Maya renderer: what's wrong with it?

Post by Pauli Oja » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I keep hearing things like "Softimage's biggest strength against Maya
is its renderer" or even "Maya's renderer has the ugliest output I've
ever seen". There appears to be a consensus that Maya's renderer just
isn't too good, but I haven't heard much about the actual reasons for
this. So, could someone point out to me some of the most important
differences between the renderers in Maya/Softimage (and maybe 3DSMax
too)? Thanks!

Pauli Ojala

Maya renderer: what's wrong with it?

Post by David Johnso » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

A friend does all his animation with a pencil on paper and it is amazing
animation. One day I borrowed that pencil, but I couldnt get it to work
anywhere near as well as my friend.

I have read the same comments as you have, but I disagree with the
apparant consensus. I have seen bad images that came out of all the
packages you refer to. I used to use renderman, now I use maya. They
both took some effort to get the results I wanted. Yes there are
differences, but I suspect it gets down to who created the image, not
what software.

(I didnt really answer your question though, did I?)
regards
david

--
David Johnson
http://www.animagrafx.com.au

http://www.veryvery.com.au

Maya renderer: what's wrong with it?

Post by dwgregg[nospam » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Good point.

Personally, as I've said before, in my professional artistic opinion, I find
the look and feel of Maya's native renderer to be very nice.  It is well
suited and well matched to any electronic imaging.  If I moved to another
renderer it would be greater speed that primarily attracted me.  The Maya
renderer is not fast and there are some things that it does not do as well
as IPR, Houdini, Pixar or Mental Ray, but nobody does it all and each have
their strengths and weaknesses.  Last I heard Mental Ray was extremely slow
(and I always found Soft as a company to be pretentious and arrogant),
Houdini's new renderer took a couple of years to optimize and stabilize from
its first release and I was never that fond of the look of Explore's
original IPR (though I owned it).  Houdini's handling of field renders is
reported to be vastly superior from friends who have both (I generally
render double length full frames more frequently than I had to with TAV's
lightening fast if primitive renderer). Explore's IPR is said to handle
textures both faster and better than Maya's renderer (again from reports of
friends who have both).

I have no doubt that much remains to be done with Maya's renderer.  It needs
great improvements in speed, field render improvements, texture handling
quality and speed, and should really address the needs of its critics in
film production and no doubt it will soon need a lot of things that haven't
been invented yet.  Ideally it would be the fastest and best in all
categories, but generally in the real world I find it pretty easy to get
good looking stuff out of it fairly painlessly.  But then I've been an
artist since I was in the first grade and I've been in CGI since the dawn of
history.  Some times it just comes down to a matter of personal taste and
style.

> A friend does all his animation with a pencil on paper and it is amazing
> animation. One day I borrowed that pencil, but I couldnt get it to work
> anywhere near as well as my friend.

> I have read the same comments as you have, but I disagree with the
> apparant consensus. I have seen bad images that came out of all the
> packages you refer to. I used to use renderman, now I use maya. They
> both took some effort to get the results I wanted. Yes there are
> differences, but I suspect it gets down to who created the image, not
> what software.

> (I didnt really answer your question though, did I?)
> regards
> david

> > I keep hearing things like "Softimage's biggest strength against Maya
> > is its renderer" or even "Maya's renderer has the ugliest output I've
> > ever seen". There appears to be a consensus that Maya's renderer just
> > isn't too good, but I haven't heard much about the actual reasons for
> > this. So, could someone point out to me some of the most important
> > differences between the renderers in Maya/Softimage (and maybe 3DSMax
> > too)? Thanks!

> > Pauli Ojala

> --
> David Johnson
> http://www.animagrafx.com.au

> http://www.veryvery.com.au

Maya renderer: what's wrong with it?

Post by Terry Dobb » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Dear Pauli,

Ask and you shall receive! The answer is "Multipass Rendering". You can find
a tutorial in one of the recent additions (past 6 mths) of DCC magazine. The
author tells of the same woes and how his college peers all wondered the
same thing, how does our proffesor get such good images when ours are so
bad. The answer, "Multipass!".

Sincerely,
Terry Dobbs

Quote:

> I keep hearing things like "Softimage's biggest strength against Maya
> is its renderer" or even "Maya's renderer has the ugliest output I've
> ever seen". There appears to be a consensus that Maya's renderer just
> isn't too good, but I haven't heard much about the actual reasons for
> this. So, could someone point out to me some of the most important
> differences between the renderers in Maya/Softimage (and maybe 3DSMax
> too)? Thanks!

> Pauli Ojala

1. Renderers, Renderers, Renderers...

Hello all!  I need a little help.  I'm sortof shopping
around for public domain and commercial rendering graphics
library type software.  It needs to be able to render in
real-time.  It needs to be able to render arbitrary polymodels
as well as basic primitives (sphere, cylinder, cone, etc...)
For Unix/X!  Basically I need this thing to be the graphical
environment for viewing a virtual robotics workcell, so I'm sure
there are issues I'm not thinking of that some of you might
know of :-)
I would also like it to lend itself easily to overlaying graphics
wireframes onto a REAL captured image.

So that's pretty much what I'm
looking for.  Anyone know of anything out there that fits
the bill???  I'd appreciate any info at all.  What's good?
What's bad?  That sort of thing.  Thanks in advance!

Douglas Haanpaa

2. Triple Buffer problem

3. 'Node1' Standalone Renderer

4. PS 5.5 Locking Up HELP!!!

5. 'Node1' Standalone renderer

6. OpenGL on DJGPP

7. EXE-file with 'wrong' icon

8. Apollo 13

9. bmrt vs maya renderer

10. Maya is rendering everything wrong!

11. Global Illumination Renderer for MAYA

12. maya renderer...