graph fitting

Post by mrrse.. » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I have gnuplot 3.5 for windows and it works great but the only problem is that
it doesn't do any fitting of distributions like landau and gaussian
distributions which is essential for my physics pracs. We have been provided
with a workable program (?) written in true basic of all things this is messy
and it takes ages to get a low chi squared - you have to go out of the program
and rerun it with different parameters until you finally get a good chi
squared for the peak you are looking at ( there are about 4 peaks per graph
and there are about 20 graphs :-( ).

So I was wondering if anybody knew of a program that fits distributions or
simply fits splines to lines of data that I have. Any ftp sites would be great.

Your assistance in this desperate matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Sean.

graph fitting

Post by crawford richa » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I have gnuplot 3.5 for windows and it works great but the only problem is that
> it doesn't do any fitting of distributions like landau and gaussian
> distributions which is essential for my physics pracs. We have been provided
> with a workable program (?) written in true basic of all things this is messy
> and it takes ages to get a low chi squared - you have to go out of the program
> and rerun it with different parameters until you finally get a good chi
> squared for the peak you are looking at ( there are about 4 peaks per graph
> and there are about 20 graphs :-( ).

> So I was wondering if anybody knew of a program that fits distributions or
> simply fits splines to lines of data that I have. Any ftp sites would be great.

> Your assistance in this desperate matter would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanx
> Sean.

There is always gnuplot 3.6...  It has general non-linear least-square
fitting built-in, along with a bunch of other nifty things.

It's available via anonymous ftp at cmpc1.phys.soton.ac.uk.

Enjoy,

1. pro Fit 5.1.1 -- scientific graphing for Macintosh

We have just released version 5.1.1 of pro Fit. pro Fit is an application
for analyzing scientific data and mathematical functions, for curve
fitting and for graphing on the Macintosh.

Version 5.1.1 adds some new features and fixes various bugs.

For more information and for downloading the new version, visit

                      <http://www.quansoft.com/>.

On our web site, you will also find a our non-commercial trial version.

QuantumSoft

2. Povray: open Box and translate

3. HELP NEEDED FOR GAMMA FIT (graph/stat package)

4. Filename Changes to 8 Characters

5. Graph Curve Fitting

6. Vis. C or C++

7. best fit line for graph with many plots

8. Template for Avery #5199 (VHS edge labels)

9. Plotting a fit into same graph

10. Fit parameters on the graph

11. printing the results of fit on a graph

12. Beizer curve fitting/ B-spline Fitting

13. Gimp FITS violates FITS standard.