to plot a binary-format data via gnuplot

to plot a binary-format data via gnuplot

Post by <dah.. » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:29:39

Hi,

I am trying to plot a binary-format data by using GNUPlot.
But I can't find clear information in the manual of GNUPlot.
I don't know if any one have the same experience like mine?
Please share your experiences.

The format in my binary-format file is like
name+time+elem(1)+elem(2)+elem(3)+elem(4)+elem(5)+elem(6)
in which
"name" is a 4-bytes characters,
"time" is a 8-bytes integer and
"elem(x)" is 4-bytes floats.

A single file can contain large records of different "names" and different
"times".
Each record is 36 bytes in length.
And I want to plot "time"-vs-"elem(x)" charts for each "name" records.

Thanks!

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:31:00

> I am trying to plot a binary-format data by using GNUPlot.

gnuplot currently supports no 2D plotting of binary datafiles at all.
It's as sad and simple as that.

Quote:> But I can't find clear information in the manual of GNUPlot.

See "help datafile binary".  That describes exactly what support there
is for binary data.  If it's not mentioned there, it doesn't exist.

Quote:> And I want to plot "time"-vs-"elem(x)" charts for each "name" records.

Then you'll have to write a filtering program that splits the file and
converts it to ASCII for presentation to gnuplot.  Or wait for the
still-not-quite-ready gnuplot library that probably will support
direct passing of binary data from your application into gnuplot.

1. Plotting Binary Data with gnuplot ?

Hi!
I want to visualize Binary Data (2-dimensional) with gnuplot without
converting the Data-File into an ASCII File. It is possible?
If it is - what I got to do?
        Many Thanks
                Tp

2. 3D Graphics Programming wiht OpenGL

3. Plotting a raw binary file with GNUplot

4. Toy Story Inside Jokes...

5. Binary data plot files

6. Free IPAS

7. 3d plot using binary data

8. 3d plot using binary data (fwd)

9. plotting from binary data files

10. Binary data formats

11. Converting bitmap hex data to binary format (with email addresses)

12. Converting bitmap hex data to binary format