Depthmattes and Alias

Post by h.. » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I know, too, that an underwater effect can be created with Global Fog, but
>here's the thing: It just doesn't do it for me, you know?  The effect is
>far from realistic, and I am at the mercy of people who want it
>realistic.  The 3D Studio way does in fact produce better results than the
>Alias way, so can anyone figure out how it could be done in Alias the 3d
>Studio way?  I can't!

The global fog generally works quite well for me. The only problem I have
with it is that there isn't any control for the fall-off rate. There's
another way to simulate fog: layer everything in your scene with a
lightsource shader with its transparency mapped to a planar projection
mapping of a white-to-grey ramp. Group the projection placement icon with
the camera components and transform it so that the ramp direction points
away from the camera, and is large enough to cover the full depth of your
entire scene. You can get pretty good control over the fog fall-off with
the ramp value placements. But with this method you can only simulate
camera-space z-axis fall-off, not radial fall-off. It would be nice if we
could do radial projection mapping in the future.