realistic car paint shader

Post by karl lohninge » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> does anyone know the setting for doing a photorealistic shader for
> carpaint with a high gloss???

> there's a good chance to find something from duncan at the ne a/w site
> under duncan's tips.

regards, karl

realistic car paint shader

Post by Benjamin Radcliff » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

does anyone know the setting for doing a photorealistic shader for
carpaint with a high gloss???

thanks
--

Benjamin Radcliffe
"three-d visualizer"

realistic car paint shader

Post by Joe Monah » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Yup, its Duncan's Corner again.....

http://www.aw.sgi.com/pages/home/pages/lounge/pages/duncans_corner/in...

Look under "Shaders"

Joe

--
Joe Monahan
AZ State U.

realistic car paint shader

Post by Benjamin Radcliff » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Yup, its Duncan's Corner again.....

It doesn't give all the sttings when it says specular color does it mean
turn the value up to 3 or 4???

what about the roll-off and the eccentricity
and what about the diffuse??
nothing so far has looked good.

thanks

Post by David Johnso » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > Yup, its Duncan's Corner again.....

> It doesn't give all the sttings when it says specular color does it mean
> turn the value up to 3 or 4???

> what about the roll-off and the eccentricity
> and what about the diffuse??
> nothing so far has looked good.

Hi,
        you can put numbers into the multilister that are outside the range
that you get by just dragging the slider. The programmers have actually
used some of these to do tricky things. In this case there is a formula
that you can use to relate the specular-level, the specular-rolloff, and
the reflectivety (and possibly the eccentricity). I cant remember the
formular, but i tend to set it up by a bit of trial and error. Heres my
guess as the relevant settings for the glossy-nailpolish-cum-car-duco
look.

        spec-level=2, spec-rolloff=0.85, eccentricity=0.18, reflectivity=0.2

        This will give you strong specular hilites and glassy reflections.

Regards,
david

--
David Johnson
http://www.animagrafx.com.au

http://www.access.net.au/~veryvery

1. Car shader

How could i make a good-looking shader for a car. I have experimented a lot
but i just can't handle it...
An example of what i would like to make is here:
http://www.aw.sgi.com/assistant_online/entertain/maya/how_tos/renderi...
tics/img/test4.jpg
the car has exactly the look i'm trying to get...

2. SIGGRAPH usergroup meeting...when?

3. RIB shader : realistic bone/skin aspect ?

4. Matrox 3.0 drivers for Win95 now available!

5. How do you make gloss black Car paint???

6. Selection of objects

7. airbrush painting a car, how?

8. Help with PSP6

9. Car metal paint

10. Question?? car painting

11. ANN: new shader article, Using Vertex Shaders, Part III: Optimizing the Tweening Vertex Shader, is live

12. hand painted background look for cel shader characters?

13. Automotive multi-layer paint shader