2000 vs NT4

Post by NastyButl » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:07:36

Is it worth switching all the computers in the office to Win2000 to use
Maya 3?  Is 2000 really that much more stable than NT4?

Thanks for your reply,
NB

2000 vs NT4

Post by Plisske » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 01:58:56

>Is it worth switching all the computers in the office to Win2000 to use
>Maya 3?  Is 2000 really that much more stable than NT4?

>Thanks for your reply,
>NB

I wouldn't switch for stability purposes.  I would switch for other
reasons.  I haven't worked with anyone that has ever said "I LOVE
2000, it's so much more stable than NT!"

Don't get me wrong, compared to 95 or 98, it's a very stable OS.  I'd
say it's as stable as NT4 SP3.  It's close to as stable as NT4 sp4,
but not quite.

All that said, I still prefer 2000.  Why?  It's a fairly stable OS
that can run almost any application, including D3D apps and the
occasional game.  Pretty much anything you buy now that's made to run
in 95/98/ME will run in 2000, that's not true with NT.  It's also
easier/more intuitive to configure and set up.  I've been running it
since it was early beta -almost two years-  and have never looked
back.  It runs Maya really well, and I really like the OS.

Plissken

2000 vs NT4

Post by Miste » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 04:49:13

Win2k isn't nearly as stable as NT4 and the video card drivers are often a
complete mess. Stick with NT for another year then upgrade, it usually takes
about two years for a windows operating system to become fully functional.

The reasons for upgrading to win2k is you no longer need win98 installed to
run diretx apps.  However directx apps run much with much less problems in
win98, so I still prefer a dual boot setup.

-M

Quote:> Is it worth switching all the computers in the office to Win2000 to use
> Maya 3?  Is 2000 really that much more stable than NT4?

> Thanks for your reply,
> NB

2000 vs NT4

Post by Bart Dabe » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:42:21

What ever man w2k rules I have been using it for 2 years now and it's so
much better then NT4 just as stable but it won't bug you to reboot anytime
you change anything...

> >Is it worth switching all the computers in the office to Win2000 to use
> >Maya 3?  Is 2000 really that much more stable than NT4?

> >Thanks for your reply,
> >NB

> I wouldn't switch for stability purposes.  I would switch for other
> reasons.  I haven't worked with anyone that has ever said "I LOVE
> 2000, it's so much more stable than NT!"

> Don't get me wrong, compared to 95 or 98, it's a very stable OS.  I'd
> say it's as stable as NT4 SP3.  It's close to as stable as NT4 sp4,
> but not quite.

> All that said, I still prefer 2000.  Why?  It's a fairly stable OS
> that can run almost any application, including D3D apps and the
> occasional game.  Pretty much anything you buy now that's made to run
> in 95/98/ME will run in 2000, that's not true with NT.  It's also
> easier/more intuitive to configure and set up.  I've been running it
> since it was early beta -almost two years-  and have never looked
> back.  It runs Maya really well, and I really like the OS.

> Plissken

2000 vs NT4

Post by Plisske » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:11:14

Quote:>What ever man w2k rules I have been using it for 2 years now and it's so
>much better then NT4 just as stable but it won't bug you to reboot anytime
>you change anything...

What did I say?  Did you bother reading my post?  I said that I prefer
2000.

But your "w2k rules" statement really told me.  I feel stupid now.

Plissken

2000 vs NT4

Post by dwgreg » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 01:02:17

My Dell systems running Win2000 or NT seem about equally stable.  I have very
few problems with either.

> Win2k isn't nearly as stable as NT4 and the video card drivers are often a
> complete mess. Stick with NT for another year then upgrade, it usually takes
> about two years for a windows operating system to become fully functional.

> The reasons for upgrading to win2k is you no longer need win98 installed to
> run diretx apps.  However directx apps run much with much less problems in
> win98, so I still prefer a dual boot setup.

> -M

> > Is it worth switching all the computers in the office to Win2000 to use
> > Maya 3?  Is 2000 really that much more stable than NT4?

> > Thanks for your reply,
> > NB

2000 vs NT4

Post by Bart Dabe » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 04:02:02

Sorry no offence I guess I just mis read your message

> >What ever man w2k rules I have been using it for 2 years now and it's so
> >much better then NT4 just as stable but it won't bug you to reboot
anytime
> >you change anything...

> What did I say?  Did you bother reading my post?  I said that I prefer
> 2000.

> But your "w2k rules" statement really told me.  I feel stupid now.

> Plissken

2000 vs NT4

Post by Plisske » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 02:44:50

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:02:02 -0800, "Bart Dabek"

>Sorry no offence I guess I just mis read your message

I'm sorry right back atcha.  I was feeling a little menstrual last
night or something.  You're right, it's a very stable OS, and it's all
I use.

I was just letting the poster know that switching for stability isn't
the best reason.  It's usually for ease of use and added
functionality.

Plissken

1. Targa 2000 vs MAX vs PVR

I am about to buy a Video capture card that is to be used for both
Playing back animations created in 3d Studio and to create videos
through a program like adobe premire.  I've narrowed it down to the
Targa 2000, Matrox Animation Express or Matrox Studio and the
Perception Video Recorder.

I would like to know if there are any other cards out there that can
do what these three do in relatively the same price range.

Also, I would like a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of
one versus the other.

In Addition, I know I will need a somewhat special CPU setup to work
with these cards.  Can Anyone suggest the best Hard Drives, Sound
Cards and basic CPU setups.

Thanks

2. I NEED SVGA INFO

3. Windows 2000 or NT4.0 problem with pictures under Builder 5.0

4. IPAS? Where do I get the plug-ins for 3ds4?

5. windows NT4.0 or windows 2000 pro???

6. Background Question

7. PVR vs. Targa 2000

8. Perception vs. Targa 2000