Creating Plants and Trees...

Post by Christian W Petzn » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

        I need to create some plants to put into a scene (some sort of bush like
sh*y in pots), and I have looked through the manuals and the
AliasASSISTANT for some pointers, but no joy.  I have also tried a 3DStudio
twig-like-thing that I found, but it creates a huge amount of data (the wire
file is now 8Mb).  I was hoping for either a wire file, or a shader that will
do the job, but just a few pointers will do...

        I spent hours lookiing around the net for some models but to no avail, and the
ones that I did find created too much data, if there is a simpler way other
than drawing each leaf and moving it around, then please let me know (maybe it
could go into the next AliasASSISTANT (if they still publish them...)

Cheers in advance,
Chris.

Christian Petzny                                    Design Researcher

http://www.veryComputer.com/:8080/~dtpgcwp/      +44 (0)1748 431341

Creating Plants and Trees...

Post by Chris Kazmie » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

 Find someone with Amap for the PC or Softimage. It can generate low to
high res polygon models. Then you can export them into dxf or obj's.
Viewpoint now also offers plants from Amap as well.

Chris,
_______________________________

Chris Kazmier

Animation/ FX

Green Rabbit Design Studios Inc.

-------------------------------

3101 N. Central Ave.

Suite 520
Phoenix, AZ. 85004

602.277.2888

fax 602.277.0555
800.804.2005

_______________________________

Creating Plants and Trees...

Post by Dong Ki » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> Find someone with Amap for the PC or Softimage. It can generate low to
>high res polygon models. Then you can export them into dxf or obj's.
>Viewpoint now also offers plants from Amap as well.

Or if you have access to a Mac, TreePro by Onyx Computing makes some really
beautiful, detailed trees.  Only thing is that it's polygonal.  I haven't read the
original post, but couldn't you do some trickery with a particle system?

Dong Kim

digital camerastand, compositing, 3d animation guy
I'm thinking, but nothing's happening...

www.pacificnet.net/~dkim (under heavy construction)

213-555-yah right!!!

Creating Plants and Trees...

Post by Antoine Du » Tue, 22 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Hi,

:       I need to create some plants to put into a scene (some sort of bush like
: sh*y in pots), and I have looked through the manuals and the

At pete.cs.caltech.edu, there's a whole L-system that a fellow named
Leech did.  It puts out .ps files, plus a host of ascii 3D
representations.  It would be very easy to convert one of those to
something that Alias can read (e.g. a Wavefront .obj file), although it
would remain polygonal.

-- Antoine

Creating Plants and Trees...

Post by Christian W Petzn » Tue, 22 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Thanks for your help,

        unfortunately there is nobody around with either AMAP, Softimage (only an
ancient version without trees...) or TreePro, and this university certainly
will not spend money on a tree generator...

        I have looked at prticle systems to generate trees, and it is great for
weeping willow type things, but for the type or tree I want, I'd have to medel
each branch and then get it to spew particles which may look like leaves, this
process though would kill rendering time even more than I have now with the 3DS
DXF model.

        I don't suppose anyone knows of any shareware tree makers or demos of the ones
mentioned above?

Cheers,
Chris.
Christian Petzny                                    Design Researcher

http://http1.brunel.ac.uk:8080/~dtpgcwp/      +44 (0)1748 431341

Creating Plants and Trees...

Post by Ian Justi » Wed, 23 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>Hi,

        I need to create some plants to put into a scene (some sort of bush
like
sh*y in pots), and I have looked through the manuals and the
AliasASSISTANT for some pointers, but no joy.  I have also tried a 3DStudio
twig-like-thing that I found, but it creates a huge amount of data (the wire
file is now 8Mb).  I was hoping for either a wire file, or a shader that will
do the job, but just a few pointers will do...

        I spent hours lookiing around the net for some models but to no avail,
and the
ones that I did find created too much data, if there is a simpler way other
than drawing each leaf and moving it around, then please let me know (maybe it
could go into the next AliasASSISTANT (if they still publish them...)

Cheers in advance,
Chris.<<
---------------------------------------
Hi Chris...

The 'Alias ASSISTant' is still published, but it is now of course called the
'Alias | Wavefront ASSISTant'...or just the 'ASSISTant' to avoid making the
publication 4" wider.

It will include articles on both the ex-Alias and ex-Wavefront products and
likely be almost double the size for that reason.

I will pass on the suggestion of your need for instructions on making an Alias
'sh*y'...Ni, Ni, Ni, although I know that the content for the next issue
is already well under way.

Best regards,   Ian Justin - Manager Alias | Wavefront Assist

Creating Plants and Trees...

Post by Bill Leona » Wed, 23 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> Hi,

>         I need to create some plants to put into a scene (some sort of
bush like
> sh*y in pots), and I have looked through the manuals and the
> AliasASSISTANT for some pointers, but no joy.

There's a great app out on the Mac calle Tree Professional 3.0 and it
doesn exactly what you want.  Makes INCREDBLE looking trees.  There are
two drawbacks:

For a lot of detail, the files do become quite large.  But believe me when
I say you've never seen a better computer generated pine tree!

Also, it only exports DXF format, so no curves, etc... lots of polys.

It's worth it though.  Most trees do not have to have extreme amounts of
detain for most animations, and this program gives a great amount of
control over the final file size.

It's $600 and comes from Onyx Computing in Cambridge, Mass.

Bill Leonard

                               *.lab g.f.x.
  3D Animation * Modeling * Special Effects * Station ID Packages * Pre-Viz

                                 407.425.5722
                  http://www.veryComputer.com/~bill_l/top.html

Creating Plants and Trees...

Post by Alan Bouc » Thu, 24 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> Thanks for your help,

>         unfortunately there is nobody around with either AMAP, Softimage
(only an
> ancient version without trees...) or TreePro, and this university certainly
> will not spend money on a tree generator...

>         I have looked at prticle systems to generate trees, and it is
great for
> weeping willow type things, but for the type or tree I want, I'd have to medel
> each branch and then get it to spew particles which may look like leaves, this
> process though would kill rendering time even more than I have now with
the 3DS
> DXF model.

>         I don't suppose anyone knows of any shareware tree makers or
demos of the ones
> mentioned above?

The one major commercial tree generator (Tree Pro from Onyx Computing)
isn't all that expensive (US$395 at SIGGRAPH), and I imagine that they
might make some sort of an educational deal.

Onyx- 617-876-3876

--

       New York, New York

Creating Plants and Trees...

Post by Stephen Theodo » Thu, 24 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>         I need to create some plants to put into a scene (some sort of
bush like
> sh*y in pots), and I have looked through the manuals and the

Just use a green-ish lambert shader whose tranparency is mapped to an
sCloud texture (the description in the manual get you started. You can
manipulate this into many varieties of cotton-ball-esque shrubs by
applying it to spheroids and lumping said spheroids together. (hint:
usually the "shrub" occupies only about 50% of the volume of the
spheroidal geometry, so you may have big looking shrubs  in your wire
file. Do a lot of tests.  If you need internal twigs, you can get OK
results with an inverted cone (black lambert) with a grid transmap and a
funky smearmap on the grid to randomize it. For anything that gets a lot
of close attention, you'll need to model something or use a dxf from
"tree" on the mac; but for roadside shrubs in a drive thru or suchlike,
these tricks can work fine.

Another possibile is to use a high degree of subdivisions, a complex
dismap, a solid-noise transparency map, and the "opacity depth" option to
make shrubs. The opacity-depth combined with the dismap and the noisy
transmap makes for a nice soft & irregular (ie. leafy) profile.  This
works wll for a whole hedge, not so hot for a single plant.

Creating Plants and Trees...

Post by Antoine Du » Fri, 25 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: At pete.cs.caltech.edu, there's a whole L-system that a fellow named
: Leech did.  It puts out .ps files, plus a host of ascii 3D
: representations.  It would be very easy to convert one of those to
: something that Alias can read (e.g. a Wavefront .obj file), although it
: would remain polygonal.

Correction:

ftp.cs.unc.edu, under /pub/users/leech

Sorry for the confusion.

-- Antoine

Creating Plants and Trees...

Post by JueyChong O » Sat, 26 Aug 1995 04:00:00

   Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.alias

   Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 18:07:13 GMT

   : Hi,

   :    I need to create some plants to put into a scene (some sort of bush like
   : sh*y in pots), and I have looked through the manuals and the

   At pete.cs.caltech.edu, there's a whole L-system that a fellow named
   Leech did.  It puts out .ps files, plus a host of ascii 3D
   representations.  It would be very easy to convert one of those to
   something that Alias can read (e.g. a Wavefront .obj file), although it
   would remain polygonal.

   -- Antoine

There is also an OpenAlias plugin that will do fractal trees.
I've not played with it, but it looks like it will do simple
vegetation, probably not as elaborate as what an L-system
generator can do.

--jc

Systems Concierge
Monkey Products Software Development and Tech Support
inScape Products Tech Support and Development
Cricket Tech Support

Digital Image Design Incorporated
72 Spring Street Sixth Floor, New York, NY 10012, USA
Phone: +1 (212) 343 2442 ext. 225
Fax:   +1 (212) 343 0440