Angled text

Post by ian_par.. » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I have a need to draw many lines on one plot. On some of these lines I need to
put a label saying what that line represents. As far as I read the manual we
only get horizontal and vertical text placement. Is that true or is there some
other way? I also need to read the x,y points and the text to label with from a
data file, as I do not know the text until the generating program has produced
the lines and the labels.

Ian Parker

Angled text

Post by crawford richa » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I have a need to draw many lines on one plot. On some of these lines I need to
> put a label saying what that line represents. As far as I read the manual we
> only get horizontal and vertical text placement. Is that true or is there some
> other way? ...

That is true.  In gnuplot 3.6, labels, tic labels, and the ylabel can be written
vertically (by those terminals that can do so, of course) or horizontally, but
not at an arbitrary angle.  gnuplot 3.5 can only rotate the ylabel.  If you are
using the postscript terminal, you could easily edit the .ps file to rotate
text to any angle you want.

Quote:>      ... I also need to read the x,y points and the text to label with from a
> data file, as I do not know the text until the generating program has produced
> the lines and the labels.

gnuplot has no way to read text from a file.  When I've needed to do something
like this, I've written a preprocessor that reads the file and writes the
appropriate gnuplot commands to a file that I then "load" into gnuplot.

Sorry these answers aren't more positive ...

1. Text at right angles

One of the handy things I've been able to do with help from PSP 6 is
to make maps of walks I've completed. (I use a program called GPS
Utility to download track data captured during the walk with my Garmin
GPS 12. In GPSU I calibrate it with an 'area map' prepared earlier
using downloaded Ordnance Survey maps from streetmap.co.uk, then edit
and print the result in PSP. A typical example, albeit about 350 Kb,
is at
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Walks/SpotDog5Sep01.gif)

To add items of vertical text (such as those two on the right hand
side of the exampe), I use Rotate > Right > 90 deg directly after
placing the text. But I found that if that placed it in the 'hatched'
area outside the image then I could not move it. Providing *some* of
the floating text was inside the image, then I could move it to the
desired place. No great problem, but is there a cleverer way to do
this please?

Terry, West Sussex, UK

2. Gif Animation, needs help

3. Graphical text and angle

4. Bezier surfaces

5. Turbo C and text at an angle ?

6. looking to hire a graphics artist to enhance - animate 2D files to 3D for part of presentation

7. Drawing Text at an angle WITH a character underlined

8. How long can this newsgroup last?

9. Print Text at Angles

10. Tiling Text at 45 degree Angle?

11. SnappyLine -- Draw Lines with Text Label at Any Angle

12. writing text at an angle