copyright/license

Post by C » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:50:43

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I wondered if there was any
progress/intention to try and find the original gnuplot authors and
ask for their permission to distribute gnuplot under GPL or some other
open source license that doesn't carry the restrictions of the current
setup.  I didn't seen anything recent when I searched, and I wondered
if this was deemed/found to be no longer possible?

CY

(note - I don't check the above email address anymore - it has been
spammed under, so to speak.)

copyright/license

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:06:44

> Sorry if this is a silly question, but I wondered if there was any
> progress/intention to try and find the original gnuplot authors and
> ask for their permission to distribute gnuplot under GPL or some other
> open source license that doesn't carry the restrictions of the current
> setup.

It has been tried quite a while ago (for version 3.7.1, IIRC), and the
answer was a rather strict "no" regarding GPL.

copyright/license

Post by C » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:13:20

> It has been tried quite a while ago (for version 3.7.1, IIRC), and the
> answer was a rather strict "no" regarding GPL.

Did they say why?  Is there no other license that might meet with
their requirements and not place such odd restrictions?

1. Need Desktop Publishing Copyright/Licensing Info

I'm looking for information on licensing and copyrighting images (illustration
and graphic design, not photo) relating to desktop publishing for an article.
The issue is the digital dilemma: who owns the image? A lot of computer artists
sell their work to a client, who then manipulates the image past what the
artist was paid for, and resells it as a different image, thus making more
money than what the orginal artist was paid. And so on - you can imagine
all the scenerios.

I was wondering if any of you have had that experience, or know anyone who
has? Or, if you haven't had this problem, have you been thinking about it?
What are the precautions computer artists should take to prevent rip offs?

If you have any information about this, or are a DTP business that has
been thinking about these issues (or know someone in the field), please
contact me at the email address below. Thanks.

--
Hilary Lane
Netwise, Inc., Boulder, Colorado

2. how to read frame rate from Max 2.5?

3. Lucasfilm copyright / licensing of 3D models question...

4. D3DXMesh - Matching textures to attribute table.

5. License or copyright of graphics file formats

6. HELP! KAI Power Tools, Page curl filter

7. Multiplot in 3.6 beta 261 (OS/2 version)

8. License and Copyright requirements for textures

9. looking for license.exe or license.key

10. copyright music