particle events and killing particles?

Post by Ludvig Tune » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:11:55

Hi,

First of all:
How can I kill a particle with an expression or mel-script?

Second:
How can I kill a particle on a specific collision?

I have a scene with a particle object that collide with several surfaces. I
want my particles to just bounce off two of the surfaces and then die on
collision with the third. The only way I have found to do it is to write an
event procedure, check for the correct name of the collision surface and
then set the lifespanPP to zero on the colliding particle. But this is a
very involved way to do a thing that should be very simple. Have I missed
something or is this the way to go?
There should be a way to specify for which surfaces an event should apply.

Here is the procedure I wrote, and it works, but I really would like to find
a simpler way to do it.

global proc dieProc(string $particleName, int $particleId, string
$objectName) {
    if(strip($objectName) == "nurbsPlane2") {
        particle -e -id $particleId -attribute lifespanPP -fv 0 particle1;
    }

Quote:}

regards
Ludde
--
_________________________
Ludvig Tunel

Remove NO_ and _SPAM from mail address to mail me
_________________________

particle events and killing particles?

Post by Visual » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:51:59

Hey Ludde-

I wanted to do the same thing, and I think that's exactly how I ended up doing
it.

JP

1. Adv. Particle Question-particles emiting particles

Hello all,
Is it possible in Max2.5 for particles to emit other particles.
Specifically, lets say you use PBomb to explode a mesh (instead of Bomb
so you can use deflection, etc.), can the mesh faces, which are
technically "particles" emit another particle system such as smoke.  I
recall reading something about spawning but I am not sure if this would
be the way to do it.  I am specifically thinking about how in Alias, you
can explode a mesh and have the faces emit smoke but still be affected
by environmental variables such as wind, deflection, etc. because
essentially a "particle" is linked to each surface that allows it to
deflect etc., but the mesh face itself, which is not technically a
particle, emits the smoke system.  Maybe it is just terminology but do
you see the difference?  How do you do this in Max?

2. how can I start backburner services minimized?

3. Particles, particles particles

4. Planet Icon graphics need?

5. Particles are KILLING ME

6. Was: Geometry not rendering

7. script to kill particles that fall below -20 Ytranslate

8. HDO & Stardust Entertainment

9. cebas thinking particles vs. digimation particle studio

10. Particle Storm - how to reflect particles

11. Particle Storm - constraining particles

12. Particle plug-ins: Sparks or Particle Storm?

13. Could particle instancer inherit particle's rgbPP?