data on one plot w./ 2 scales

Post by Juergen J. Zac » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:11:51

Hi,
  I have two sets of data from a file which I would like to display via
the using 1:2 "%lf%lf ..." option, whereas I would like to use different
y-axes. The 'axes x1y2' option doesn't work, I'm still using version 3.5,
though. Any ideas?
-Juergen

data on one plot w./ 2 scales

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:01:45

Quote:> Hi,
>   I have two sets of data from a file which I would like to display via
> the using 1:2 "%lf%lf ..."

For an application as simple as this, I think you don't really need a
format string (i.e. the "%lf%lf ..." is superfluous).

Quote:> option, whereas I would like to use different
> y-axes. The 'axes x1y2' option doesn't work, I'm still using version 3.5,
> though. Any ideas?

Well, isn't it obvious? Upgrade to 3.7.1.

1. plotting 2 timeseries data files on one plot with pre3.6/pl273

I'm using gnuplot pre 3.6/pl 273 to plot 2 data files containing
time series data on the same plot.  Both data files have a simple
2 column format - column 1 has the date as mm/dd/yy, and column 2
has a value as n.nnn.

I would like only the y axis marked for the first data file, and
only the y2 axis marked for the second data file (the x data is
identical in both files.)  I tried the following:

 set xdata time
 set timefmt "%m/%d/%y"
 set ytics nomirror
 set y2tics
 plot "t1.dat" using 1:2 with linespoint, second, \
  "t2.dat" using 1:2 with linespoint

The plot axes are marked perfectly, but only the first data file
is plotted correctly.  The second plot is incorrectly drawn as
a vertical line right in the middle, with the following error
message: Warning: empty x range [1:1], adjusting to [0.9:1.1]

Here is some sample data that produces the above error:
t1.dat                  t2.dat
1/15/95 38.000          1/15/95 3.000
1/16/95 37.375          1/16/95 4.375
1/17/95 36.938          1/17/95 5.938
1/18/95 36.750          1/18/95 6.750
1/19/95 37.250          1/19/95 7.250

Note that the second plot is drawn correctly if I change the
xdata to plain data instead of time.  Clues anyone ?
--

Goldman, Sachs & Co. [NYP/46]    Phone: +1 212 357 1346

2. IPAS - HELP!

3. plotting multiple graph from nultiple data set within one data file

4. ***JOB: COMPUTER SCIENTIST - ADOBE DIMENSIONS, ADOBE SYSTEMS, INC.***

5. Plotting two scale styles in one diagram??

6. Global Search & Replace

7. Plotting 2d data - auto scaling y axis

8. OpenGL and XFree 4.0.1(Linux)

9. plot data (2d) with a fixed scale

10. multiple plots from one data file

11. Data on one plot with 2 x-axes

12. plotting two files in one plot?

13. Don't plot missing data in a timeseries line plot