NEWBIE NEWBIE question

Post by NUrB » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

This is probably a dumb question but I only have 1 month experience using
MAYA.
Whenever I create a shading group, the multilister displays the shading
group node under the GENERAL tab and the phongGroup node under the
MATERIALS tab.  What steps do I need to take in order to access the
phongGroup node using the shading group icon arrow?  It seems to me that
they are not linked.  I would greatly appreciate it if anyone explained the
hierarchy of shading nodes and how they are displayed in the multilister.
Thanks in advance:)

Daniel

NEWBIE NEWBIE question

Post by puc » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

There's no such thing as a dumb question, and despite what the ads say,
MAYA is NOT intuitive.
If the phongGroup you have created is not connected to the shadingGroup
(you can test this by double-clicking on the phongGroup and seeing what
comes up in the shadingGroup tab.), click-drag (with your middle mouse
button) the phongroup on top of the shadingGroup. This will connect them.

--Puck

Quote:> This is probably a dumb question but I only have 1 month experience using
> MAYA.
> Whenever I create a shading group, the multilister displays the shading
> group node under the GENERAL tab and the phongGroup node under the
> MATERIALS tab.  What steps do I need to take in order to access the
> phongGroup node using the shading group icon arrow?  It seems to me that
> they are not linked.  I would greatly appreciate it if anyone explained the
> hierarchy of shading nodes and how they are displayed in the multilister.
> Thanks in advance:)

> Daniel

NEWBIE NEWBIE question

Post by David Johnso » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >  I would greatly appreciate it if anyone explained the
> > hierarchy of shading nodes and how they are displayed in the multilister.

Hilite the shading group in the multilister, then select the pulldown
menu 'window-hypergraph hilighted' and the network of conections will be
displayed in the hypergraph. When you move the cursor over the
connecting arrow-lines, the names of the attributes that are connected
are displayed. I find this an important aid to checking and
understanding my shaders.

(You should also have a look at the connection editor)

--
David Johnson
http://www.animagrafx.com.au

http://www.access.net.au/~veryvery

1. Newbie newbie questions

OK, here's my gazillion newbie-questions to PRMan. I hope someone will
answer just a few of them .....

I haven't yet read The RenderMan Companion (I have ordered it - still
waiting) so maybe some of these questions will be answered there - but
I'm too impatient .... so please bear with me.

1. I'm using a Mac and am aware, of cause, that Pixar (Steve, how
could you!) has stopped developing MacRM. The last version of MacRMan
is 1.3.5b5. How does it differ in terms of functionality from the Unix
one - can I compile a shader, say from this usegroup and expect it to
work on the Mac?

2. I have heard rumers that The Valis Group is going to release a new
version of ShowPlace/RM. If that's true, will RM continue to get
updated for the Mac through Valis?

3. How does PRman do reflections in general. Do you have to render two
(or more) images - one from the reflective objects 'point of view' and
map it onto the actual object and rerender the scene, or is there a
simpler way? (I believe BMRT does raytracing, but since I have a Mac
etc. etc. ... BTW, does BMRT do raytracing WITH soft mapped shadows?)

4. Does anyone know of a photoshop plugin that enables you to open and
edit .Tex, .Bump and .Env images?

5. The PPC-platform, scheduled sometime late this year, will run the
Solaris Unix OS (I think) as well as MacOS and WinNT - does the
current PRman for Unix run on that OS?

6. I have heard of some docs called RenderMan Toolkit, is that
available on the net somewhere?

7. I have absolutety no knowledge of the C language what so ever, but
I have done some light 'programming' with Basic, Lingo and messed a
lot with the POV raytracer (and I think SOME of the RenderMan
interface resembles it). Should I forget about the whole thing?

2. need help for polygon tessellation

3. Newbie with newbie questions

4. Using plug-in

5. This may sound as a newbie question when really i'm not actually a newbie :)

6. Viewing Postscript

7. Newbie of newbie - help please !

8. Need a vector based converter

9. gif vs jpg (newbie to newbie)

10. Lightwave Newbie Not 3D Newbie - Looking for Tutorial URL's

11. hermite curves [newbie++][very newbie]

12. Newbie question on tif format

13. Newbie question/Scanned pix