set key below doesn't produce anything in epslatex

set key below doesn't produce anything in epslatex

Post by Lars Weissfl » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:08:28

Hi List, after trying out the vast capabilites of gnuplot (GREAT!), I
finally have come to a halt: I have two problems now:
1.)
I prepare graphics that include*commands in the "title" section
of the plot command. Example:
--- snip ---
plot [t=0:5] p_sand(I_sand(t)) title "Korzhavin-Sanderson,
\\small\{Eqn. (\\ref{eq:korz-sanderson})\}" w lp lt 1 pt 1 ps 1, \
... next graph ...
--- snap ---

this produces the plots and labels I want in my LaTeX/DVI/PDF-File. No
Problem. BUT:
Obviously, gnuplot determins the length of the whit background inside
the plot by the length the label uses in an x11-term (i.e. on the
screen the full TeX-syntax is displayed since x11-term doesn't know
how to set TeX-text). What I get then in the DVI (produced by*
after inserting the .eps file and typesetting the TeX-based labels) is
a white space that extends further to the right than the TeX-formated
label. Thus the grid is incomplete in this area, though the graphs
themselves are plottet obviously "above" the white label-area. In some
plots this is not a problem, but in others where the label is quite
short but the grid should be available to evaluate the graph, it is a
problem.
Thus, I wanted gnuplot to put the label (key) below the plot.

2.)
And this leads us to the second problem:
I used:

set key below

this works in the x11-term, but in the epslatex-term the labels are
missing completely. If I use:

set key outside

I get a plot that is scrambled through: the eps-Part is small,
shrinked to the left side of the plot area and the labels are printed
in the same region, i.e. directly into the plot. Unusable.

Could anyone give me a hint what I've missed?

Thanks a lot!

Lars

set key below doesn't produce anything in epslatex

Post by Lars Weissfl » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:33:33

A little addendum to my first post:
Now I'm up with the work again and had a look into the TeX-file
produced by epslatex. There are only those commands for the
axis-labels, but nothing for the key contents. What's this?

Lars

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:15:30

> --- snip ---
> plot [t=0:5] p_sand(I_sand(t)) title "Korzhavin-Sanderson,
> \\small\{Eqn. (\\ref{eq:korz-sanderson})\}" w lp lt 1 pt 1 ps 1, \
> ... next graph ...
> --- snap ---

One comment: it'd be easier to type if you used single quotes, like this:

plot [t=0:5] p_sand(I_sand(t)) \
  title 'Korzhavin-Sanderson, \small{Eqn. (\ref{eq:korz-sanderson})}' \
   w lp lt 1 pt 1 ps 1, \

Quote:> Obviously, gnuplot determins the length of the whit background inside
> the plot by the length the label uses in an x11-term (i.e. on the
> screen the full TeX-syntax is displayed since x11-term doesn't know
> how to set TeX-text).

It's not really the length used by X11 that governs this, but rather
the number of characters used in the key string.  gnuplot doesn't
understand LaTeX, so it cannot possibly know the actual size of this
string on output.

You should check out the 'width' option to 'set key' introduced for
exactly this reason.

Quote:> set key below
> this works in the x11-term, but in the epslatex-term the labels are
> missing completely.

I have to guess: you used 'set key Left' before, since you talked
about the additional white space avoided by the grid was to the right
of the key, instead of the the left as it usually would be.

You may try to get rid of that setting for 'set key below' mode, i.e.

        set key below Right noreverse

If these suggestions don't help you yet, you'll have to show a
complete reproducible example case here.

1. ImageMagick - doesn't produce labels?

Hi.  I'm using ImageMagick 4.0.7 (98/07/01) under
Linux 2.0.27.  The tools seem to be working fine
except for one perplexing problem - the 'montage'
program does not produce labels for each reduced
image within the composite image.  By default
each separate component image should have an
associated label with the name of that file, but
there are no such labels; just the bare images.
Use of the explicit -label option has no effect.

Can anyone tell me how I can force 'montage' to
produce labels?

Thanks,

Brad Rosser

2. got a question about video cards? Check here first!

3. Adobe Gamma Loader doesn't do anything

4. Blending modes and such

5. Does Elements have anything CS doesn't?

6. plug-in??...

7. Particle interaction doesn't do anything?

8. Stealth Drivers?

9. PS Lite Mac doesn't render anything or too much

10. SoSwitch doesn't inherit anything

11. 'set key' acting funny

12. Setting a Form's palette doesn't seem to do anything...