un-parenting during animation

Post by Left » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know if an "un-parent" operation can be animated.
I have a ball parented to a piece of string, I need the ball to be knocked,
swing around, and drop off the string.
I needed to parent it to the string for the part where it swings around, and
it works great, but now I need it to drop off!
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've checked the manuals to no avail.

:)

Post by Igor Parshiko » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Does anyone know if an "un-parent" operation can be animated.

nope, but ...

point constraint (and maybe not only point; it depens on your animation)
will help you. U can animate the Node State or play with constraint weight.

Quote:

> I have a ball parented to a piece of string, I need the ball to be knocked,
> swing around, and drop off the string.
> I needed to parent it to the string for the part where it swings around, and
> it works great, but now I need it to drop off!
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've checked the manuals to no avail.

> :)

------------------------
Igor Parshikov (aka Ingvar)

un-parenting during animation

Post by A Tool F » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

you'll have to use constraints instead of parenting.  you can animate
constraints on and off.  Parenting is not animatable

Post by Robert Mage » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> you'll have to use constraints instead of parenting.  you can animate
> constraints on and off.  Parenting is not animatable

It is best not to turn the constraint on and off since you will get
update problems if you scroll around in the time slider. It is best to
constrain the object to the hand AND another object (locator) then
animate the weighting.

--
Robert Magee
Team Leader | Education Retail Publishing

www.aliaswavefront.com/assistant_online

un-parenting during animation

Post by A Tool F » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

True, thanks Robert, I do this but I call it turning on and off, quite
confusing isn't it.
Quote:>It is best not to turn the constraint on and off since you will get

Post by Steve Bende » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Does anyone know if an "un-parent" operation can be animated.
> I have a ball parented to a piece of string, I need the ball to be knocked,
> swing around, and drop off the string.
> I needed to parent it to the string for the part where it swings around, and
> it works great, but now I need it to drop off!
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've checked the manuals to no avail.

> :)

I've found an easier solution to this problem would be animate the constraint
between the two objects. Check your HELP menu under constraints. By animating
the point and orientation constraints, this would be real easy.

But in answer to your question, I have never animated the "parenting" of an
object, and I don't think it is possible (for various reasons). Use
constraints.

-Steve

Post by mad max » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

> you'll have to use constraints instead of parenting.  you can animate
> constraints on and off.  Parenting is not animatable

Try this, you expert, in Maya you can do anything.

string  $parentA="plane",

 $parentB="cone",

 $target="sphere";

string $parent[];

$parent=`listRelatives -p $target`;

if((frame<25)){  if($parent[0]!=$parentA)

  parent $target $parentA;

Quote:}

else

 if($parent[0]!=$parentB)

    parent  $target $parentB;

Greetings, Harry

un-parenting during animation

Post by A Tool F » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

alright "expert," technically this isn't animating, now instead of moving
simple key frames around you have to edit variables, if you have to do this a
lot you may need a switch in there and it gets messy after a while.  Yeah maya
is cool, you can edit parenting but expressions are slower than constraints and
sometimes they don't evaluate properly based on certain circumstances.
Frankly, I wouldn't use that method unless I really really needed to.  but
thats just my humble opinion...