maya renderer...

Post by shol » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 05:25:48

i find that maya render really BAD
but i got to use it
so the following are problems I find and hope anyone know the solution can
tell me:

1) NURBS not smooth!!!!!!!!
and if i set the tesellation setting high, it takes very very long to render
just to make it smooth.
Also, maunally set the tesselation setting high for each object is
time-consuming....

2)when the camera is animated, some surface, particualry "walls" will
sudeenly disappear when the camera reach some position.

3)it is generally SLOW...especially when there is many objects in the scene

4)some times texture got "flaws"....

5) only raytracing for reflection and refraction, no auto-gernerated
reflection map like MAX and renderman
but ratracing is very time consuming.....

maya renderer...

Post by A Tool F » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:27:55

learn to optimize the renderer and you'll be well off.  I have very few
problems with maya's renderer outside of the occasional crash or glitch because
I taught myself as much as I could about the renderer and how it works with
maya, what the pitfalls are, and how to speed things up.

On an average scene with over 3000 surfaces tesselated enough to be smooth and
the highest anti-aliasing settings I can slim the render times down to under 2
minutes per frame.  Only when you start doing extremely advanced things like
fur, raytrace (which has always been computationally slow....even(especially)
in MAX)  or high res 3d motion blur, you can slim render times down pretty low.

maya renderer...

Post by shol » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:40:37

so can you give me some tips on optimizing the scene to render in maya?

if anyone can provide solutions/sugguestions to my mentioned points will be
highly appreciated:)

1) NURBS not smooth!!!!!!!!
and if i set the tesellation setting high, it takes very very long to render
just to make it smooth.
Also, maunally set the tesselation setting high for each object is
time-consuming....

2)when the camera is animated, some surface, particualry "walls" will
sudeenly disappear when the camera reach some position.

3)it is generally SLOW...especially when there is many objects in the scene

4)some times texture got "flaws"....

5) only raytracing for reflection and refraction, no auto-gernerated
reflection map like MAX and renderman
but ratracing is very time consuming.....

maya renderer...

Post by Michael Nikelsk » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:15:28

Hi,

I will try it:

Quote:> so can you give me some tips on optimizing the scene to render in maya?

> if anyone can provide solutions/sugguestions to my mentioned points will
be
> highly appreciated:)

> 1) NURBS not smooth!!!!!!!!
> and if i set the tesellation setting high, it takes very very long to
render
> just to make it smooth.
> Also, maunally set the tesselation setting high for each object is
> time-consuming....

First of all, you can set the tesselation for all your objects using the
Attribute Spreadsheet. Also, I recommend not to use the default settings but
use explicit tesselation - this way you will have better control over your
objects tesselation. I personally dont like the secondary tesselation
options since they are quite difficult to handle. The only thing I quite
always turn on, is the smooth edge, especially usefull when you have beveled
Text.

Quote:

> 2)when the camera is animated, some surface, particualry "walls" will
> sudeenly disappear when the camera reach some position.

I guess this is a clipping plane problem. Just play around with your
clipping plane settings of the camera. Also, I experienced, that setting the
FRONT-clipping plane to a slightly higher number than the default of 0.1
(say, 5 or so) gives me a great reduction of clipping problems. For some
funny reason, the Auto Render Clipping plane doesnt work very well on some
scenes, so you might try turning it off.

Quote:> 3)it is generally SLOW...especially when there is many objects in the
scene

Well, which renderer ist not? But I admit, Maya is quite slow (although when
you use raytracing and 3D-Motion blur the renderer seems to be faster than
Max or older Mental Ray Version (<2.0)).
For some optimization I would recommend to 1. adjust your tesselations, 2.
dont use extensive shading networks when you could convert them to
file-textures. Especially shading-networks wiht bump-mapping are terrible
slow (at least in Maya 2.5 which I use). Also use the iff or sgi
image-format for your textures which should be rectangular if possible
(improves quality). 3. Play around with shading samples and max shading
samples - this can give large improvements. Depending on the media you are
rendering for use different filters - a box-blur works well for TV since it
makes everything a bit blurry and reduces flickering.

Quote:> 4)some times texture got "flaws"....

Dont know what exactly you mean.

Quote:> 5) only raytracing for reflection and refraction, no auto-gernerated
> reflection map like MAX and renderman
> but ratracing is very time consuming.....

That one disturbs me a lot, too. However, there was a tutorial somewhere in
the Maya community that can fake this quite well for some situations.

Hope this helps

maya renderer...

Post by shol » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 02:06:27

thx for ur sugguestrionsssssssss
for auto-refelection map problem,
u mean which tutorial ?
i find one that can fake it by rendering the reflection map first MAUNALLY
i'm doing animation, so AUTO is a must!
is the tutorial u saw AUTO or what?

> [...]

> slow (at least in Maya 2.5 which I use). Also use the iff or sgi
> image-format for your textures which should be rectangular if possible
> (improves quality). 3. Play around with shading samples and max shading
> samples - this can give large improvements. Depending on the media you are
> rendering for use different filters - a box-blur works well for TV since
it
> makes everything a bit blurry and reduces flickering.

> > 4)some times texture got "flaws"....

> Dont know what exactly you mean.

> > 5) only raytracing for reflection and refraction, no auto-gernerated
> > reflection map like MAX and renderman
> > but ratracing is very time consuming.....

> That one disturbs me a lot, too. However, there was a tutorial somewhere
in
> the Maya community that can fake this quite well for some situations.

maya renderer...

Post by Dry Lightnin » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:31:27

Actually, in the book "The Art of Maya", there is a really nice section
on how to use the camera in Maya to set up the images for use with
Enviroment/Box/Sphere reflection maps. Since i doubt i could post the
stuff here without permission from AW, i'll avoid that, but if you know
anybody whos got the book, borrow it, or buy if it you got some cash to
burn. (kinda pricy, but worth it i think).
-Chad

--
Last Dragon Post
Redifining Post For A New Age

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. bmrt vs maya renderer

Hi folks!

- is there any good reason to use the BMRT instead of mayas inbuilt
renderer?
which one is the faster and gives better quality

- is there any incompatibility issue when talking about maya and
poweranimator?

- bmrt is a 100% renderman clone? (when about compatibility)

thanks

Ikladi Andras
-----------------

2. BONES PRO Help!!

3. Maya Renderer

4. Is there a repeat command in 6.5?

5. Maya renderer: what's wrong with it?

6. MOMO Club Theme for Oct 13th. JOIN in the fun.

7. TO AW, Maya Renderer 1.5 and 2.0

8. maya renderer

9. Maya Renderer compared to BMRT

10. Maya Renderer