Industrial Light + Magic Employment

Post by Station 1 » Fri, 05 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Can anyone out there in that vast world possibly tell me what the average
yearly income for an ILM animator is? I've been trying to find this out for
many months and can't find any info!

I'm not talking supervisor positions or anything thing that.

If you could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

~Keith

Industrial Light + Magic Employment

Post by Shepar » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

<HTML>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Someone posted an extract from new-york times (i
think) on this group
<BR>re: boss films closing down, and in the article a figure of
<BR>US$104,000p.a. was quoted as the average sallary for an animator in
the
<BR>usa.
<BR>Could that be correct?</BLOCKQUOTE>
Ha! $104,000! ! ! Hahahahaha. . .Hmmm. . . I couldn't imagine that being
average. If so, I'm missing something.
<BR>--
<BR>| Shepard - Alias|Wavefront/Houdini|Prisms/After Effects|PhotoShop
<BR>| Computer Animator|Compositing|FX|Designer|<B><FONT COLOR="#3333FF">Blue</FONT></B>
Eyes

<P>"Things that are digital are never complete. Live in Beta."
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

Industrial Light + Magic Employment

Post by Joe Monah » Sun, 07 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I'm not in any way an expert in this area, but my impression is:

A couple years ago gamers and some effects houses were flush with money on
the heels of some wildly successful undertakings like Myst, Doom, and
certain CGI movies.

At that time anyone with experience with the software could get a good job
that paid well. Since then there has been a shake out since the number of
people familiar with the software has grown exponentially while the the
talent has remained pretty much static.

It seems that the novelty has worn off to some extent and that only those
with talent can demand those salaries.

But now, more then ever, there is a huge contigency of young computer
animator wanna-bees that are hell bent on reinventing the wheel.

Joe

--
Joe Monahan
AZ State U.

Post by Wilmer L » Mon, 15 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>> tell me what the average yearly income for an ILM animator is?

probably a lot.

Quote:>Someone posted an extract from new-york times (i think) on this group
>re: boss films closing down, and in the article a figure of
>US$104,000p.a. was quoted as the average sallary for an animator in the

yes, it is correct.  for film industry professionals, whether it be a
costume designer or grip or assistant director or CGI lighter, this is
an average salary.  it's not so high because the hours worked is
usually 60-80 hours a week, depending on what production facility you
work in.

an it is average for UNION people, members of IATSE.

There are plenty of non-union employees who make way way less because
many start up facilities can't afford those salaries (and neither can
most of the union houses).

Quote:>Could that be correct?
>Its plenty more than we get down under.

getting a union job is really tough.  it's means paying your dues,
usually with several years of working for peanuts at a smaller
company.

in Hollywood, a teamster can make that kind of money (driving a
truck),.  yeah, unions are kinda screwed up.

oh, successful businessmen/women make helluva lot more than $104,000 a
year.  it's not that much when you think about how much used car
dealerships make.

W.

Industrial Light + Magic Employment

Post by Ira Sha » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

 This whole thread strikes me as funny. I didn't see the article but did
 they attribute where they got that number from ?

 If you look at

 http://www.awn.com/MPSC839/WGSV9704.HTM

 This is the wage survey conducted by the MPSC and it needs to be viewed
 with some perspective.

 With 57.9% of those surveyed responding, T.D.'s averaged $1,593.50 (US) per
 week at union shops.

 With 45.5% of those surveyed responding, "C.G. Animators" averaged $1,600.00
 (US) per week at union shops.

 By my math neither of these computes to $104,000.00 per year. Dont believe
 everything you read, somebody somewhere is spinning the info to fit the
 particular slant they want to put on the story they are trying to tell.

 Ira Shain

Post by Wilmer L » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> This whole thread strikes me as funny. I didn't see the article but did
> they attribute where they got that number from ?
> If you look at
> http://www.awn.com/MPSC839/WGSV9704.HTM
> This is the wage survey conducted by the MPSC and it needs to be viewed
> with some perspective.
> With 57.9% of those surveyed responding, T.D.'s averaged $1,593.50 (US) per
> week at union shops.
> With 45.5% of those surveyed responding, "C.G. Animators" averaged $1,600.00
> (US) per week at union shops.
> By my math neither of these computes to $104,000.00 per year. Dont believe
> everything you read, somebody somewhere is spinning the info to fit the
> particular slant they want to put on the story they are trying to tell.

Oh, what's misleading is perhaps the article itself.  I believe the LA
Times just got a figure of everyone at MPSC, not just the CGI people.
'Cause no way are there 7000 CGI people in LA, not when the biggest
shops here only have three or four hundred people.  I interpreted the
figure to be a toal of all the MPSC, with traditional animators
averaged in.  Since the traditional animators make way more than CG
people, the figure is inflated.

However, speaking to the president of a large CG house in Marina del
Rey confirmed my beliefs.  A good CG person makes roughly 100k a year.

You sure don't start at 100k but after several years of doing it
professionally, that's the going rate.

W.

Industrial Light + Magic Employment

Post by 3D Maste » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I have been looking into this lately and that seems about right but
remember that pay scale means you have several years of SGI experience, you
work for a film related company, and that you are very very talented.  You
should also usually come from a background in traditional art skills as
well.

Carmine

> > tell me what the average yearly income for an ILM animator is?

> Someone posted an extract from new-york times (i think) on this group
> re: boss films closing down, and in the article a figure of
> US$104,000p.a. was quoted as the average sallary for an animator in the
> usa.
> Could that be correct?
> Its plenty more than we get down under.

> regards
> david

> --
> David Johnson
> http://www.animagrafx.com.au

> http://www.access.net.au/~veryvery

1. Industrial Light + Magic Employment

Can anyone out there in that vast world possibly tell me what the average
yearly income for an ILM animator is? I've been trying to find this out for
many months and can't find any info!

I'm not talking supervisor positions or anything thing that.

If you could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

~Keith

2. comets in Lightwave

3. GIF and JPEG Formats

4. Industrial Light And Magic -- Any info on activities ?

5. C++Builder - OpenGL - And Pentium code

6. Industrial Light and Magic

7. 3D Studio ASC -> POV converter(need add. help !pls!)

8. need address of Industrial Light and Magic

9. Industrial Light & Magic

10. Need address of Industrial Light and Magic

11. Industrial Light and Magic

12. Industrial Light & Magic