LaTex terminal option

4. lllll DON'T READ THIS llllll

5. "a4" option for post terminal

6. Lightwave 5.5 and 6.0 problems...

7. Installing with the PBM terminal option

8. SoState error

9. changing the color of some text with postscript terminal

10. Changing colors with non x11 terminals

11. Changing font size in fig terminal?

12. Ques rephrased: Changing folder Options/File Type views?

13. How can I change JPEG saving option?