Text/Logo modelling question

Post by Mozema » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to do a text model with a slightly bowed surface, like a car's
hood decoration (does that make sense).  In other words, instead of a flat
planar on the surface of the text, I'd like a slight bulge in the surface.

Any ideas how I might accomplish this?

--
Mozeman
*****************************

*****************************

Text/Logo modelling question

Post by MiG » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to do a text model with a slightly bowed surface, like a car's
> hood decoration (does that make sense).  In other words, instead of a flat
> planar on the surface of the text, I'd like a slight bulge in the surface.

> Any ideas how I might accomplish this?

Yes! There are milions of ways to accompilsh that!
I have a few for you that are the easiest way to do....
(All the dashes are ways to do it, not steps!).

- Add a displacement map to the shader of the surface.
- Duplicated the vertices, polygons (whatever) and pull them up.
- Make several bevels and then smooth them.

Greets,

Marco

Post by Igor Parshiko » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to do a text model with a slightly bowed surface,

Do you want to create a  flat text (without depth) with a slightly bowed front
surface?
Or ... if it has depth ...which surface do you want to bow?

> like a car's
> hood decoration (does that make sense).  In other words, instead of a flat
> planar on the surface of the text, I'd like a slight bulge in the surface.

> Any ideas how I might accomplish this?

> --
> Mozeman
> *****************************

> *****************************

------------------------
Igor Parshikov (aka Ingvar)

Text/Logo modelling question

Post by Mozema » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Think of it as text with a slightly convex plane.  I can add the extrusion
for side dimension, but I need a convex surface to the front of the text
itself.

--
Mozeman
*****************************

*****************************

> > I am trying to do a text model with a slightly bowed surface,

> Do you want to create a  flat text (without depth) with a slightly bowed
front
> surface?
> Or ... if it has depth ...which surface do you want to bow?

> > like a car's
> > hood decoration (does that make sense).  In other words, instead of a
flat
> > planar on the surface of the text, I'd like a slight bulge in the
surface.

> > Any ideas how I might accomplish this?

> > --
> > Mozeman
> > *****************************

> > *****************************

> ------------------------
> Igor Parshikov (aka Ingvar)

Text/Logo modelling question

Post by watermellon.. » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

try creating the text as curves and then projecting them onto a 4X4
span nurbs plain. You should then be able to trim the plain and add a
bend deformer or whatever to make it the shape you want. You may want
to set the trim node to 'has no effect' whilst you play with the
deformer to speed things up a bit. hope this helps.

> Think of it as text with a slightly convex plane.  I can add the
extrusion
> for side dimension, but I need a convex surface to the front of the
text
> itself.

> --
> Mozeman
> *****************************

> *****************************

> > > I am trying to do a text model with a slightly bowed surface,

> > Do you want to create a  flat text (without depth) with a slightly
bowed
> front
> > surface?
> > Or ... if it has depth ...which surface do you want to bow?

> > > like a car's
> > > hood decoration (does that make sense).  In other words, instead
of a
> flat
> > > planar on the surface of the text, I'd like a slight bulge in the
> surface.

> > > Any ideas how I might accomplish this?

> > > --
> > > Mozeman
> > > *****************************

> > > *****************************

> > ------------------------
> > Igor Parshikov (aka Ingvar)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Igor Parshiko » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Do you like

want

Quote:> something like on my pictures?

------------------------
Igor Parshikov (aka Ingvar)

Text/Logo modelling question

Post by Mozema » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Something very much like the second photo, even with the chrome shader.  Do
you have this shader saved as .ma?  Could I borrow it and see what you did?
Looks great.

--
Mozeman
*****************************

*****************************

----

----

Text/Logo modelling question

Post by Mozema » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Thank you for your help.  I got the bump map place and it works great.

Now my question is how you set up your texture for the chrome surface.  I
tried envChrome but it does not distort with the bump map.  How did you
accomplish this?

--
Mozeman
*****************************

*****************************

> > Something very much like the second photo, even with the chrome shader.
Do
> > you have this shader saved as .ma?

> the key point is not the shader, more exactly not only the shader.

> > Could I borrow it and see what you did?
> > Looks great.

> My idea was simple.
> I created the text (in this particular case the "G" letter),
> then made the white shader ->assigned it to the text -> rendered the text
from
> the front view->
> the next step is most interesting, I played with blur and masks in
Photoshop
> (I've found
> that Filter Type, Filter value, and Filter Offset are too rough and not
always
> work correctly .)->assign the image created in PH
> as the projection (planar) bump texture->played with Bump Depth and Bump
Filter

----

Post by Igor Parshiko » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Thank you for your help.

you're welcome

Quote:>  I got the bump map place and it works great.

> Now my question is how you set up your texture for the chrome surface.  I
> tried envChrome but it does not distort with the bump map.  How did you
> accomplish this?

this is from the Maya's docs:
If you are bump-mapping a shader that is using environment maps, then you must
connect the Out Normal attribute of the bump
node to the Normal Camera attribute of the Environment Texture, as well as to
the Normal Camera attribute of the shader.
Otherwise, the environment will not be correctly reflected in the bumpy areas.
There is a MEL script to do this for you; after you
have connected the Out Color of the environment map to the Reflected Color of
the shader, type "cnctBumpProjNormal
shader-name" in the command line, replacing shader-name with the name of your
shader.
------------------------
Igor Parshikov (aka Ingvar)

Text/Logo modelling question

Post by Mozema » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Success.

Thanks very much for all your help.  Sorry for posting the Tif.  I guess I
was just heady with this particular challenge and forgot what I was doing.

Thanks again.

--
Mozeman
*****************************

*****************************

> Hi, Moze!

> > Okay.  I've connected the Out Normal of the bump to the Normal Camera of
the
> > shader,

> it's not the goal

> > but I can't seem to find the Normal Camera for the Env. texture.

> if your Environment Texture in the right part of the Connection Editor:
> Right Side Filters->Show Hidden (toggle it).

> Have fun and ... don't send tiffs to the newsgroup :) OK?

> BTW why do you use Env Chrome? I think you'll get the better results with
your
> own textures.
> Look at my samples.
> ------------------------
> Igor Parshikov (aka Ingvar)

----

----

1. Rotating Logos / Text - Beginners question

Is there any shareware out there that will automate the process of
creating a rotating logo or text (that's rotating around an axis
paralell to the screen, not perpendicular to it), or is such a thing
not possible?

Any help in this direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

D. Miles

2. Printing JPEG

3. LOGOS-LOGOS-LOGOS...

4. CHECK OUT MY SITE

5. I like text file modelling!

6. Adjustment Layers for a dummy

7. Text Problem for new logo

8. Curved text in logo

9. Text effects for logo PLEASE ASSIST!

10. !! Personal 3D Logos, Graphics, Text, for your Homepage !!!

11. Jaggies on text logo

12. Save Text Logo for Web?